Need help with M715 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 187456
Need help with M715

A guy I know is selling this 68 M715 for $2000 or $1500 with out the PTO winch. It was driven to this spot and parked here 5yrs ago but has not been started since. I can probably talk him down some on the price and I wouldnt want the winch anyway. You guys think this beast is worth a hundered or two less than $1500?

And yes the brush guard would have to go. and there is a little rust on the rockers and whatnot.

If the owner of this beast sees this post: Im trying to talk myself into buyin this off you so dont get upset.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 187456
Oh and its the stock drivetrain
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41063
First off, what engine is in it? It;s very common for fire dept. M715s to have V8 conversions that may or may not be a bonus, depending on your intentions. Is the tailgate there? Missing tailgates on fire dept. M715s are also very common and they can be a pain to find in good condition and rather expensive. You will probably be able to recoup $100 of your money just from scrapping all that pipe welded to the outside. And yes, you would want the winch as a Braden LU-4 PTO winch is a very reliable and strong winch that will run all day long and will run many electrics into the ground. $2k is probably an average price for a M715 w/w so if it will run and it's not eat up with rust, it's probably worth it. I'd also look to see if the original soft top bows are under that redneck, plywood bullshit. An original, rust free fuel tank is also a big bonus. The NP200 transfer case would be fine if you are restoring it, but a swapped in NP205 would be better for anything else. Don't get a lot of dreamy ideas about the D70 rear and D60 front axles as they are a bit odd. They both use offset gears, the D60 closed knuckle and is about as strong as a modern D44 and both have drum brakes. No matter that, if you are interested in M715s you should sign up over at m715zone.com and learn as much as you can. They can be a lot of fun and a hard working truck but they have a lot of limitations due to their age and as a result of a government contract by the lowest bidder.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 96278
I don't know values per se, but if it's truly close to running and driving condition, it seems reasonable to me.

Get the winch. You'll save the money once vs wishing you had it a hundred times.

I don't think the axles are as bad as everyone says, you just have to be realistic about how you plan to use the truck. I have 38" TSLs on mine, with a 360, and they've held up to a good amount of abuse. Bigger tires, rocks, yes they will blow up. Of course, they will almost definitely outlast the Tornado 6.

I wheel mine, plow with mine, run it around town. They are fun trucks.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ruiner of the Things

Member # 130031
Truck looks very solid! And heck if you scrap half of that tube work all over it you may end up pocketing some money back.

Like has been mentioned above about the axles, they aren't all as bad for a 38" tire, camping truck etc.

Now convince him to buy my M37 to replace the void in his life from selling the M715!

'42 Dodge WC53 - Cummins, Allison 1000, Eaton HO72 F/R, 38" Michelins
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...airstream.html
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Offroad OutKast

Member # 116076
Not bad

I like it. I would like to find one close to me. There was one sittin out at the local pawn shop and he wanted like 5k and it was just as ruff...way to much IMO. So if you can pick this one up for that price and it has little rust i say good deal. BTW if i find one I am thinking Cummins engine and one ton axles....TOW RIG! Dunno if it can be done but if you get this one you should pave the way Good Luck!
Jeremiah 30:17
rustybottoms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 187456
Oh the Cummins and one ton swap has already been done. On here even; found it on my first M715 search.

It has the stock engine. I have a 5.0 out of a 93 Stang(whole car that I wrapped around a telephone pole) and a few Np435's laying around. If I swapped the case out then I'd have to swap at least one axle. The "list" just keeps going on and on.

My uses: I'd just want something to play around on the trails with and mabey tow my Tj here and there(once the REAL build on it begins). Mabey drive it to work and back in the snow. I was thinking ok keeping it around a 37" tire(hummer take offs would work)

You guys really think that the PTO winch is worth the extra cash?

Do you know of anywhere to get a soft top for one of these?

Elweinel-thanks for the hook-up! I will go check out M715 zone asap!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 187456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Now convince him to buy my M37 to replace the void in his life from selling the M715!
He just bought another Samauri and is looking for a tractor.

A Bobbed Duce would kick so much ass though!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Why would you have to swap one axle if you swapped the transfer case? As far as the PTO winch, if it cost you $500 extra to buy it with the winch, it would be easily worth it since you can sell the winch, PTO, shafts and controls for $1k, easy. Still, I would keep it on the truck as it's worth it's weight in gold when needed. Everyone argues about electric winches being better, but I disagree. Sure an electric will run without the engine running but if your engine is dead, how far are you going to get? Is it really that important to get out of a mud hole or over an obstacle if you can't go any farther? With a PTO winch, it can pull all day long, never overheats, never slows down and will outlast any comparable electric winch by decades, not years.

If you aren't looking for anything special and just need a tow rig and light duty toy, I'd look elsewhere. M715s are very cool and can be lots of fun but you are looking at a drivetrain swap to make it comparable to a more modern rig. The NP200 doesn't care for speeds over 50 MPH in a lot of cases and with 5.86 axle gears, you aren't going to be winning any top speed competitions. The stock OHC inline 6 cylinder is weak but durable though it is getting hard to get parts for them since they went out of production over 40 years ago. With that much swapping and modification work to be done, keeping mind that it is a very historically interesting vehicle when restored, I'd look at a more modern pickup from at least the '70s to make a tow rig out of.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Offroad OutKast

Member # 116076
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Oh the Cummins and one ton swap has already been done. On here even; found it on my first M715 search.
Oh well thanks for the info, I had done a search before but i didn't look hard enough.

Edit: Just did a search in hardcore, Found it easy!
Edit: Just read a thread on it and i realized i had already read it and even posted in it a while back.....my memory is gettin to bad to be this young.
Jeremiah 30:17

Last edited by rustybottoms88; 02-09-2012 at 08:05 AM.
rustybottoms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Why would you have to swap one axle if you swapped the transfer case?
I know I know! Pick me!

Um, so you can have mismatched wheels?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Yeah, I'm not sure what that's about. I assumed it may have had something with the offset D70 rear or maybe the offset output of the NP200 but neither make much difference in a transfer case swap.