THE Official CJ-10a thread!! - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 154721
Gavan,
I obtained registration finally, so I plan to finish the build now. Here is the link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ne...oject-1155836/

I edited my earlier post ^up a couple of posts^ to include the registration procedure. Now it is fun again!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #52 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Added to the build list.

I am a little confused on your title process. Did you request a hearing about the title, bond it or just wait it out and get the call?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 154721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
Added to the build list.

I am a little confused on your title process. Did you request a hearing about the title, bond it or just wait it out and get the call?
I requested a hearing since a bonded title would cost around $150.

The tax office called me a couple days later and asked me to come in, so when I did, they just handed me a plate. And took my money of course.

Keep in mind I live in a very small town, so maybe it won't be that way for everyone. I thought it was worth mentioning, because I have never read where anyone else has requested a hearing.

It is the cheaper way to go IMO.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 153363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX800B View Post
............Keep in mind I live in a very small town....................
i have been to Alpine a few times when I went to Big Bend. lots of wheeling there. i love that part of Texas but wife says 'it's too hot'. i say 'but it's dry'.
deejaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #55 (permalink)
RWC

Member # 193272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtal View Post
Wichman's very much still around. He and Dusty just got back from a long run. For those that have access to our board, the Swamp Donkey build thread is here:
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=20249

Al is still around too. He sold his 10a just before moving to Germany. Al and his wife are back in the state, in Kodiak. His 10a went to WA, but was sold again and came back to Anchorage about a year ago I think. I see it running around Anchorage occassionally, but don't know who the owner is since they aren't really in the 4x4 community.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #56 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Found a link with the Air Force TM and added it to the list of links. Way more in depth detail than you would ever think about, but you know you wanted to know!!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxilla...fo-thread.html
Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 185910
Cj10a power steering help!!

Brothers,
Has anyone swapped out to a different power steering pump and resevoir on their CJ10's? If so how and what model? Also, any ideas how to fix ps lines?
COMANCHE45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #58 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
IIRC it is a regular ham can P-pump, so you can put just about any power steering pump you want to in there. You can remove the pump from the reservoir and replace the pump easily. The PS lines are regular o-ring GM type lines, they are just long as hell because the pump and steering box are on opposite sides of the chassis. You can take them to a regular hydraulic place and have them re-made if they leak, any good hydro shop should be able to help you out. There are O-ring to AN fittings for sale as well, you can get them and re plumb your system with AN hose. Thats what I did with my CJ-10 box when I added hydroboost.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 136274
Any chance anyone has a CJ-10 wiring diagram? Or if anyone has one running the original SD-33 and can get some engine wiring photos, could they be posted or emailed? My current project has a few wires that are loose and I have no idea where they go.
DrJekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #60 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Sorry, I have been a little busy at work. I responded to your PM over on SS. My engine side harness is a little more hacked than I remember, but it ran when it was pulled

What exactly are you looking for? Do you have any problems with it, or are you just looking to clean up some wiring? I had a heck of a time with a starter relay under the hood, I think it was wired as a neutral safety switch to the TF, but I wired around it to have it reliably start with the key. It has an externally regulated alternator, and that junk for the wiper motor on the side of the block, but besides that it is pretty standard wiring. My wiper motor was long ago bypassed for a cable pull in the cab, it worked well. I can still send you whatever wiring I have, just let me know how much of it you need. I can trace back some colors too if it would be easier.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #61 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Also, have you checked the TMs?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxilla...fo-thread.html

It looks like most of the wiring is referenced, it is just buried in the sub-sections.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 185165
Good thread, lots of info. Has inspired me to call about one I found in a barn 6 months ago. I also have found 2 sitting in a descrete junk yard. What are running CJ10A's bringing in recent history? I've searched and checked fleabay but haven't seen many selling really. Thanks again for the post and info.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #63 (permalink)
OCX Off Road Audio

Member # 72810
I try and buy everyone I see. I don't know why, but I like 'em.

But most people who have a low mileage running one are wanting $3K +.
Then there's the few guys that think a Jeep with 10K miles it's gotta be worth $6000.
But it isn't titled and won't go over 15 mph in it's current state.

Most will probably have bad floor boards, if it hasn't stayed in the desert. Everyone I've deal with had rubber matting held to the floor with self tappers.

All 3 of mine weren't running, because the military doesn't care about making sure they run before they sell em. But it took very little to get 'em going.

Battery, sort out a loose connection, and the glow plug box thingy was usually bad and needed to be bypassed.
TAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #64 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
I think rusty floors were a Jeep factory option in the entire CJ series

I thought mine was OK until I really started poking at it, then it had all the "normal" CJ problems, rusted out A pillar, 3 layers of poor floor board repairs, blah blah blah.

They are "low mileage", but tugging heavy stuff across tarmac is not the easiest life there is, mine had a cracked frame and broken body mounts.

There are not that many of them out there, but their only real "monetary" value is scrap metal and the front sheet metal. The rest of it is kind of neat, and might be worth something to a collector, but it is not of real "high" value.

Basically it is worth whatever someone will pay for it!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #65 (permalink)
OCX Off Road Audio

Member # 72810
If you don't plan on running the SD33 and it is in good running order, alot of the diesel Scout guys will snatch it up in a heart beat.

I will probably end up with a GM small block in mine, but for now I just want try it out with the "little" oil burner. I'll give it a go naturally aspirated, and then see if the Scout turbo parts(courtesy of Gavan) will wake it up a little.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 185165
The one I was looking at will run and drive with a battery. The 2 junk yard rigs probably wouldn't. I need to run up there and take a look some day after work. I spotted them probably 5 years ago and the guy said he would sell them but never gave us a price back then. If I can get the good one bought reasonably I'll check into the other two for parts. The good one has all the onboard air stuff on it.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #67 (permalink)
OCX Off Road Audio

Member # 72810
NEED SOME FEEDBACK

I've been communicating with an Australian company that makes fiberglass CJ10 front flares.

It looks like I could have the cost not too high over $100 (hopefully under $150) for a pair of front flares.

These would be a direct OEM style fiberglass replacement.

If enough guys would be interested to keep the cost down, I would get some down here to sell.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money, I'd like a set for my other CJ10 and I figure some of ya'll would too.

If there's a better option, let me know.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #68 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83100
I'm thinking I would like a pair.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #69 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Where were you about 8 months ago when I cut down TJ flares for my fenders?

I think I cut up the fenders a little to put on the TJ flares, but I would probably take a set in case my plans change
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #70 (permalink)
OCX Off Road Audio

Member # 72810
If there's a little more interest, I'll grab 5 or 6 sets. They'll sell eventually.

They apparently make fiberglass tops for CJ10s too. They have the stock style and one that will take CJ7 rounded top doors.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #71 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Added slomoetion's CJ10 truck.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 202237
This is a Jeep only made for the military and for industrial use.They were never sold to the puplic!! As a mining town we had a company call Miltor drilling equipment limited that was licenced to modify them for minning all shipped without the roof,doors and windsheild frame.They added a front Dana 60 to match the rear Dana 60 with 4 wheel disk brakes with 2 calipers per wheel on all 4 wheels for better braking underground.There was another disk brake system on the drive shaft used for parking. There are only 810 pick up made from 1982 threw 1985. I've located 2 of them one I sold to Just Jeeps in Toronto .Now this one that I'm gonna keep for myself...Mine was never modified or used underground . They closed their doors in late 1984

Last edited by slomoetion; 12-27-2011 at 08:07 PM.
slomoetion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 202237
This is a locally made minning "Jeep type" sure looks like the CJ-10!!!

Its called a Minecat UT-99 They have a Toyota or Nissan diesel . Some have Currie D60F and D70R and 17leafs front and 15 rear rides like a tank. i will put up more pics if you want more...
slomoetion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 136274
Gavan,

I have two blue wires on the driver's fender coming off the relay or regulator that is accross from the alternator. The center wire has been cut from that box but I believe that goes to the alternator. There is also a black wire that I believe bolts to the alternator body but I want to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
Sorry, I have been a little busy at work. I responded to your PM over on SS. My engine side harness is a little more hacked than I remember, but it ran when it was pulled

What exactly are you looking for? Do you have any problems with it, or are you just looking to clean up some wiring? I had a heck of a time with a starter relay under the hood, I think it was wired as a neutral safety switch to the TF, but I wired around it to have it reliably start with the key. It has an externally regulated alternator, and that junk for the wiper motor on the side of the block, but besides that it is pretty standard wiring. My wiper motor was long ago bypassed for a cable pull in the cab, it worked well. I can still send you whatever wiring I have, just let me know how much of it you need. I can trace back some colors too if it would be easier.
DrJekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyglyde View Post
Thanks for putting this together Gavan.
This!

Anyone want to sell me a front clip? I had spoken with TawlBoy about front fenders and stuff by PM many moons ago. Anybody have front clip pieces they'd part with, PM me.