Intermittent obnoxious noise - 4.2 mpfi - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12226
Intermittent obnoxious noise - 4.2 mpfi

Some days it do...some days it don't.

Have a reeeally annoying noise coming from right around the throttle body on my 4.2. It does seem to be affected by giving it throttle but only to a there / not there extent. The noise is like a very sharp (almost metallic) and fairly loud (head turner) bd d d d d d d d. When it's there the frequency of clicking is constant. Got the opportunity to unplug things when it was doing it the other day but nothing took the noise away. It "sounds" like a loud relay flipping out. Can injectors make a noise like this when they're going? Are there any other things in that area that would cause an intermittent fault like this? Gotta do a code scan tonight, hopefully that'll lead somewhere.

Anyone else come up against this type of prob?

TIA
Rob
Old 11-19-2002, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12226
Nobody?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4635
Send a message via ICQ to pokey
I've got a 4.2 with JFI injection. The injectors do make some noise but it's constant. The JFI also has the MAF sensor on the end of the tube just aft of the filter and it makes a pretty good noise also. These are constant however, not off and on.

Bud
Old 11-20-2002, 06:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1317
I have the MPI kit and I have never had a noise like that... But I have plenty of other noises.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'"
Chris Rock
Lowrangerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12226
Thanks for the replies. Yup, I know the regular injector clicking but this sure isn't that. Muuuuch louder. It stopped doing it yesterday so now I can't even troubleshoot till it comes back. Grrrrrr

Can't complain though, the systems worked virtually flawless for over 5 years now...could be farting around with a bbd instead ;0)

R
Old 11-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2769
I'll bet it's trying to do a cell split and morf into a V-8!

Quick, Doctor! Grab the stethoscope!
Jaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 12226
Hmmm, ya may have sumpin there...just put the finishing (yeah right) touches on the new cj5 and it has the 304...piston envy?