2.5L to Auto Tranny - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Avalon Crawler

Member # 15221
2.5L to Auto Tranny

Has anybody adapted 4.0L auto or GM auto to a 4cyl jeep motor? I hate the manual for crawling. I haven't been able to find any info on such a swap.

I have a 99 TJ with 60/14b, 5.13's in it, 38.5 SX's, D300 with 4:1's in it. I done it all myself and I am not opposed to having to regear again to run the auto as I can set-up my own gears. I have a rear 60 I can swap in to replace the 14b.

Any one done it or have any info on what needs to be done to do it?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Some early '90s 2.5l XJ's came with the AW-4 as the auto transmission, 2wd and 4wd. The bellhousing from one of these will fit an AW-4 from a 4.0l. The TCM is different, too, gave a couple hundred RPMs higher shift point spread.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Here's Johnny!

Member # 12867
Why not look at the 30RH? It came factory for your year and engine and would bolt right up. Its a 3 speed though if that matters.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 158798
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostytj View Post
Why not look at the 30RH? It came factory for your year and engine and would bolt right up. Its a 3 speed though if that matters.
Agreed, your gear and tire combo would run at around 2900rpm at 65mph, I don't think a 2.5 could pull less rpm at that speed. The 32RH has a locking converter and a 2.74 first gear ratio, it is a good little trans and is much shorter overall than any Chevy you might adapt.
Greg Ducato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Avalon Crawler

Member # 15221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ducato View Post
Agreed, your gear and tire combo would run at around 2900rpm at 65mph, I don't think a 2.5 could pull less rpm at that speed. The 32RH has a locking converter and a 2.74 first gear ratio, it is a good little trans and is much shorter overall than any Chevy you might adapt.
I don't think I'll be hitting 65 anytime soon...LOL. I don't drive on the highway much at all. Most of our wheeling spots are within city limits so 40-50mph is all I will see. I am just sick of riding the clutch when crawling.

What else would I need? Would I need to change out the ECU to accomodate the auto? Tranny's are like voodoo to me
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3511
Trans, trans cooler, shifter, ecu - might need to change the input shaft on your tcase. Driveshaft lengths will change.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.