Gone Postal : Mail Jeep Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 140167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwell View Post
Off to a good start! My parents both worked for the USPS and brings back good memories of my dad's old postal jeeps. Can't wait to see a build of one! HOWEVER, you got to keep it right side drive, or else it won't be a postal jeep anymore. Subscribed.
thanks! i drove by a house that had a dj and tj mail jeep for years and i always thought it would make a unique 4wd and i finally found one cheap enough to buy. it's a POS but it's a good start for me since the frame was in such good shape.

i'll try to keep it right hand drive. i'll have to get creative. i just think it will be really weird shifting gears from the passenger side. when on the trail and someone says "turn driver" which way do i go?! haha.
95yjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 84153
Send a message via Yahoo to CHELSEY ROBINSON
Cool

SUBSCRIBED! I love DJ's, and have always wanted one. My build will go a complete and totally opposite direction, but still an awesome project. There just so different, and you almost never see them any more. I do have a suggestion for the engine though, DIESEL!!!!!

As for the welding, Im a certified A-1 inspector. For a Jeep down hill is ok, but still not very good. If your welding a building together, or some huge structure like a bridge or something, that's where you wanna do it right. Your not welding together a frame for a 2500HP monster Jeep, so Im sure it will be just fine.

Oh yea, bad ass photo shop skills! Mine never turn out that smooth.

Last edited by CHELSEY ROBINSON; 06-22-2011 at 05:16 PM.
CHELSEY ROBINSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 140167
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHELSEY ROBINSON View Post
SUBSCRIBED! I love DJ's, and have always wanted one. My build will go a complete and totally opposite direction, but still an awesome project. There just so different, and you almost never see them any more. I do have a suggestion for the engine though, DIESEL!!!!!

As for the welding, Im a certified A-1 inspector. For a Jeep down hill is ok, but still not very good. If your welding a building together, or some huge structure like a bridge or something, that's where you wanna do it right. Your not welding together a frame for a 2500HP monster Jeep, so Im sure it will be just fine.

Oh yea, bad ass photo shop skills! Mine never turn out that smooth.
thanks for the input about the welds! you can help me with my welds and i can help you with your photoshop.

diesel would be awesome! i thought about the jetta engine swap like ian did in xtreme4x4 in their tin top samurai build. that would be friggin' sweet. i'll see what i can find cheap.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 140167
okay guys. i got some work done this weekend. my brother even came by to lend me a hand on saturday. he got the fenders cut out for me while i worked on fabbing up the shackle hanger mounts. the shackle mounts are made of 3/16" wall 2"x4" rectangle DOM tubing. the DOM sleeve is 2" in diameter and is .25" wall tubing. the cross braces are .25" plate.

fully welded ready to be welded to the frame.

welded up sitting on it's own weight. i'm going to run a 2" lift yj BDS spring up front because the springs i am using for mockup will not be enough lift once i get the motor and winch on the front.

the wheel/tire combo is from my yj. i won't be running these wheels/tires on the mail jeep but they'll be a 37-38" tire with the same 10" wide wheel like what's on it in these pics.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 140167
few more.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 140167
i forgot to post up but the wheelbase ended up being ~96" overall. i wanted a little bit more wheelbase but i can adjust that whenever i 4 link the rear down the road. belly height is 24.5" right now. it will be 25.5-26" when i add the 2" yj bds leaf springs up front.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #32 (permalink)
APU

Member # 37668
so sweet. love the look dude. keep it up.
APU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yjjeep View Post
Love the build!I even have a DJ grille that is going to find it's way on my CJ-7 buggy someday.But I think you need to run the front bumper all the way out to the edge of the spring hangers.I have bent them before when done like that.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 121984
Cool build...keep them pics coming!!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 40254
x2 on the bumper being extended. also, are you going to keep the top? if you are, it would be cool to see a flip-out windshield like an old WWII dodge truck. i like that stance you got going for it, too. cheers mate!
creepyjeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 193341
Subscribed....BIGTIME!

Building my own DJ5 Postal Jeep/buggy, as we speak... My original body was in sad shape, so I'll mostly be using the frame, and grill....gotta keep that 5 slot grill...

Last edited by kliff; 06-27-2011 at 08:01 AM.
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 189272
One awsome jeep work lloks good
Crawlworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 115135
Oh how I hate photobucket!
carcrafter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 140167
thanks guys. i am pretty happy with everything so far. i do plan on adding some triangular gussets to the sides of the bumper similar to how i did them on the wedge between the bumper and frame. thanks for the advise. i'm going to start bending the front shock towers this week i think. a buddy of mine gave me some gas shocks to use up front. gota love freebies!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 140167
just upgraded to photobucket pro so lets get the goodie out of unlimited bandwidth!

don't pay attention to the shackle angle. the bushing wasn't in the sleeve so the shackle was pushed up and back.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Quote:

don't pay attention to the shackle angle. the bushing wasn't in the sleeve so the shackle was pushed up and back.

You're still not quite right on the shackle angle even with a bushing. Your shackle is too short and it's still too far back.

Cool build otherwise though!

Project Flat F***er (Fender)

Project SR5.0
FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 140167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
You're still not quite right on the shackle angle even with a bushing. Your shackle is too short and it's still too far back.

Cool build otherwise though!
i know. i'm not too happy with it. i want a little more lean back on the shackle. i was posting up about this in a local board (nc4x4.com) and asking what guys thought about if i tried to run a waggy spring up front. it is 2" longer so it could push the rear shackle back enough to get my shackle angle about right. what do you guys think? I know the waggy springs are 2" longer with a 2" offset. i could keep my wheelbase by putting to 2" longer spring side toward the shackle. is a waggy spring pretty flat or would it make the front too tall?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 189941
cool, did you find any old mail in it at all? When you cleaned it out
Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 140167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat95YJ View Post
cool, did you find any old mail in it at all? When you cleaned it out
nah. just a little bit of change, some berber carpet (gag!) and the original mail tray that rode in the left hand side of the cab. ooo, and ALOT of rust!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Quote:
i know. i'm not too happy with it. i want a little more lean back on the shackle. i was posting up about this in a local board (nc4x4.com) and asking what guys thought about if i tried to run a waggy spring up front. it is 2" longer so it could push the rear shackle back enough to get my shackle angle about right. what do you guys think? I know the waggy springs are 2" longer with a 2" offset. i could keep my wheelbase by putting to 2" longer spring side toward the shackle. is a waggy spring pretty flat or would it make the front too tall?

That would work, although you will still need longer shackles. Waggy springs work well with a 5.5" center to center shackle. I've been running this setup for a few years now.

Project Flat F***er (Fender)

Project SR5.0
FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 191742
Sweet Update I am 99% sure this is "Trail Only", but do you have any intentions to street tag it? That would be boss to see that delivering mail and newspapers on a Saturday morning driving down the road.
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 140167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
That would work, although you will still need longer shackles. Waggy springs work well with a 5.5" center to center shackle. I've been running this setup for a few years now.
cool deal. i'll do that then. why a longer shackle? i'm just trying to learn.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 140167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwell View Post
Sweet Update I am 99% sure this is "Trail Only", but do you have any intentions to street tag it? That would be boss to see that delivering mail and newspapers on a Saturday morning driving down the road.
o i'm definitely tagging this thing and driving it on the street. i got a clean NC title for it so i'll definitely have it on the street. i plan to drive it to and from the trails. wish me luck!

if i'm lucky, one day i'll get to do ultimate adventure. one of my bucket list items missing a check mark.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 61550
looks good man, can't wait to hopefully see this thing out somewhere.
jbarr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 84153
Send a message via Yahoo to CHELSEY ROBINSON
Cool

I can't wait to see this Jeep around page 10. I guessing right about there it will be coming apart for links and coil overs. I love this build and will be keeping a close eye on it. I just wish my Jeep was that far along, Candy and I have a long road ahead of us.

The welding looks good, you might want to fill in those little holes in the shackle mount though. Just to keep water out of there, it will rust pretty quickly if you don't. I like it sitting down low to, looks mean. Have you considered chopping the top? Leave it on of course, just take it down a few inches!