Swapping these DS ends? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 140746
Swapping these DS ends?

I have the original drive shaft from my Comanche, I had it cut down to the proper size.(LEFT) However, I need to switch the trans case end from the small drive shaft to the larger one. How easy is this? It looks simple, but shit has a habit of fucking up when I touch it. I see snap rings that have to come out, and they are rusty as shit, so they will need to be replaced.

What do I ask for at the parts store?

What about the caps? If I am correct, there are needle bearing inside, how do you keep them all on the sides when installing? Any u-joint I have taken apart, the needles instantly fall out and disappear.

Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere? No searching has come up with nothing.

BTW, that weld on the left was done by a local machine shop, considered to be a damn god job. I have seen some fucks on here booger weld better than that.

Last edited by cj7sswampers; 01-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
cj7sswampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 72257
just get new u-joints and install...dont even try to swap out the old ones, there's no point, they are cheap enough.

yes, there are needle bearings inside the caps. They come greased so the bearings stay in as long as you dont wack them around. Use a vice and a socket to press in the caps with the center section in position between the ears. Dont use impact as that will dislodge the bearings. It's pretty simple.

Edit: New Ujoints will come with new snaprings.

Last edited by CJim7; 01-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.
CJim7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
fume sniffer

Member # 122979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7sswampers View Post

BTW, that weld on the left was done by a local machine shop, considered to be a damn god job. I have seen some fucks on here booger weld better than that.
Though I agree it could be better, haggard old irony steel is not exactly ideal welding material.

I imagine your going to have a hard time creating a seal around that short stub shaft, might just save yourself some time and headache and order a new one through a driveline supplier.

Also, it doesn't appear to have much in the way of slip, if your vehicle has anything more than minimal suspension travel that stub shaft will not work.
rocklobster87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 140746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster87 View Post
Though I agree it could be better, haggard old irony steel is not exactly ideal welding material.

I imagine your going to have a hard time creating a seal around that short stub shaft, might just save yourself some time and headache and order a new one through a driveline supplier.

Also, it doesn't appear to have much in the way of slip, if your vehicle has anything more than minimal suspension travel that stub shaft will not work.
New drive shafts will be ordered in about 6 months, when I get the Dana 44's to swap in, and the lift. Just taking making the Comanche 4wd for now with a AX15/231, so yeah, just getting it back to stock. I had the drive shaft cut down rather than buy a new one, because I just need to make it work for the time being. I won't be doing anything crazy off road, and probably wont be going off road until I get the axles.