project: Get flamed in hardcore...so its over here - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
project: Get flamed in hardcore...so its over here

Put a few pics up on another post and thought, what the hell, ill put a little build thread together. The base for the build was an 05 tj. Shortly after the new purchase came the normal, 4" short arm and 35's. Rolled around like this for about 5 years and couldn't have been happier.

While at this "stage" of its life, I didn't want to sink money into different upgrades since i knew there were some tons in its possible future some I started collecting parts and kept wheeling.

crappy picture, but its a 79 D60 and a 14 bolt

some guts and bling for the axles

mmmmm, 35spl chromo's!
southernwonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
the tear down

Did a few things that need to be done while the jeep was still drivable. And yes, i do need to mention that I did put this rig on leafs. My reasoning was: A- Money. And B- money. I ended up like everybody else spending way more than i though i would so the leafs for now made sense. Plus I have zero knowledge of links. I'll probably link the rear in the future, but for the time being, i'm really liking the leafs. Simple and predictable. Anyways here's a few pics.

yj bastard packs

Finally the day came, teardown day, so a couple buddies and myself armed with harbor freight cut off wheels and 1 milwakee sawzaw, went to town!

one side buttoned up!

rubbers paitently waiting
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 99723
Looking good. I don't think you would get flamed in hardcore though. What are your plans for motor/transfercase?

Oh btw,

Leaf springs suck

Moore87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
mocking up axle locations

rear on its own weight

working on the front

and done!

total wheelbase ended up around 107.

Alll in all, the build took about two months of random weekends (probably about 5 or 6 full days if you add them all up) so the jeeps down time wasn't all that bad.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
Here's just a few wheeling/testing pics. In about a month and a half we're going to chocco so hopefully we'll get some good pics there.

buddy took his young'in out with us for the first time today. Learning early!

Last edited by southernwonton; 08-29-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
oh yeah, this has nothing to do with the build, but we were tired of squating in the woods so we created our own 2" receiver Port-O-Shitter, fully equipted with roll holder and random stickers. Enjoy!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
Looks good. What size tires are those? I'm stretching w/ XJ's on a YJ frame, and plan to end up very similar in stance. I'm keeping the shackle forward though.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 114105
mason looks buff in that pic. he also makes your 42's look massive.
motorhead0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72257
I love it. Especially because of the leafspring incorporation....fawk the haters

But my favorite part of this build is the port-a-shitter.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasFury View Post
Looks good. What size tires are those? I'm stretching w/ XJ's on a YJ frame, and plan to end up very similar in stance. I'm keeping the shackle forward though.
42x14x17 iroks. wanted to go with pitbulls, but i'm sure we all know the tire situation.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22646
Can you post up a pic of where you mounted your hood pins in the grill ? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 124275
Awesome. I'm diggin the clean and simple leaf build. Could you post full specs of shocks, steering, and other random crap? How are you liking the leafs offroad?
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore87 View Post
Looking good. I don't think you would get flamed in hardcore though. What are your plans for motor/transfercase?

Oh btw,

Leaf springs suck

Still running the I6 for now and saving for an atlas. Running 5.13''s so it not to bad right now.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
sweetness meatness

Member # 120695
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Awesome. I'm diggin the clean and simple leaf build. Could you post full specs of shocks, steering, and other random crap? How are you liking the leafs offroad?
I just re'used the shocks I had (bilsteen 5100's) to get it rolling. I'm planning on getting some Poly BBCS in the next month. I'll be using the 15's for the front and probably the 13's for the rear. As far as steering, I used ballistics kit. It comes with the tube, inserts and chevy rod ends. I'm also using their high steer arms. I don't have any pics of it, but I did make a traction bar for the rear. I used ruffstuff''s brackets and built the actual bar using 1.5x.25 DOM. I gusseted the entire middle with 1/4" plate. I'll try and snap a pic here in the next day or so.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 99575
how many inches did you strech the front? what leafs did you use? and how did you make the steering with that much strech?
white_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 87845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger99 View Post
Can you post up a pic of where you mounted your hood pins in the grill ? Thanks.
ditto this. I started to install mine last night and wasnt quite sure where I wanted em. there are some holes already there that are in the same location both sides, but theres some contour to the hood above thsoe spots, so...
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 53344
Ef the haters! I like the leafs. It appears that it works really well. Clean setup and nice looking rig.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127789
I don't understand the leafs on a tj, using a 4 link calculator program doesn't take much time to learn. Just patience and time to figure everything out and it depends on how you want your suspension to respond to throttle and braking. And I can see why you got flamed in the hardcore section, putting leafs on a tj is considered taking the easy way out. You spent the money on chromos, axles and tires but went leafs because you didn't set a side money for your suspension. Since you went with 42s and tons, have you upgraded your MC? Are you not running hydro assist? Did you upgrade your steering box or using the stock still? What are you doing for a traction bar to prevent axle wrap? Not to be the hater but it seems like you blew your entire wad of money on your axles/tires, and didn't do enough research on your suspension, steering and other components that needed to be upgraded as well to properly run tons and 42s.
robi615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 52851
Send a message via AIM to SwampWalker3
Pretty sweet jeep man. We wheeled together not too long ago. (Gator4x4)
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi615 View Post
I don't understand the leafs on a tj, using a 4 link calculator program doesn't take much time to learn. Just patience and time to figure everything out and it depends on how you want your suspension to respond to throttle and braking. And I can see why you got flamed in the hardcore section, putting leafs on a tj is considered taking the easy way out. You spent the money on chromos, axles and tires but went leafs because you didn't set a side money for your suspension. Since you went with 42s and tons, have you upgraded your MC? Are you not running hydro assist? Did you upgrade your steering box or using the stock still? What are you doing for a traction bar to prevent axle wrap? Not to be the hater but it seems like you blew your entire wad of money on your axles/tires, and didn't do enough research on your suspension, steering and other components that needed to be upgraded as well to properly run tons and 42s.
this
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 140167
i don't get why everyone hates on leafs. i love the idea of leafs. it deviates from the norm. sweet build. i would love to see an upclose of the steering in the front and traction bar on the rear when you get a chance.

by the way...you spent your money where it matters first (axles and tires) and still ended up with a good suspension setup IMO.
95yjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 99575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yjjeep View Post
i don't get why everyone hates on leafs. i love the idea of leafs. it deviates from the norm. sweet build. i would love to see an upclose of the steering in the front and traction bar on the rear when you get a chance.

by the way...you spent your money where it matters first (axles and tires) and still ended up with a good suspension setup IMO.
x2
white_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 53344
I'd just be happy as a clam to be able to wheel the bejeezus out of a rig like that! Looks tough, capable and fairly reliable.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi615 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
this

He lives in Florida and DD's this thing. What makes you think he needs super articulation? The leaves are plenty fine for his needs.

I agree about the steering box and braking components and am interested to read his response. He did mention that he built a ladder bar for the wrap though.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasFury View Post
He lives in Florida and DD's this thing. What makes you think he needs super articulation? The leaves are plenty fine for his needs.

I agree about the steering box and braking components and am interested to read his response. He did mention that he built a ladder bar for the wrap though.
Because he could have made some coil buckets and reused his old link arms and had a better ride and flex and still been reliable for dd.