Vortec 3700 Swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 167349
Vortec 3700 Swap

I Have been doing some research on swapping the 5 cylinder GM atlas engine used in the H3 and Colorado and Canyon into a Manual trans Cherokee. Looks like torque is similar to a 4.0 but it has about 50 more Hp and because it is a modern engine, I am pretty sure it will get better gas mileage. The Colorado and canyon use an aisin transmission, so it looks like the gm bell housing will bolt to the Jeep trans. I found a guy to reprogram the PCM for $100 and a diagram on rewiring the pcm here http://www.vortec4200.com/forum1/vie....php?f=7&t=790

So i can get the engine , get the electronics to work, motor mounts on the 3700 come straight out the side of the engine similar to a 4.0, doesn't look like a big challenge. the radiator hoses are on the correct side to hook up to the stock radiator. Exhaust comes off the passenger side of the motor, so a trip to the muffler shop to get a pipe. Fuel hookup might require some adapters.

Got spark, air ( need to make air filter) Fuel, exhaust, trans hookup, Power steering? might need some hoses made. Alternator should hook up. Gauges could be a problem, but i could always pull the stuff out of a pre 96 cherokee that didn't use the computer for the gauges.

Why this motor? well its Cheap, like $500-$700 cheap. A bone yard 4.0 is double that or more.

I have never done a swap, how much am i missing here? I think i have most of the bases covered.

Last edited by Land Speed; 01-12-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Land Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 94793
I'd be interested to see how this turns out. I was interested in doing the 4200 in my jeep, but there was no support at the time.
sylgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links