Pirate 4x4 banner

Urban Assault TJ Zombie Killer build.

120K views 205 replies 52 participants last post by  bugman114 
#1 ·
So we are going to start on the T-Rex Junior project. For the last 11 years we have beat on our old faithful Dodge T-Rex 6x6. It has been a great truck and we learned alot from it.

So now I an going to start on a much smaller project. I got a 98 TJ. First I put on some armor, bumper, winch, and then when I tried to get my family all in the Jeep I realized that I cant fit us and a lunch box. The T-Rex could fit 6 people and tons of extra stuff. So that is when I realized that I have to modify this TJ beyond the regular mods.

See less See more
#73 ·
Yes, but at the begining of the build we were going to have a drop box inbetween the axles which would have been facing each other. However that fell through due to inability to mate the drop box to the right drive shafts, so we just went to the two out put t-Case.

#74 ·
Alex is an artist with bending brake lines. Brake lines, fuel lines are in place, bolted control arms in place.

High Pinion Dana 44 is done, I just need to shoot it with paint, and add rotors, and then install tomorrow.

#77 ·
Yes eversince I was a kid and I saw a lime green Hemi Cuda, I fell inlove with the color. I have had 5 1968 Chargers but never in lime green, I was tempted once to paint one lime greem but backed out of it. I finally I got my lime green Charger in 2007, Daytona sub-lime #1398...sweet. This jeep will be sporting the same color, it is easyier to fine you vehicle in theparking lot when it is lime greem...:shaking:

#78 ·
This is the coolest of all cool things. TOm Wood from Woody's Drivesahfts came over to my house to deliver this baby, it is the carrier bearing assembly for the middle axle, cool!

Here it is in the adjustible mount I fabbed.

Here it is all coming together. Tom will be finished with the Jeep,s custom driveshafts on Wednesday and then on thursday we start sheetmetal!! Woot Woot!!

#80 ·
Yeah his service is top notch, who else would car enough about his product that he would come out to my house to make sure everything will work right!! Besides his craftmansship is top notch.

#81 ·
The front axle is in and looking good. I have had a few people PM me about these axles, the rear axles are those special Jeep Width Dana 60s (built that way from Dana for industrial / military applications but never used--so brand new) and they are lighter than a regular Dana 60 yet super stout. Disk brakes, and 35 spline shafts. Much cheaper than anyone els out there. If you are interested in upgrading your Jeep or rig go directly to Ventures Truck Parts:

http://venturestruckparts.com/

This will save you from having to PM me first.

#91 ·
Good points on the suspension. So to answer the questions:

1. No it is not at ride hieght,
2. the air bags will not allow much articulation. They will compress to 5 inches and extend to 18.5. So no alot of articulation as compared to coil overs.
3. I used busings because this rig will see alot of street time. I am building it as a mild wheeler, family trail ride machine. The T-Rex was more for extreme.

4. Track bars are short due to the diameter of the Air bags. Not much room under there.

5. I have tested the suspension out and I get full articulation (as far as the air bags will allow), with no binding.

SO here is the supension complete, Tuff Counrty Shocks in, Tuff country EZ ride up front on the Dana 44 High Pinion.

#92 · (Edited)
Off to my buddys house, Alex, where his father is a sheet metal guy and can help us with the body work.

Tractors always come in handy.

The donor body

Now trimming the body to fit the frame rails. As you know jeep tubs sit in between the frame rails not like a truck that sits on top of the frame rails. Since there is not a whole lot of room under a Jeep, we had to cut access panels in the floor for our air bags and other things that we attached to the frame rail sides.

Body #1 in place

Now we started to trimm and fab up the donor body. Here is Alex cutting the notches for the fram rail.

After a long day, we finally got the donor body sitting on the frame, this weekend we will work on the sheet metal and alignment.

I messed up my calculations and the body is several inches shorter than the frame, but not by far. I was thinking that I would need some more body panels but this may work for us.

http://carphotos3.cardomain.com/images/0015/74/95/15764759_large.jpg

#97 ·
My wife is totally into this stuff. She used to help me restore old cars, she and i restored an old 1961 Dodge Power Wagom MASH vehicle, we restored her 1968 Charger, and we did a 1986 Dodge one ton Crew cab that was her daily driver.

#99 ·
We worked on fabing sheetmetal and I did not get any pictures because it was dark. sorry. Will have some on tuesday.

Since I have gone with air bags I have given up some of the articulation, but I have added a new level of control, and a true "walking-beam". I will have an on-board compressor with guages and control levers so that I can alter the air pressure as I drive. A future upgrade that I would like to do is get the compressors like they have in the big cement / dump trucks where I could create a vacuume and actually pull up the rear most axle when I am makeing sharp turns on hard surfaces to avoid tire scrub. That is an option later down the road when I can afford it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.