Pirate 4x4 banner

Red neck welder

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  badk5 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to build an engine driven welder on my TJ and am to cheep to buy one of the over priced pre made ones. I want to add a second alternator where my AC compressor would have went. I'm not worried about the easy parts about it like building the brackets or exciting the alternator to put out 36 volts. What I want to know is will a stock alternator and its internal voltage regulator hold up to the occasional on tail stick welding job?

#10 ·
I built one from a semi truck alternator (delco). I took it to an electric shop and had them remove the internal regulator. A ford or dodge alternator is ready to go as they have external regulators ( at least the older ones did). You want to use the highest amp alt. you can find as they start putting out a higher amp at a lower RPM. The one I had welded and ran grinders ect. It was like a 147 amp or so alt. Worked well. Just practice at different RPMs and for different heat settings and record your results for easier setting and welding on the trails. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.