Jumped over to the dark side - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 116465
Jumped over to the dark side

Been a Ford man all my life until last weekend....picked up my very first wrangler..a '95 with tons and can't wait to get started on finishing this other dude's project that he had no more time for....

Bear with me, I'll be on here quite a bit asking some silly questions I'm sure but it's just that the jeep brand is completely foreign to me and will need some help and insight...

I hear alot about people using a chevy astro van steering box, what's the advantage?
BadA**78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
The astro van box is only used for stretching the front axle more than 6 inches.. You need to focus on getting some stronger axles, gears and lockers for bigger tires. Then body armor and recovery and of course a cage as your wheeling gets more technical with your new mods.. Pick up a couple jeep books at Barnes and Nobel and some issues of JP off ebay..
jeep937 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 116465
ok, he has already put in an older dodge d60 up front with xj springs but are badly de-arching so I'm thinking about cherokee springs, he cut off the steering knuckle to allow for H-1 two piece wheels to fit so I need to fabricate off of high steer kingpin arms and such....just thought now would be the time to swap boxes if needed....thanks for the input!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 166202
There are a few manufacturers of high steer arms that are made to clear stock H1 wheels, if that is the plan. Check the vendor section here and see if there are any sales going on now.

What other stuff has been done to the jeep? Rear end? Rear suspension? Drivetrain?

And PS, an Xj and a cherokee are the same thing
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 116465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDguy View Post
There are a few manufacturers of high steer arms that are made to clear stock H1 wheels, if that is the plan. Check the vendor section here and see if there are any sales going on now.

What other stuff has been done to the jeep? Rear end? Rear suspension? Drivetrain?

And PS, an Xj and a cherokee are the same thing
Pretty good base..14 bolt rear, dodge 60 front, xj leafs all around, 4.0,auto, 300 twin sticked...sorry, I meant to say wj leafs?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166202
WJ's (which are 99-04 Grand Cherokee's BTW) do not have leaf springs.

It does sound like a good start. What in all do you have planned? Maybe post up some pics and we can let ya know what we think or notice that you maynot have.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 116465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDguy View Post
WJ's (which are 99-04 Grand Cherokee's BTW) do not have leaf springs.

It does sound like a good start. What in all do you have planned? Maybe post up some pics and we can let ya know what we think or notice that you maynot have.
Again, sorry for the "not knowing my jeeps" comments...but having a dilema deciding on keeping xj leafs all the way around or at least 3 link front, leafs out back? Definately on a budget type of build until I can sell my old ford stepside crawler and free up some cash...

This dude actually acquired and put true H-1 2 piece wheels on with junky rollers so I 've got the beadlock/runflat part covered, right? You can air down to practically nothing with the H-1's, correct?

I'm going for a 4.88 gear set and only about a 38" tire, prob. spool out back, detroit in front after I figure out the best way to get rid of the old style "selectro" hubs on the dodge front axle....I'll have to post up a pic or two soon to let you jeep guys see it over, I couldn't pass up this deal even though it took up a whole weekend driving up to mass. to get her....