Recommendations for a CAM and Torque Convertes for TJ:4.0 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 70340
Recommendations for a CAM and Torque Convertes for TJ:4.0

A customer of mine has a 2000 TJ with OEM auto tranny. The TJ already has a Headder/Exhaust system, 62mm Throttle, Cold Air Intake, 33 tires 4.56 gears and SuperChip.

He's starting into the Jeep thing and the plans are to play with friends at the Sand and let them biting sand. He wants to add an after market CAM to help up and get more from the intake/Throttle. The Jeep must be Streetable (so not looking for insane cams).

As for the Torque Converter, don't really know what to look for.

What would you guys recommend?

Jorge Meza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 141944
I can't really help you with how well it performs, but as my '05 is down again for yet another cam swap due to that OPDG garbage, I decided to do the rebuild myself this time instead of let the dealer do it again. I spent a lot of time deciding on a cam to run and talked to a bunch of folks as to what to go with. In the end, I spent a great deal of time both on the phone and via email with Comp cams. Was very impressed with their service and willingness to help as well as explain every last detail of what and how it should be done. Even if you don't go with them, I think it would be beneficial to call them up and chat a bit at least to bounce some ideas around. My basic info was that I'm sick and tired of this 4.0 cam/OPDG issues and can't see dumping any more money than necessary into it when a full rebuild to get going again from a dealer isn't that much less than a LS swap. Question being how long this rebuild will last long-term so no sense spending cash where it just won't do any good. I asked about a plain and simple cam, nothing hopped up or radical, just something that would allow me to rebuild using as many factory parts as possible. I spoke with Chris a great deal and in the end, they did a custom grind for me that is supposed to make a little better use of the factory head design. It retains the factory lifters and springs but will have a bit more power across the range due to more efficient use of the other factory parts. I ordered the cam, was told it was a custom grind, not an off the shelf part and was asked if I would be OK with a few extra days to cut it. No problem as I'm not in a big rush anyway. I got an email two days later saying they were able to cut it sooner than expected and I should see it by the end of the following week. That was on a Friday and I believe I had the cam on Monday. I've been very impressed with Comp cams service thus far and think it would be wise to at least give them a call to discuss your customers situation if nothing else, for a few ideas to bounce around.

Here is contact info for who I spoke with:

Chris Ryan
COMP Performance Group
Technical Department
Phone: (901)795-2400 ext 581
Fax: (901)366-1807
cryan@compcams.com

Unfortunately I can't tell you how well it works or how much additional power is there just yet as it's still on the shelf. Engine is torn down and head will hopefully be checked tomorrow, and still waiting on a few other parts. Hopefully have it back together in a couple weeks if everything else comes in on time. I do think it would be worth a call though to discuss.

Best of Luck,

Mike
'05TJLWBRUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links