Jana K4 and Rubicon Air lockers aka Built TJ Rubi D44's - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156822
Jana K4 and Rubicon Air lockers aka Built TJ Rubi D44's

So i am one of those guys who loves to throw money at D44's instead of going to 60's. I like my ground clearance and dont want to drop 8-10k on some rockjocks.

So... I have absolutuly stock TJ Rubi D44's front and rear.

the "simplest" best setup with these axles and my 6speed could be

Rear
R&P - JK 488s [$250]
Jana K4 kit with girdle [$550]
Superior 35spline shafts [$300]
ARB [$900]
Air compressor [$100]
(transfer case output being week link)

Front
R&P - TJ Thick cut 488s [$250]
RCV CrMo (outers being week link) [$1000]
Stock locker
Bone Fish or Bombproof balljoints [$400]

New parts -$3,750
Sell old parts - $600
Total price - $3,150

Not including labor because i dont have a decent shop lined up yet.

My 1st question is it possible to fit a Janas K4 kit?

My 2nd question is if it is possible to fit Janas J4 kit is it worth it?

My 3rd question is does anyone know of anyone who could install this in the New Orleans area?

Listed below is a conversation i had with Carl Jantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinbern
Quote:
Originally Posted by unRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinbern
Karl,
I have stock TJ Rubi axles. I am upgrading to RCVs and chromo rears. I would also like ot swap in 488s. I am just running 35's but I drive like an idiot and know I'm gonna break something sooner or later. I dont have the funds for 1-tons so I wanna make my Rubi 44's last. Since I am overhauling my axles (40k miles)

What do you suggest beyond the basic kit (I like ur diff covers) ? Can you put together a quote with 488 R&P, Basic Kit, Diff Covers, and what ever else you feel is necessary?

Also do you know of Anyone in the Jacksonville, FL or New Orleans, LA who has done this coversion before?
Sorry this took so long, I had some health issues and employee issues. So I assume you have a D44 low pinion rear & and D44 high pinion front. So the rear will use the Jana k44 set up & the front will use the J54 set up. What gear ratios do you have now? (if you have 4.10s you will need a carrier change in the rear, If you have 3.73s you will not need to change the carriers.) For the rear JK 4.88s $210, K4 kit $300 including 1310 pinion yoke, Jana Girdle $225, For the front D50 4.88s $230, J54 kit $300, Jana Girdle $225, then figure about 90$ shipping on it all. Adding it all up $1580. I have no one close to you that has done the kit yet. Here is guy who has run a K4 kit for a season.
Sorry to hear about your health... i understand the employee issue...

I am pretty sure my front TJ Rubi axle is LP. So would i need to run the K4 kit in front and back? Do i need new carriers with my stock air lockers and 4.10 gears?
Your rubi gears are concidered Thick gears from the factory So, We would use standard (thin) gears D44 front and rear for you. Now comes the next issue. I have not had the chance to work with the stock Air lockers yet. In a standard old school D44 housing to make room for the larger pinion I have to effectively move the mating surface on he back of the ring gear over almost 3/8" of an inch. To do this I use a High speed carrier (3.73 & DN ) which is what you have, which moves it 5/16" of an inch Then I still have to shift the carrier another 1/16" of an inch. For standard carriers & Detroil lockers I just supply a narrow bearing, but on an ARB air locker which already has a narrow bearing on that side I have to do some actual machine work on the carrier. The last one I did I removed .045" from the ring gear face flange. Could you do some research for me on the internet and find a really detailed break down on the Rubi air locker so I can figure out how modifiy it? Send it to my personal email carl@jantzengineering.com. Thanks
weinbern is offline   Reply With Quote