Pirate 4x4 banner

Urban Assault TJ Zombie Killer build.

120K views 205 replies 52 participants last post by  bugman114 
#1 ·
So we are going to start on the T-Rex Junior project. For the last 11 years we have beat on our old faithful Dodge T-Rex 6x6. It has been a great truck and we learned alot from it.

So now I an going to start on a much smaller project. I got a 98 TJ. First I put on some armor, bumper, winch, and then when I tried to get my family all in the Jeep I realized that I cant fit us and a lunch box. The T-Rex could fit 6 people and tons of extra stuff. So that is when I realized that I have to modify this TJ beyond the regular mods.

See less See more
#104 ·
Understood.

I never understood all the drama in the hardcore section. I've always been one to offer up what I know if somebody asks...without belittling them. We all started somewhere.

I feel good wheeling my $2k yj and not having to worry about breaking parts on my $40k buggy ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with for sheet metal. I showed my wife your pictures last night and she even liked it...and she's never impressed by anything automotive.

#106 ·
My TJ build was only $5300 including the jeep......until I tried fitting my whole family in it (the dog and picnic had to stay behind) and I decided to streatch the thing. Oh boy!

#107 ·
The frame/tub I got for $750... but then I did the stak.. ox's.. etc etc

I figured it out once with my labor included @ $100 an hour and it was almost $60,000... like $15,000 in parts... But it drives as good as my car and is unstoppable offroad, so I guess it was worth it.

(even had my frame hot dipped ROFL)

#108 · (Edited)
I paid $1000 for my yj, then put another $1000 in with a 4.0 swap and some 33's and a lift. I'm trying not to go overboard this time around. Getting an 8.8 and some lockers later on I the year and that should about do it for this one.

I looked at the short 60's you used in this build. I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but I'd never be able to get into my garage with anything larger than 35's :).

With one kid, I can get away with the yj. Still able to bring the picnic and the dogs ;)

#110 ·
OK, My buddy Alex and his father are pretty good with sheet metal, not only do they have the tools, but they have the talent.

Here are the floor cross braces:

Now they have fabbed the floor access box for the air suspension components:

and the two tubs become one::)

#113 · (Edited)
It was a busy day here is what we got done.

Body bolted down, hood on and everything hooked back up, dash board in.

I had to fab a new carrier bearing mount.

Here is Daryl, ALex's father, a real sheet metal guy.

Fenders coming along

New flooring and seat brackets

Trimming almost done.

Fluids in the axle, and bleeding the brakes.

#117 ·
Every night when we finish it is late and dark. So sorry no pictures.

So We have the roll bars finished, the floor in, the seat mounts, and fuel tank in place. We are having issues with the brakes. We have bleed them all 4-5 times over, and the brakes will pump up but will not hold. The first push on the pedal it goes to the floor, after 3-4 pumps it builds up pressure. All the calipers are moving in when it is pumped up but the next time you hit the pedal it is mushy. Even when you pump it up it is not enough to stop the vehicle. There is no air in the system. Hummmm???? Since we are going to Disk brakes in the back instead of the old drums it may be a priority valve issues, or maybe the master cylinder decieds to go out, but what ever the issue we are a bit befuddled.

Even with the brakes in non working condition we move ahead to Paint. After paint we will again attack the brakes and try and figure out what is wrong.

List of things to do before we head out to Top Truck Challenge in CA, June 9th:

1) FIX BRAKES
2) reinstall seats Seat belts
3)Install final Drive shafts
4)align wheels and adjust track bars, control arms to get all in alignment
5) wire front E-locker and put in switch
6) install compressor and controller unit for the Air bags.
7)Tail pipe ( however it sounds really cool right now)
8)Install rear bumper tire carrier/gas can carrier
9) wire up tail lights
10)install sound bars and wire up to stereo
11)Apply Decals
12) Install paintball Machine gun mount on rear roll bar
13)Test it out.

Things to do after TTC when I have some more time:

1) Fix anything that we broke at TTC.
2)Build linkage to rear transfer case so that I can do front digs
3)Build better front sway bar disconnects
4) Install CB radio and antenna
5)install rock lights
6) finish armor tube work / rear fenders
7) Find Zombies to run over.

#118 ·
After some great research on this thread it looks like I will need to go with a 2002 Dodge Master Cylinder, it bolts right up to the TJ booster and the lines will work, just needs a longer pushrod.

#121 ·
Not to hijack your thread, but is TTC open to the public for spectators??

#122 ·
No it is not, especially this year. Since this is the Champions Challenge ( the winners form the last 20 years get to come back and compete) they are very strict about safety and spectators.

#127 ·
Yes the picture is decieving. We had a date with the paint shop so we rushed the jeep to paint before we have everything in alignment. The front axle needs a toe-in alignment. The middle axle will move forward just a bit and be aligned. The rear axle will also be alinged. There will be 5 inches between tires in the rear.right now the passengers side is closer than the drivers side. Also the rear axle need the track bar adjusted because the rear is over to the drivers side by about .5 inch.

We just have not had time to adjust everything. As soon as we get it back we will do so, and get the final drive train in place along with a ton of other little stuff.

#128 ·
It has been a busy week. The Jeep got come color

The rear bumper is almost done, just fabing up the mounts, then paint and then I fabbed up a license plate holder with a third brake light.

#130 ·
What a great weekend. Here is a summary of the work I did.

First, I worked on the body armor

Fitment of the front part of the armor panel

Welding up the seams

Fitment of the entire rear panel, I will add tube to it later this summer to make armor fenders so that I am street legal here in Utah.:shaking:

#132 ·
Now for alignment.

Here is Alex trying to get the right amount of toe-in

Next we aligned the rear axles, cycled the suspension, and made sure everthing worked. The Airbag Walking beam works good. When one axle is shoved up it transfers air pressure to the other axle creating countering with down force. Great contact patch. I am alittle disappointed with the travel, but for a mild wheeler I will have great traction control. Coil overs would give tons more travel, but the control this airbag system will give me we make up for some of the limitations in travel. 16 inches of travel, mostly drop. The suspension will take months to tweak.

Put on the side rails, wired up the e-locker in the front and then called it a night. Tomorrow after work I will try and tackle the brake issues.

#135 · (Edited)
We had a design change mid run from Drop box (mentioned earilier in the thread) to the 205. The reason we had to push everything back was to fit in the drive shafts. We cant move the axle much further forward because our middle drive shaft is already at 13 inches. But Tom Wood build a killer super shorty drive shaft for us and at 13 inches is still has alot of slip. Any closer and the middle shaft would not have enought slip to get any articulation.

The middle axle is at about 107 inches wheel base, whick is a pretty good wheel base and then we added the training wheels in the back. .....lol :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.