Pirate 4x4 banner

Need for Flattie info

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Jare 
#1 ·
Howdy.

Is there someone who could help me with flatfender info? I would like to get some measurements of the body. We are building new car and old Flattie body just looks pretty simple to be made of aluminum. Only problem is that they are very rare here in Finland. So it's very hard to do measurements for a car if I can't find any at our neighbourhood :)

I'd like to now measurements for the grill to get it laser cutted from (polished) aluminum.

For this type and also for the other one that is wider. Is this model CJ2 or CJ3?

Then also measurements for the hood. Like is it a bit wider from the rear than it is from the front. And I suppose these also waries between CJ2 and CJ3?

How long the front fenders originally are?

How wide is the body tub at rear and from where it gets narrowed and how much? How tall the body tub is from the side?

It would be very helpful if someone could give us info.

Jare from Finland

I'm thinking to build something like this Norwegian Jeep looks like, but with Volvo C-303 portal axles.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I was looking at that first picture and thinking hmmm, that really looks familiar. Bullet light cj2a grill and the dorky GI Joe star on the hood. Then I realized - those are my jeep;)

The grill pictured is a rare early 2a grill seup for bullet lights. The later ones have an inset dome in the sheetmetal where the parking lights mount.

#6 ·
Jeepdude_Jay said:

How rare? You mean like don't crunch it in a roll rare?:confused:
That's the grill my early 46 has. I do have a complete later grill I could put on it.
Pretty rare, 45 and early 46 only. The lights themselves are worth a bunch to collectors. I wound up selling the grill and the lights to a collector and used a later 2a grill instead.

#8 ·
Jeepdude_Jay said:

How much did you get for it?

Sorry Jare for hijacking your thread.
It was years ago, but it was something like $150 for the grill and lights.

Back to the topic - Jare what other measurements do you need? I wish I had the skills to build a complete body, the one on my Willys is pretty well shot.

#9 ·
Jeepdude_Jay said:

How much did you get for it?

Sorry Jare for hijacking your thread.
Don't be :) Yesterday I did some surfing and found out that CJ-2A and CJ-3A are almost same kind. The think that I meant earlier that there is different grill is from MB and GPW right? MB and GPW has 9 holes in the grill while 2A and 3A has 7. Is the MB model wider than this other one? And if it is, then the hood has to bee wider too....right:confused:

Can someone get me a draving of CJ-2A or CJ-3A grill and why not also from MB or GPW?? That would be great. Friend of mine works in metal company and can make me laser cutted copy if I can get him drawings;) Laser cutted grill from straight plate would look enough original for our racing car.

And I really would like to know that how much does the body tub get narrowed from the door way. Is there some sort of angle for this?? Anyone:confused: :confused: :confused:

This Jeep is maybe a bit too much modified by tour Formula Off Road rules of Standard class. Rules says that you can modify the looks but it still should be easily recognized as some serial produced off roader.

Attachments

#10 ·
The MB GPW grill is exactly the same size as the cj2a/3a. The headlights are smaller on the MB/GPW, that's how they fit more bars in. The hoods are the same size for MB/GPW and cj2/3. The bodies are basically the same size as well.

#11 ·
oldjeep said:
The MB GPW grill is exactly the same size as the cj2a/3a. The headlights are smaller on the MB/GPW, that's how they fit more bars in. The hoods are the same size for MB/GPW and cj2/3. The bodies are basically the same size as well.
Wow. Thanks:rolleyes:
It's just so great to get the info in here and just so easily. So now I'd just need the blueprint of the grill and also some of the other info too to get "the Flattie look a like" done.

Jare from Finland

#12 ·
oldjeep said:

Pretty rare, 45 and early 46 only. The lights themselves are worth a bunch to collectors. I wound up selling the grill and the lights to a collector and used a later 2a grill instead.
Shit, I have that set up. Maybe I'll put it on my Dads '47 and take his grill before I end up bending it up:D

If someone provides dimensions I can whip up a drawing real quick like for the grill.

#13 ·
The MB and GPW grills have the most room for a radiator, they are also FLAT and would be easy enough to get made with a watercutter or laser cutter.

Thanks for posting that pic of the jeep body....that comes in very handy in photoshop!

#14 ·
OK, this won't be complete since I don't have a complete tub anymore, but it should get you started:

Let's start with the grill. What I've drawn in should be pretty self-explanatory. What I didn't draw, is the center-to-center measurement of the headlights and markers. Headlights are 26 1/2" center-to-center, marker lights are 23 1/2". Also, the slight curve of the top, is kinda hard to describe--but compared to the center, it drops about 1/4" by the middle of the headlights.

The hood is next. What you don't see is the width and height at the rear--45 1/4" wide, and 6 3/8" high. It's 33 1/4" front to back.

The cowl: 43 1/4" wide where the hood meets it, 50 7/8" wide at the dash. Those two points are 13 1/2" apart, and that angle continues to about the middle of the door opening, where the tub transitions to straight sides.

This one may or may not help you at all, but every angle helps sometimes:

#16 ·
I Lean said:
OK, this won't be complete since I don't have a complete tub anymore, but it should get you started:

Let's start with the grill. What I've drawn in should be pretty self-explanatory. What I didn't draw, is the center-to-center measurement of the headlights and markers. Headlights are 26 1/2" center-to-center, marker lights are 23 1/2". Also, the slight curve of the top, is kinda hard to describe--but compared to the center, it drops about 1/4" by the middle of the headlights.

This one may or may not help you at all, but every angle helps sometimes:

Wow! Thanks a lot! If we someday meet I'll buy you a beer:beer:
or many ones :D :D:beer::beer::beer::beer:

And hell if we meet the way that I have my own car with, you can have a ride. That was a great job. Once again thanks.

Jare from Finland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.