Pirate 4x4 banner

--- 80 Proof --- TJ Juggy Build

250K views 564 replies 109 participants last post by  Diablo169 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry after 3 days of trying to find a name for my build, 80 Proof is the best I could come up with. I haven't been feeling creative lately

First off, big thanks to all the great vendors on here.

This thread will cover the build up of my 00’ 4.0L TJ, and is not for the faint of heart, or democrats. I jumped on the band wagon and hacked up a decent low mile TJ. This will be a firewall back Juggy build. What will be left of the original TJ will be the upper half of the firewall, the cowl, hood and grill, as well as the frame to about where the seats are. The rest will be DOM tubing.

I debated whether or not to post my build because there are so many TJ builds already. But I figured what the hell, if it inspires someone or gives someone an idea then I guess it’s worth it.

That being said I am not an engineer, fabricator or body man. However, I’m a decent welder, and have researched a ton over the years as far a cage and suspension design. I am up for debate if someone sees errors or a flaws in my work or design.

This build began after I endoed at Pismo (Oceano Dunes) and pretty much destroyed the tub. The windshield pushed the B pillar hoop back and pulled the tub up and bent it in the middle. Also, destroyed the hood and windshield. It was suppose to be my last trip before I built an actual cage.

Parts and specifications (will keep updating):

4.0L (for now)
NV3550 (for now)
Atlas II 4.3
406YJ Custom H1 Wheels (Absolutely beautiful!)
43x14x16.5 TSL SX’s (On order)
115” to 120” Wheelbase
1 ¾” DOM .125
1 ¾” DOM .095 (bracing)
12.000lb Mile Marker
RCI 5 point harness’s
Beard Super Seats
RCI 12x12x30 Alu cell
E2000 Fuel Pump
Regulator (undecided)
XRP Stainless Lines

Front:
91’ HP60 Yukon 5.38’s
ARB
Ballistic Fab Truss and lower links
Poly Performance Track bar bracket and frame mounts
Knuckles (undecided)
Letzroll/ Beyond Insanity high steer arms
PSC Full Hydro
1350 Extreme slip South Bay Driveline
2” DOM .250 Links
16” Fox coilovers
XRP Stainless Lines

Rear:
14 Bolt Nitro 5.38’s
Grizzle Locker
Blue Torch Truss with pinion guard
Ballistic Fab Shave kit
Barns 4WD disc brackets
1350 CV shaft South Bay Driveline
2” DOM .250 Link
16” Fox coilovers
XRP Stainless Lines
Poly Performance 4 link brackets.

Now, the pics. Pictures will go from before to where I am now in sequence.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading

Land vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading Tire Vehicle

Vehicle Auto part Machine

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Sand Automotive design

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not happy. The crank case breather dumped about a quart into the intake manifold. and all my breathers leaked oil everywhere. We bagged up all the oil sand. Most of the oil coated my jeep though.

Damn roll took out my bug deflector!

Mode of transport Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Sand

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Hood Auto part

Motor vehicle Vehicle Asphalt Transport Car

Desert Natural environment Sand Aeolian landform Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Tire

#12 ·
Thanks guys. It did ok in the dune, needed about 200 more ponies. But now after my flop and inexperience with sand, mostly razor backs, I think I will be keeping it in low range

I though you might recognize the 14 bolt gerberhard. I need to start getting it built. I was on 38.5 SX's now on FordFascist's Flat F***er.

#15 ·
That was the idea actually.

Max, Not sure what you are doing for a hood, but I think I have a hood with a few dents I can bring over if you would like.

Gui
That would be awesome, I've been trying to locate a hood.

Here is the old coil over hoops.
Vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle fork

UPS dropped these off while I was getting lunch. For being custom seats they sure came quick, only like 2 weeks.

Car seat cover Car seat Vehicle Car Vehicle door

These are the wheels from 406YJ They are sweet! #1 stop for H1's

Disc brake Auto part Rim Wheel Vehicle brake

Disc brake Rim Auto part Vehicle brake Wheel

I was thinking of running H2's with a set of street tires, that way I can DD it if I want. But I might be selling them, not sure.

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part

#16 · (Edited)
Sweet, I will take them. Recycle :) It is good for the can, it is good for the bottle, it is good for the Jeep :) Do you happen to still have the rears as well? I will brig the hood over. It is not pretty but works and will do the trick :)

#17 ·
Got some more work done today. Unfortunately I didn't get around to cleaning up the garage. Passenger door bars tacked in, and most of the lower cage supports tacked in as well. The boat sides will be 3/16" plate, welded to the lower cage supports. The cage supports will be heavily braced, and tied into the floor cross bars.

Here are some pics as it progresses. I still need to add one more cage support to the back

Automobile repair shop Vehicle Auto part

Automobile repair shop

Wheel Metal

Auto part Automobile repair shop Automotive exterior Vehicle

#25 ·
Yeah I called Mtech and talked to Susan. The bender I am using is an Reconcept NE5. They are now out of business, sweet. I guess in these older ones they used bronze bushings that were pron to failure. Both of the ones in my bender (GRMhick's bender) and worn and split in the middle, so the whole unit is loose.

#28 · (Edited)
Yeah, I bet a harder metal would work much better. I haven't seen the newer model benders, but I was told that the newer benders don't use any type of bushing, so I guess you just grease the joint.

Oh, the HF notcher took a shit (again) tonight. That is why I have stopped early. Almost every thread on it has stripped. I have been welding and patching it for to long. I need to start looking for a quality replacement. I should have bought American.

Looks like there are a lot of nice notchers out there. Anyone use one that they really liked?

#30 ·
Had a sweet present waiting for me when I got home today.

These are HUGE! 43x 14.50. I love that they are not 20"s wide.

Not sure why they are blems? I couldn't see anything wrong with them.

8ply sidewalls 27/32" tread. Hopefully they work as well has my 38.5s.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.