Urban Assault TJ Zombie Killer build. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Urban Assault TJ Zombie Killer build.

So we are going to start on the T-Rex Junior project. For the last 11 years we have beat on our old faithful Dodge T-Rex 6x6. It has been a great truck and we learned alot from it.

So now I an going to start on a much smaller project. I got a 98 TJ. First I put on some armor, bumper, winch, and then when I tried to get my family all in the Jeep I realized that I cant fit us and a lunch box. The T-Rex could fit 6 people and tons of extra stuff. So that is when I realized that I have to modify this TJ beyond the regular mods.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8331
So parts have been coming in, and It is getting exciting. I want to strech this jeep so that I con put two bench seats in the back with an optional machine gun ring in the roll cage for the optional 30cal, or 50 cal machine gun....you know for the Zombi Apocalypse...

I want it much lighter that the T-Rex, and smaller an nimbler. It may not ba as capable as the T-Rex but it should be fun.

Tires came in, These Wranglers are great. only 35s..... and 7 of them to boot..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 123044
Awesome, I will be watching this build for sure. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I met you in Moab and shot the shit with you a few years back, I lov the Trex.
If you ever need a hand I live about 5 minutes away in North Ogden
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangy View Post
Awesome, I will be watching this build for sure. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I met you in Moab and shot the shit with you a few years back, I lov the Trex.
If you ever need a hand I live about 5 minutes away in North Ogden
Thanks for the offer. I may need some bodies to help lift the Tub off later this week. That is the hard part. The fun will be streching the frame, and building the suspension.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8331
So here is the official plan. This TJ will be streched to fit two more bench seats and hold a machine gun ring in the roll bar.

We will make it 6x6 just like the T-Rex, but we will not use Rockwells.

We will use regular axles in the rear that will be facing each other with a drop box in the middle.

The rear suspension will be a four link with air bags to create a true 'walking beam' suspension. Each side will be tied to gether, so when the middle axle gets pushed up it will put more air pressure on the rear axle behind it, forcing more traction.

The drop box will allow us to disengage the rear so that we can do front digs.

For now we will stick with the 4.0, but I have a v8 option.

Final it will be painted green, most likely lime green.

Last edited by sprueitt; 03-26-2012 at 08:25 AM.
sprueitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Brackets from Ballistic Fabrication are almost all here, and I like thier Busings.

Things are getting cool:

The guys at Ventures Truck Parts here in Ogden UT have scored the coolest things. They bought hundreds of the these axles that were built by Dana for industrial / military purposes, yet they were never used. So they got these axles as brand new salvage.
The axles are Dana 60s that are lighter due to an axle tube that is not quite as big around as a regular Dana 60, they are only 60 inch wide (jeep width) and they have these monsterous axle shafts. 35 spline, then we add disk brakes, then detroit lockers. And their prices are really good.

Here are the lockers going together, Detroits in the Rear.

E-locker for the front which is going to be a high pinion 44.
4.56 gears all the way around. Pictures coming with the disk brakes on. We will use the standard TJ front brackets for the 44 up front, and I will fabricate the mounts for the two rear axles for the air bag suspension.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8331
For some reason the pictures dont seem to show up on my browser, so I thought I would try another source: Here are the pictures:

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8331
All the brackets and joints from Balistic Fabrication showed up and we are ready to start tacking things in place. So my budd Alex and I started the tear down of the Jeep.

It took us only 3.5 hours to tear this jeep down to the frame.

next we work on streching the frame.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Pulling the rear axle off.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 56430
In 1994, Kevin had a 6x6 CJ8 in the TTC. I've got some old photos. It used semi-truck-cab-airbags for the suspension, all hooked together. As one bag lifted, it pressurized the other bags, forcing them down. Worked great. This is before the modern link ends were readily available, so his arms were a little primative, but conceptially, it worked flawlessly. He should have won TTC, but had some fuel problems.

Kevin modified a Dana 18 and a Dana 20 transfer case, whereby he ended up with BOTH outputs, in the same case. So one output fed the near (mid) axle, facing forward. The other output fed the rearward axle, with a carrier bearing off the frame, to clear the nearest axle. In normal drive (2wd), both rear axles were under power. In 4 high, the front was then engaged, and in 4 low, it worked as OEM designed, except it fed power to both.

The CJ8, had a single enlarged rear opening, which looked factory. The only (future) problem would have been tire size, as his design was for 33 inch tires, hence the size of the wheel openings. As tires progressively got larger, his axles would have been too close together to go larger, and the wheel opening would have been too small..... Both easily fixed, but would require much bodywork. The wheelbase/body was definately stretched, and quite a bit too.

I've asked Atlas, a couple times, if they ever intended to build an offset case. Each time they've told me there isn't enough market demand. But I think someone could still modify a case, to run dual outputs, without tooooooooo much difficulty. There are some amazing fabricators/machinists here.

And one final comment, for now. You aren't going to be wanting to do any front digs, with this rig. With TWO rear axles, and FOUR rear tires, trying to drag this heavy, sticky, turd around with a D44 will be foolish. You are used to the invincibility of Rocks. You gotta relearn how to drive weak components.

Last edited by Treeclimber; 03-29-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
In 1994, Kevin had a 6x6 CJ8 in the TTC. I've got some old photos. It used semi-truck-cab-airbags for the suspension, all hooked together. As one bag lifted, it pressurized the other bags, forcing them down. Worked great. This is before the modern link ends were readily available, so his arms were a little primative, but conceptially, it worked flawlessly. He should have won TTC, but had some fuel problems.

Kevin modified a Dana 18 and a Dana 20 transfer case, whereby he ended up with BOTH outputs, in the same case. So one output fed the near (mid) axle, facing forward. The other output fed the rearward axle, with a carrier bearing off the frame, to clear the nearest axle. In normal drive (2wd), both rear axles were under power. In 4 high, the front was then engaged, and in 4 low, it worked as OEM designed, except it fed power to both.

The CJ8, had a single enlarged rear opening, which looked factory. The only (future) problem would have been tire size, as his design was for 33 inch tires, hence the size of the wheel openings. As tires progressively got larger, his axles would have been too close together to go larger, and the wheel opening would have been too small..... Both easily fixed, but would require much bodywork. The wheelbase/body was definately stretched, and quite a bit too.

I've asked Atlas, a couple times, if they ever intended to build an offset case. Each time they've told me there isn't enough market demand. But I think someone could still modify a case, to run dual outputs, without tooooooooo much difficulty. There are some amazing fabricators/machinists here.

And one final comment, for now. You aren't going to be wanting to do any front digs, with this rig. With TWO rear axles, and FOUR rear tires, trying to drag this heavy, sticky, turd around with a D44 will be foolish. You are used to the invincibility of Rocks. You gotta relearn how to drive weak components.
Thanks tree climber, great input. A lot of people who have done the 6x6 conversion have done a dual output t-case with twins shafts going back and even a carry-over for the rear most axle. We are doing it similar to the prototype version. We are putting a drop box inbetween two dana 60s. the 60's will be facing eachother. Thus, we have only one output shaft coming out of the t-case and then it is split right between the two axles.

Yes our components are weaker than our old T-Rex's rockwell axles, but With Dana 60's and an built 44 we should be OK to do some digs in soft ground. We can shut off the rear, and brake the rear independantly. It will be fun to test out. By design I want my u-joints to be the weak link, cause those are easies and cheapest to fix if any part is going to grenade.

Also this Jeep is going to be more for moderate trail rides, we need the room for the whol family, dog, and camping gear thus the need to strech it.

Here is how we built our old Tow RIg that used to tow our green T-Rex around. 1998 Cummins Dodge 3500 We used a bolt on Gear Over Box, bolted to the middle axle and it sent the next shaft over its shoulder to the rear. This worked great!! We put 250K miles on this rig with only a crank sensor and clutches as maintenance replacements. Not to shabby. The company that makes the gear over box is reworking a next generation. Startracks custom RV is thier name, I think???

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0002_large.jpg

Last edited by sprueitt; 03-30-2012 at 07:32 AM.
sprueitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 56430
That's pretty damn cool. You have a fondness for 6 wheel drive.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
This should be an awesome build! I remember reading up on the TRex in Fourwheeler some time ago.
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8331
I got hooked on 6x6 years ago whe I had a 6x6 Max AATV. My buddies had four wheelers and thew where alot faster, but when we came to this huge tree across the road they cound not get over it, and my 6x6 just crawled right over.

Then when I compared the T-Rex to even radically built fullsized 4x4 trucks the 6x6 could go tons more places than they could. At one 57% slick rock wall, I climbe right up it and no one could follow. You just have so much contact patch with 6x6, and there are less places to get hung up on. If you had 6x6 with six wheel steering that would be the best. 6x6 weakness is turning radius.

This should be a fun build. I should have the framed stretched by tomorrow night.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 215384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprueitt View Post
The company that makes the gear over box is reworking a next generation. Startracks custom RV is their name, I think???
Found their website http://www.startracksmotorsports.com/6x6trucks.html
The pictures are all from USA6X6, did they buy all the stuff/design from Dan?

Love both of your trucks, can't wait to see what you do to the Jeep!
6x6TRex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Here is the progress after today. Noat as much done as we wanted, but the frame is getting longer.

Notching the frame

Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Oh im definatly gonna watch this one!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 39799
Subscribed.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x6TRex View Post
Found their website http://www.startracksmotorsports.com/6x6trucks.html
The pictures are all from USA6X6, did they buy all the stuff/design from Dan?

Love both of your trucks, can't wait to see what you do to the Jeep!
Yes the took over the stuff from Daniel. The Gear over box was a great way to do a simple conversion.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 8331
The drop box will hang under that cross member feeding the two facing Dana 60's.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Today going to bring the axle back to our garage, and start welding up the Ballistic Fabrication Brackets and get them mounted on the axles. Airb bags should also arrive today or tomorrow. Mock up will happen this thursday.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 68805
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Got the two Dana 60 back from Ventures Truck Parts and they are awesome. Put the tires on and rolled them under the Jeep to start doing placement.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
Is there going to be that much spacer between the rear tires?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 8331
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Is there going to be that much spacer between the rear tires?
No, I have to get the drop box and drive shafts in there to see how much space it will require.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.