Pirate 4x4 banner

Urban Assault TJ Zombie Killer build.

120K views 205 replies 52 participants last post by  bugman114 
#1 ·
So we are going to start on the T-Rex Junior project. For the last 11 years we have beat on our old faithful Dodge T-Rex 6x6. It has been a great truck and we learned alot from it.

So now I an going to start on a much smaller project. I got a 98 TJ. First I put on some armor, bumper, winch, and then when I tried to get my family all in the Jeep I realized that I cant fit us and a lunch box. The T-Rex could fit 6 people and tons of extra stuff. So that is when I realized that I have to modify this TJ beyond the regular mods.

See less See more
#137 ·
Later on I am planning on going with a lower profile fuel cell and according to my measurements I should be able to use it again. Until then I have a plest of black sheet metal that will go in there and it will house the LED side marker light.

#138 ·
Well, it does work, It will go, we just can't get it to stop. The stock Jeep Master cylinder would not work because it is set up for disk front and Drum rear( disk= low pressure / high volume, drum=high presure / low volume). So we swapped it out with a New Dodge 3500 Master cylinder(disk front and rear, tons of volume), bolts right up. We extended the push rod, the resivior barly clears the hood(actually had to ding the hood to make it fit). We bled the system and were so excited to finally take it for a test drive. The brakes seemed to hold fine. Good pressure, grat firm pedal. Excellent!! We got out to the street when the brake pedal went to the floor.... fluid everywhere. I guess I forgot to tighten up the banjo bolt enough on the drivers front caliper. Dang, razem frazem frakin' flea bearing stupid blepper snizzles!!!!!GGGGRRRRR.... So Alex hopped underneath and tightened every thing up, we leak tested everthing, and bled the system again, and agian, and again.........The brakes are really spongy, and go to the floor the first push and then on the second or third pump they build up nicely, but on that first push they go to the floor.!!!! What the FLip!!!! Tomorrow we will try the power bleeder, but I cant figure this one out. We have bled it so many times and no air is coming out!!??? GRRRRR!

#139 ·
2 things. If you are dropping pressure with no leaks, its usually a failed seal in the MC IE.. leaks from 1 side to the other. So it never holds pressure and you have to generate it every time. Looks like a bad outta the box MC.

2nd thing.
Which dodge box... PN? Will it work on a YJ? I seriously need an upgrade ... HATE the stock yj MC... and I am using Disc Disc too... Any info would be nice.

#143 ·
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! :eek:
Alex was brilliant and discovered the trick to get the brakes working! Wow after 3 days of struggles they work. So last night at 11:00 we took it for a spin!

HOLY DIVER!!!! It drives so nice!! :D:D

Yes we only had it up to 45 so that we could make sure the brakes work, but wow, what a smoot drive. Those air bags rock. It drove straight, true, no wobble,turned great, stopped well, and stoped straight even with no hands on the wheel. No wierd vibrations, just smooth! I can't wait to get home from work today to test it out alittle more. My neighbors probalby hate me right now cause Alex and I were hootin' and hollering last night at 11:00 at night!!! What a rush. :)

#144 ·
So on the technical side, we had used a power bleeder, adjusted the push rod and still no brakes. They would go to the floor each time. I swapped out the MC with another new one bleed all the line again and still pedal to the floor. GGRRRR!!!!

Alex said lets pull the front calipers off and flip them upside down to see if there is an air pockes that just wont bleed our. Sure enough, we fliped them upside down and a pocket of air came out. Bled them thouroughly and reinstalled.

Went to the pedal and TA DA!!!! Firm!! I can't believe that was it after all this time.:shaking:

#146 ·
My family wanted to go with me for a test driver so we headed out to drive it around and see how it felt and handled. It handled great. Very smooth until South Ogden's finest saw me go by and he flipped a U turn and came after me. GREAT!!!! It was the same cop that gave me a hassle when I was bringing home my new trailer and it did not have tags. He pulled me over because i did not have mud flaps. I told him they were at home and we were just out in the neighborhood testing out the new vehicle. Then he got picky and said my third break light was wrong, that i did not have fenders covering all of the rear wheels. I told him that it was still under construction and the fenders were coming but I wanted to test drive it a bit first. Then when he saw my registration and safetly inspection he got upset. " how could you have this safety inspected when you don't have your State Highway inspection certificate". I tried to expalin that it was inspected before i started the build. He acted as if I was lying to him. He said that any time you weld to the frame you have to have a Highway Patrol inspection and certification. I said then that means about 30% of all 4x4 that have a long arm suspension are illegal because they have had brakets welded on to the frame. He went back to his car and we sat there for 40 mins!!!!! Finally he came back out and gave me a ticket for " unsafe Vehicle" He asked me to sign the ticket and then call the courts. I asked how much the fine was. He could not tell me. I said I am not going to sign a ticket where I am admitting guilt without knowing the fines. I told him that I am a retired NMMP State Trooper from NM and we never ask anyone to sign anything until they know thier options, pay the fine or appear in court. Things are not that way in Utah he said. I signed the ticket. and he said we had to go straight home.

So I did, I drove straight home. Now get this He came by my house 15 min later to make sure I was there. I was out working on the Jeep when he came by the first time, so I just waved, then he came by about 45 min later, I was still out there working. He got out and came up to me and asked if I had taken care of my trailer and all. Then he told me that he thought i was lying. I said I have all the paper work, " do you want to see it?" He was there for about 30 mins. Well, We left on a good note, but I guess I have to finishe everything on this rig and then take it to the UHP and get it "certified" Man , I miss New Mexico. Almost all Rock buggies are street legal down there. No need to trailer your buggy everywhere, just drive it. In NM as long as you have lights at the right level, signals, muffler, breaks on each axle, and some sort of windshield (googles work) your vehicle can be street legal. Dang what a drag this is. I wonder how much my fine will be?

#147 ·
It was a busy day yesterday, I finished the drive train. Welded in the Carrier bearing and got my new driveshafts form Tom Wood. Oh they are beautiful. I installed the drive shafts and worked on some electrical for my faulty third brake light. Then reworked my mud flaps, and waited till early this morning. I will not officially say that I took it out on the road for another test drive, but through Anoratic biodeninulative vertual third plain simimulation, in a cross dimiensional time vortex i was able to get the proper feed back and input behavioral response to make a judgment that the Jeep drive works great on the road. With all the drive shafts in it drove smooth and flawless up to 50 mph. I will hae to wait to simulate a virtual run at any higher speeds.

This Jeep has exceeded my own expectations. Next I will have to test it out off road and see if the front locker works. Still only running rear wheel drive.

Here are the latest pictures:

Other side of the drivetrain coming out of the second t-case:

Interior;

A fun touch to the Zombie Killer Jeep:

#154 ·

Got the air compressor in and the air lines all hooked up, hooked up the wires for the front e-locker, machine gun mount is finished, decals, and instruments are done.

When I get back from TTC I will have to fabricate my rear fenders and then go see if I can get it safety inspected for street legality.

WOOT WOOT!!!:p Almost done!!

#162 ·
#165 ·
So we just got back from Top Truck Challenge and it was epic. We tested the jeep out and used it to get around. Here is Alex trying it out:

Now to finish teh fenders over the rear, e brake, and shift levers.

#169 ·
So we headed homeward to visit family and do some wheeling and hiking in my old stomping grounds, the San Jaun Mountains in Southern CO and Northern New Mexico. We put the jeep in the Bayfield parade supporting my brother in laws autobody shop. Here are some pictures of our wheelin the Zombi Killer.

Here we are headed home.

Coming down Balck Bear pass. Tight switchbacks!!!:smokin:

We had to limit the flex in the rear due to CVs binding...bummer..:shaking:

#171 ·
If they are tall or sit on thier knees for the picture like my daughter is doing. The rear seat is raised so that an adult can operate the machine gun(not pictured here) that mounts on the top of the roll bar.

#173 ·
VA is a long ways away, we don't do many Tactical Martial Arts seminars out there, but if you are ever out here, I'll take you on some trail rides in Moab and we can brush up on your hand to hand combat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.