Me and the Gymnast - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 24300
Make those axles proud!!

I built them back in 2003. The build thread is still on this forum somewhere.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 204556
I knew it had to be a Canadian Rig. the daytime runners gave it away. That thing looked like it was pristine when you had it. When I got it she was a little beat up. Lots of things need rebuilt. I must say you are quite the fabricator.
If i have any questions about the axles i know who to contact now.
JeepJake OIIIIIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 204556
I wanna see that build thread if i can find it on here.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 17986
Sweet progression.

I must say, I was hoping of gymnast girlfriend pics.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 204556
The gymnast practically is my gf. All of the ex gfs always say " you spend more tone with your jeep than you do with me".

I could send topless pics of the gymnast if you want.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 24300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO View Post
I knew it had to be a Canadian Rig. the daytime runners gave it away. That thing looked like it was pristine when you had it. When I got it she was a little beat up. Lots of things need rebuilt. I must say you are quite the fabricator.
If i have any questions about the axles i know who to contact now.
That TJ was the first project I ever did, and it was a learning experience, there's some stuff on it that I would do differently now. I found the build thread for the axles but the pictures are long gone, PM if you have any Qs. I don't check here often.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 211025
Ill take some topless pics!!
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
Ill take some topless pics!!
Well these aren't topless but they should do the Job

Got a few tires mounted lastnight

Actually sitting back on the rear tires again

The Gymnast just got a bit wider!

Last edited by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO; 03-21-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Well we got the rest if the tires mounted today. Just have to torque down the botls for the beadlocks and they will be all finished. Also started on swapping the OBA but realized that the clutch pulley on the compressor doesnt line up with the rest of the pulleys. I will have to modify the bracket to make it work.

Last edited by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO; 03-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 204556
I've been trying to make progress on the heep but i've been so busy between school and work. This week seems like its not going to yield much time to work on the Jeep since I have a big project due and work Thursday through Sunday. I have started pulling the front axles pulled out of the Jeeps and I am almost done modifying the OBA clutch to make it work.

Few updated Pictures

Pulled the Dana 44 out of the Gymnast. Found out that the front busings are shot. I should have expected that. It didnt show any signs of bad bushings when driving it around though.

This is what I am doing to the OBA clutch pully. I cut out the center section, flipped it over and welded it back in.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 204556
I have been making some progress but I have been swamped with school work because the end of the semester is coming up. I had the truss that I ordered from T&T customs welded on and I had to do a lot of grinding to make it fit bc my axle has been shortened on one side only. I also had to notch out some of where the cast and the axle tube meet in order to get the LCA mount on the driver side to fit. (Pics coming soon).

I now have the axle bolted up under the Jeep but right before I was going to torque everything down and put the front tires back on I noticed that my driver side hub was completely frozen. Im assuming that the heat from cutting off the old brackets and welding on the truss caused this. I went to remove the hub so i removed the first spindle nut, then the locking washer, then the other spindle nut. I then noticed that the last person to put this axle back together put the other washer that was supposed to go between the two spindle nuts, between the back spindle nut and the outer bearing. I now cant get the washer out and I have been trying to remove the hub but it seems it is stuck on there pretty good. I tried a BFH, 10lb sledge, pry bars and heat but nothing has been able to budge the hub. From what I understand the whole unit should slide right off. I was thinking about buying a puller tomorrow but IDK if it will work when the hub is stuck on this bad. Anyone have any suggestions??

Last edited by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO; 04-15-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 204556
I finally got the hub off of the spindle with the help of a jaw puller a sledge and a breaker bar. I also got the on board air mounted today. I keep forgeting to take pictures but ill get some in here asap
Old 04-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Well The axles are finally under the Jeep and it is driveable *:clap: Now I just have little odds and ends to finish up. I know the build thread kind of stalled so I will try to keep you up to speed. Feel free if you want to ask any questions or want pictures of something specific.

The first problem that I encountered *was that the truss that I ordered from T&T customs did not center on my axle correctly because the axle had been cut down. Regardless I was able to trim the truss enough to make it work.

The second problem was that the mounting point on the axle to the lower control arm for the driver side was on the cast for the axle housing. This problem was solved with a cutoff wheel and a little bit of patients. I was able to cut enough of the cast away to make the lower link fit.

After I got enough of the cast cut away and the truss welded on I realized that from the heat generated by the welder, the driverside wheel bearing had shrunk and froze up on the spindle.

Now it is road worth but I have to address a few minor issues. First, the coil spring on the driver side is contacting the upper trac bar mount.

Second, because the axle is a high pinion, the driveshaft wants to contact the down-pipe for my exhaust.

Third, My front driveshaft needs to be shortened a couple of inches because of the longer pinion on a dana 60 vs. a dana 44.

Here are a few pictures of how it stands now

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 34955
I don't think that bearing freezing up had much to do with the heat from welding. That just doesn't make much sense to me given it's location.

If you had the ground on the knuckle and were welding on the center section you could have had some arching going on in the bearing causing it to freeze. As far as removing it I imagine it's age was the issue there.

Maybe you were welding near brake lines and the expansion of the brake fluid made the brakes apply and made you think the hub was stuck and wouldnt rotate. I doubt that though because you probably let everything cool and had to remove the brakes before taking the hub off.

I'm really stretching for ideas here. I think it is more than likely just an old warn out bearing that was near death before you started.

Yes, I was dissapointed there was no gymnast.
kmkommes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 204556
It wasnt the caliper for sure. That was my initial thought so i took the caliper off and it was still frozen. Before the old brackets were taken off and the truss was welded on the bearing acted fine. So im assuming it was from the heat.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 211025
I heard that thing drive by me a couple days ago and heard a loud clanking.. almost sounded like a loose caliper??

Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
I heard that thing drive by me a couple days ago and heard a loud clanking.. almost sounded like a loose caliper??

Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Some Flex pics! Still has plenty of room

Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 204556
So I got to test out my new setup at Jeep Beach 2012 in Daytona Beach FL. Here are a few pictures. I didn't get many pictures of me wheeling it in the speedway but oh well.

Of course we had to stop at the auto parts store half way to Jeep Beach.

The event

Last edited by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO; 05-03-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 204556
How my Jeep Beach ended on the way home:

I was flat towing the Jeep with the transfer case and transmission in neutral when my cardigan Joint on my front driveshaft locked up and my NP231 split into two pieces. I learned my lesson, Always disconnect the front shaft when making a trip down the highway or just invest in lockout hubs. Oh well time for an atlas now

Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 84074
That sucks bro!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler1979 View Post
That sucks bro!
Thanks for the words of advice lol

Last edited by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO; 05-03-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Just wondering what you thought of the rock krawler lift, drawbacks advantages. By the way nice build.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 204556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Just wondering what you thought of the rock krawler lift, drawbacks advantages. By the way nice build.

I am a major fan of the Rockkrawler lift. I wouldnt build a Jeep with any other product unless I custom built it myself. I've had the lift for almost 4 years now and the only thing that I had to do was replace the bushings. The bushings are the only drawback for me but I think most of their new stuff has the Krawler joints on both ends (basically Johnny Joints) and double adjustable arms.

Either way my lift still performs good on the highway and offroad. I ended up getting a 1505 on the RTI ramp with my 35's which is super impressive for not running coilovers or air shocks.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 211025
ive seen his kit its pretty strong. I wouldnt worry about bending the arms thats for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.