Idiot's guide to wiring - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Idiot's guide to wiring

I've read every post I can find in regards to my 91 YJ 4.0 swap into my 80 CJ5. All the wiring seems so simple till I started to label wires. It's seems the YJ motor has a different pinout on the bulkhead than alldata shows. And my CJ has the same issue but with the Haynes manual. All the write ups I've found were for XJ motors. Even 5 wires to fire varied from mine. And the one for a YJ motor and harness I found is too vague and even it's wire colors vary from mine on both vehicles. Both harnesses are stock. I'm at a fucking loss here. I haven't a clue how to do this since I'm a complete tool when it comes to wiring. Is there anyone who has a complete idiot proof writeup/guide? Did I stumble across the only two harnesses made by a colorblind epileptic? WTF!!! I'm pulling my hair out with this.

FYI, I've printed a notebook's worth of diagrams from alldata and it was some help but it's different than what I have in front of me. For instance, a particular wire should be red with black tracer and in E4, I've got no red and black wire in the connector at all and the wire in E4 isn't going to where they say it should.

HELP

Edit: I can post pics of the two bulkhead connectors if need be.

Last edited by Rooney77; 10-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Rooney77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Here are the wire colors I have on the YJ harness bulkhead connector:
LB/YL
OR
RD/WT
RD/YL
DB/WT
BR
GR/RD
GR/OR
RD/OR
YL
YL/BK
BK
GR
GY/BK x 2

Hope that helps y'all help me. I'll try to get the CJ colors tomorrow.

Last edited by Rooney77; 10-11-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Rooney77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43046
When I did the swap into a scrambler I made the mistake of using the red headed step child of OBDII motors and harnesses: 96 cherokee (old body style, new wiring) I fought with the wiring too. Don't get overwhelmed. What I did to actually simplify my life, which is what others say is more difficult is I used the underhood fuse box too, which is nice because that is where all of your fuel pump relays are and such. start there. It also is a nice junction between the PCM, alternator, and batteries, plus it gives a nice place to run accessories both with the keys on and off; and as you are eliminating unused wiring you now have fusable line. I used the PCM wiring diagram, and the power distribution diagram for most of what I was doing. You will find that alot of wires you can eliminate, or they are used a multitude of times, coming to a junction and splitting off. It took alot of time to get it all figured out, but the jeep is awesome now and the owner loves it. Start by eliminating what you dont need, and then ween through that, also there should not be much you need from the CJ bulkhead, I think the bug red wire goes to the fuse box and the blue wire from the bulkhead (power on from key) will go to the PCM power in.....but dont quote me on that. It has been several projects since I finished that one...PM me your number if you need to speak personally.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Im using underhood fuse box and relays as well heres what I did. I cut the pigtail off my yj engine harness and cut my harness off my cj bulkhead and hooked them up in this manor

yj red with black stripe to cj red
yj red with orange stripe to cj red
yj black with white stripe to cj red

this is power feeding in to ignition switch from battery

yj white with yellow stripe to cj red with white stripe

and of course fuel pump

the cj blue and cj brown coming out of bulk head I left in brown for heater blower motor and blue for solenoid. Heres a pic we soldered them then shrink tube over then tape. The bulkhead in the right of the pic is the yj bulk head just screwed to the firewall for safe keeping.
Attached Images

RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Im using underhood fuse box and relays as well heres what I did. I cut the pigtail off my yj engine harness and cut my harness off my cj bulkhead and hooked them up in this manor

yj red with black stripe to cj red
yj red with orange stripe to cj red
yj black with white stripe to cj red

this is power feeding in to ignition switch from battery

yj white with yellow stripe to cj red with white stripe

and of course fuel pump

the cj blue and cj brown coming out of bulk head I left in brown for heater blower motor and blue for solenoid. Heres a pic we soldered them then shrink tube over then tape. The bulkhead in the right of the pic is the yj bulk head just screwed to the firewall for safe keeping.
The pic helps a lot. The only problem is the wires you mention from the YJ have different colors than mine, I have no BL/WT or YL/WT. What 4 circuits from the YJ motor are those?

I've found the fuel pump power feed, that was actually the easiest to find. It was one of the few wires that was the same as the diagram.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 64554
I was dealing with a similar issue on a ford wiring harness. I started just going to the termination point and comparing the wire colors at that point to my wiring diagram. If they were different, I handwrote the corrected color on the diagram and traced it back on the diagram to see if it went into any junctions and corrected those on the diagram. Once I had my diagram right, I could make decisions, but it was overwhelming to me without correcting my diagrams to what I was actually seeing.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 144313
well i got a simple one 95 wrangler 4.0 wiring harness manual trans, with obd1 , to a 91 258 witch wires do i need to change or move at bulkhead?
unclewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Check these out. Also google 5 wires to fire. These are vague but maybe they can help ya.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...swap/index.htm
http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/showt...67331-4.0-Swap
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4-...e-swap-455084/

I'm still wanting to know what the specific circuits are so I can ignore wire colors since mine are different.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 144313
tks for the links ive been reading on this for a year ! looking for the bulkhead diagrams for the 91 and 95 fugured id just move the wires in the connector! the wiring harness came out of a 95 wrangler ! going into the 91wrangler.... everyone i see is using a cherokee........tks
unclewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4962
here's a link to all YJ wiring diagrams---after you scroll thru the various years, there's more diagrams that may help you out ---

you should/may have headlights, runnning lights??, fog, right turn, left turn, fuel pump, a/c, ground, guages to name some---

so you're just needing help with the motor side bulkhead wiring??

http://iwantajeep.s3.amazonaws.com/w...ams-copy-1.pdf

hope this helps----chris