Pirate 4x4 banner

Narrowed 9" ?'s

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bowhunter595 
#1 ·
I'm looking for info on the infamous 9". I'm getting ready to build one for my YJ, and just need a little more info on which ones to look for. And how about putting 35spline shafts into it, will a 31spline third work, if not what third do I need? And what about full floater hubs.

Any info you guys would like to share I'm all ears. What works and what don't, links to other sites ect.

Thanks in advance.

-James

BTW I would've searched but I can't with my phone, and I don't use a computer very often.

#2 ·
More info needed. What you running in the YJ....motor, trans, tcase, tire size, gear option, wheelbase, suspension and driving style/terrain? Also, what is your front axle? To upgrade to 35 spline full floater isn't cheap and you may not need to go so "xtreme". You want to look for a big bearing ford 9". I believe they're most commonly found in 78-79 Bronco's. There are "Nodular" 3rd members that are stronger but any will do. A 31 spline 3rd will work for 35 spline shafts. And you really need to go to the public library and use their free internet to search Pirate for all this info plus a lot more!

#3 · (Edited)
I have 4.88's now, but I plan on using 5.38's, and a hp44 (that I'll build after the rear is done) in the front and 37" iroxs. Currently running 4.0 ax-15, 231. I wheel pretty hard for having a street driven rig, which is why I'm narrowing it. And I don't mind spending the $ if its worth it.

Terrain is mostly rocks with loose soil, typical Maine stuff. Suspension is sprung under 4" with longer shackles to let it flex. And I use a lot of revlimiter...

I have internet @ the house but I'm working 70+hrs a week for the next month or so, so computer time is limited.

-James

#4 ·
i wouldn't spend the $ on 35 spline and ff on the 9. Run the big bearing 31 spline and see if you end up breaking anything. I would expect front end damage before the 9 has any difficulties.
I haven't had any issues with my 9 full-width in a YJ but busted a few hp44 shafts. I know that is just my experience but you can always go 35 spline and ff later.
Heck...you might aswell just go dana 60 rear and shave it to be the same size as a 9 or 44. Get a 3/4 ton front hp44 so the wheel bolt pattern matches the rear 60 and you're good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.