Pirate 4x4 banner

Nitrous oxide, is it really that bad?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  MUDYCRAWLER 
#1 ·
I just picked up a nitrous oxide kit from a friend over the weekend. It is a Nitrous Express kit that has only been used a few times. I plan to run a 75 shot on my 4.0 for those long, steep hills where the 4.0 just runs out of power. A number of guys at the shop tell me how dumb I am, and how I will just blow up the motor. Now unfortunately I can not retard my timing so I will run 93 octane to counteract the spray. Is this really that bad of an idea?

#2 ·
Using NOS is going to leave you stranded at the worse possible situation...

Is it a dry or wet setup? most NOS failures are due to lack of fuel, a stock fuel system will not compensate for much nitrous. BTW take video of the first time you use it, i love a good nitrous kaboom! :flipoff2:

#3 ·
99% of people have no idea what there talking about. Nitrous is very safe when used correctly and shot size is kept resonable. Ive run Nitrous on many many things,from atv's to sleds to motorcycles.

No need to retard timming on a small shot. 50-75 shot is a nice boost and will be pretty safe. be sure to use the proper fuel jet and be sure you dont lose fuel presure when spraying.

you start blowing motors when you get greedy and up the shot size and also when you over rev. keep the r'ss in range and rock on ..

#5 ·
Be Smart when using NOS.

If that kit is for your 4.0. A 75 shot will not hurt your motor the computer will sence a lean condition and richen up the mixture durring use. Dont get greedy only use it when you need it. Dont use it with to much durration.

Have Fun. Tell the GUY,s you work with to :flipoff2:

#6 ·
A few nitrous tips from my experience.....

Put it on a throttle switch so it only activates on full throttle. This will prevent you from blowing off your intake manifold.

Also put on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and bump up the fuel pressure. You will only run in to problems if you run out of fuel.

A bottle heater is nice to keep bottle pressure up and consistent.

Hopefully you will melt plugs before pistons. (Checks spark plugs after initial use)

If possible, make sure you have plenty of piston ring gap so the rings don't butt up against them self's and pull off the top of the piston.

Nitrous is fun in a drag car, so I bet it is even better in the dirt.

Good luck and have fun,
Chuck

#7 ·
I have no tech to add, but a piece of advice I once received from an old timer

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences"

In my opinion, hit that shit and see what happens!!

Dane

#9 ·
love that quote :) For a trail rig, I would avoid Nitro like the plague, no mater how safe it is being argued it is. Too many factors in place and a sudden boost to your powertrain could literally tear other thigs up or severely lessen the life of your engine.

From the dumb days of street racing, we saw way too many people misusing or just setting things plain wrong leading to REALLY bad stuff. I would say sell the kit and go with something more uniform like a stroker setup.

#10 ·
If the system is set up correcty there is NO issue with usign NOS. All you are doing is adding additional oxygen (nitrogen) to the combustion process. The typical failure mode for a engine runnig NOS is not having the proper EQR (or air fuel ratio) when injecting the mixture in the intake air system......you torch the cylinder system from higher combustion temps (along with other failure modes that accompany high combustion temps). Good systems will add fuel during the additon of the NOS. Generally, the respose of your stock fuel trim will be too slow to compensate to the addition of nos (this would be for a fuel injected system). If you want to be conservative, make sure you have a fuel mixture richer than MBT (fuel for max torque) and viola, cheap torque via a bottle.

I would NOT bolt the system on and expect to run without any tune, this is asking for trouble.

#14 ·
if a crappy 3.8 v6 can handle a 125 shot i have no doubt that the 4.0 can handle a 75 shot. run a boost a pump. make some test passes and check the plugs after each run changing the fuel pill untill you get a good color on the plug. follow the basic rules, only spray at full throttle and only above 3,000 rpms.

#15 ·
A number of you have mentioned checking spark plugs. What am I looking for? Do I need to add more gap? Keep in mind I will probably on us the nitrous a few times during the wheeling season. I really only plan to use it on those long, steep, muddy hills where I run out of HP. Mr. Hogg knows what I am referring to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.