80 cj5 SOA ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 153735
80 cj5 SOA ?

I've got an 80 cj5 that already has an aftermarket SUA lift on it. I want to go ahead and do the SOA for added lift plus from what I read it's a better ride. I don't have the $ to build it hardcore and I won't be doing any hardcore offroading so I've sticking with leafs for now. For those of you that have done it can you give me some advice and let me know what all I'm going to need etc besides perches. Thanks for the help in advance!
Primed67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 153735
anyone??
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 76994
dont know anything about an 80cj5, but with any soa conversion your going to need spring perches, brake lines, steering components, possibly driveline extension etc.....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 69047
If you are not going to do any hardcore wheeling then you might want to just stay SUA and invest what money you have available in some other upgrades. With the narrow track and short wheelbase of a CJ5 SOA tends to be a little unstable both on and off road. Some people think this is a cheap way to go as you can technically do it at very low cost, but end up left with a bunch of issues. To do it right you need good quality springs, steering mods, longer shocks, longer brake lines, probably a CV driveshaft in the rear, etc, and still may have driveshaft problems. SOA can be really nice if you lengthen the wheelbase, run wider axles, high steer etc, but you can easily end up spending a couple of grand to do it right. For street and mild off roading staying SUA is probably the way to go, and use the money to invest in a locker, some better tires, or other mods.
stevesc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38791
If it's advice you are after here it is... Don't do it. Invest in a quality set of custom leafs from Alcan Spring (http://www.alcanspring.com/) and you will be much happier. I have a '79 CJ-5 and have tried many springs, including SOA, and in the end returned to SUA w/ custom leafs. It rides better and climbs steep obstacle MUCH better. Here is a link to CJ-5s here on Pirate.../forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/963009-lets-see-your-cj5-builds.html. Mine is post #17. Have fun.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 125507
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesc1 View Post
If you are not going to do any hardcore wheeling then you might want to just stay SUA and invest what money you have available in some other upgrades. With the narrow track and short wheelbase of a CJ5 SOA tends to be a little unstable both on and off road. Some people think this is a cheap way to go as you can technically do it at very low cost, but end up left with a bunch of issues. To do it right you need good quality springs, steering mods, longer shocks, longer brake lines, probably a CV driveshaft in the rear, etc, and still may have driveshaft problems. SOA can be really nice if you lengthen the wheelbase, run wider axles, high steer etc, but you can easily end up spending a couple of grand to do it right. For street and mild off roading staying SUA is probably the way to go, and use the money to invest in a locker, some better tires, or other mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazoz View Post
If it's advice you are after here it is... Don't do it. Invest in a quality set of custom leafs from Alcan Spring (http://www.alcanspring.com/) and you will be much happier. I have a '79 CJ-5 and have tried many springs, including SOA, and in the end returned to SUA w/ custom leafs. It rides better and climbs steep obstacle MUCH better. Here is a link to CJ-5s here on Pirate...http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963009. Mine is post #17. Have fun.
Two very good pieces of advice. SUA is safer and if you want to soften the ride, have some custom springs made^^^^, softer shocks and maybe invest in a locker. Night and day with a locker vs open

Last edited by rstycj; 11-10-2011 at 06:12 AM.
rstycj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 153735
thank you for the advice!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 161756
I did a SOA on my 80 CJ5. Linked below.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...+fort+mcmurray

Although I added some extras not required by a bare bones SOA, to do it right, the two thousand estimate is a little low. Doing a SOA and being happy with it means a double cardan driveshaft for the rear, new brake lines, shocks, steering modifications, etc. as pointed out above.

I am happy with mine, flexes well. I want to run 37" tires, but I will try to lower it in the future. I got about 4.5" of lift, but did a few things to limit lift.

Staying SUA is definitely cheaper, easier, and should work well. If you don't need the extra lift, you will save alot of money running it as is.

Last edited by TSwiss; 11-10-2011 at 09:16 AM.
TSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.