Early Bronco 44 in a Tj. is it worth it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156320
Early Bronco 44 in a Tj. is it worth it?

hey guys i have a 44 i purchased last year for an axle swap and i never got to starting it until now. i havent done anthing to it yet but i thought i'd ask yall what your opinion of how well this would work for my 99 tj.

its an early bronco dana 44. (58 inch width) it doesnt have the axle shafts and i already cut the brackets off and the radius c's. i thought it would be a good match but the more i research the axle the less i wonder if its worth investing in.

i already have an EB ford 9 inch built and under my jeep. with spacers to match the factory width. 456 gears and a detroit.

but i do have knuckles off of a older f150 and these knuckles are set up for disks..

i'd have to get axle shafts. preferably cromo's with the 760 joints. and 4.56 gears plus a locker of my choice.

the factors that make me wonder if its worth building are as such:
1. 58 inch wheel base (which i could possibly ad spacers to)
2. low pinion
3. the amount of money i would need to dump into it
4. the differential is more centered in the axle than would be desireable

if anyone has put one of these in a tj please let me know if you have personally done this, and your opinion of its worth in a tj. i have yet to see any pictures of a tj with one under it.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 156320
bump
CarolinaTJ906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
-------

Member # 13671
Cant help you with the TJ related stuff, but the width is 59.5" with disc brakes... so consider it a 60" front. The rear 9 is 58".

"Is it worth it" compared to what? Building what other axle? Get a few ideas on your other options, price everything out and compare it that way.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 156320
i still have my factory dana 30 and im wanting to toss it. or at least gear swapping it until i get a good front axle to go in.
like i said i already have the front axle. but im comparing it to just keeping the axle and building it, or going and buying something like a waggy front end, or a full width ford dana 44 and shortening it.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I have an eb frontend for sale and my buddys building a tj and thought about using it. But I think the pumkin is just too far in board to work. And you would have to fab you own link mounts, which isn't a problem for some. But TNT makes a truss system that makes an 80+ waggy 44 basically a bolt in so that's what he's going with. I'd like to see someone with pics of this swap though.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 185439
Was just about do this but figure full width for money is better way go..I can just think of to many other axles I'd want
jeepinnorcal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 156320
i'd go full width too if i hadnt already invested all this in a factory width 9 inch. which i think is plenty strong enough for what i'm looking for in the rear. i wouldnt have a problem fabricating brackets onto the axle. i just wonder is it more worth it to invest in a different axle. i just spent the past day reading through a 30-44 battle.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 104726
The EB 44 isn't that low pinion??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 years serving so your ass didnt have to
panama
kuwait
iraq
somolia
bosnia

now kicking it as a civilian:flipoff2:
THECHAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78574
I have seen one in a YJ and there is enough room for the front drive shaft to clear the oil pan. Probably around an inch or 2. I think he had to route his exhaust coming out of the header different though.
xBlakex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaTJ906 View Post
the factors that make me wonder if its worth building are as such:
1. 58 inch wheel base (which i could possibly ad spacers to)
2. low pinion
3. the amount of money i would need to dump into it
I don't have any experience with putting one in a TJ, but those are the same 3 factors that keep me from putting the same axle in my XJ. I picked it up for next to nothing, but it was just the housing and knuckles, and would have cost much more to equip it than buying a complete axle, either stock, or with aftermarket parts. I never got far enough into it to consider if the offset would be an issue.

Last edited by GFY Racing; 05-17-2012 at 06:43 AM.
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 221147
I'm bringning this tread back to life.

I'm also thinking about installing EB 44 and a 9 inch on a TJ. Reason, they would be coming from my YJ wrangler, the 9 in is shaved, as a currie high pignion with currie axle a detroit locker and 4.56 gears.

The d44 front as of course the same gears, an arb locker, chromo axle with hd u joint and f-150 disk brakes.

My question is more related to the width. Will they fit with the coil spring? Do I need spacers. I don't plan on a lift more than 3 inch but could be running 35 up to 36-37 with flat fenders, wheel well triming and bump stop.

Reason why I would like to keep them, they have been extremely relaiable with 35 inc. Boggers, and I have 3 set of wheel and tires according to the type of wheeling I'm doing. It is also a long distance and adventure rig so I kind of want to keep the wheel locks on the d44.

Tank you for your advice and experiences.

Last edited by lucky j; 10-08-2014 at 11:26 PM.
lucky j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 171249
You can fit coil springs and all you need up there for it to fit in a TJ.
maximus1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Only thing I would worry about when keeping it low is oil pan clearance the pumkin is towards the center quiet a bit.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 221147
Good point about the location of the pumpkin! I will look into that but it was ok with the yj, the issue was more with the exhaust leaving the manufold. But nothing that the appropriate bump stop should take care of!

Once again tank you for the replies!
lucky j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 197732
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky j View Post
I'm bringning this tread back to life.

I'm also thinking about installing EB 44 and a 9 inch on a TJ. Reason, they would be coming from my YJ wrangler, the 9 in is shaved, as a currie high pignion with currie axle a detroit locker and 4.56 gears.

The d44 front as of course the same gears, an arb locker, chromo axle with hd u joint and f-150 disk brakes.

My question is more related to the width. Will they fit with the coil spring? Do I need spacers. I don't plan on a lift more than 3 inch but could be running 35 up to 36-37 with flat fenders, wheel well triming and bump stop.

Reason why I would like to keep them, they have been extremely relaiable with 35 inc. Boggers, and I have 3 set of wheel and tires according to the type of wheeling I'm doing. It is also a long distance and adventure rig so I kind of want to keep the wheel locks on the d44.

Tank you for your advice and experiences.
Kaiser lockers are not as harsh on axles as detroits and ARB's. Plus you will keep your lines much easier than in those two when wheeling, specially the front end.
filipefalco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 27390
i'd stay away from it.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
What's to stop you from doing a HP junk yard center section and retubing it to a common axle size that would work for the jeep. You will also be setting up your ends how you want them too. Say waggy axle or scout lengh just flip the long and short. But they'd be available. You could make a press/centering jig bar to pull the tubes in and keep them centered with cones then weld them in there with the bar in. Pull it out and set up your ends. Now you have a high pinion TJ axle housing that uses common shaft sizes and is almost free. I think I'm going to do this..
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep937 View Post
What's to stop you from doing a HP junk yard center section and retubing it to a common axle size that would work for the jeep. You will also be setting up your ends how you want them too. Say waggy axle or scout lengh just flip the long and short. But they'd be available. You could make a press/centering jig bar to pull the tubes in and keep them centered with cones then weld them in there with the bar in. Pull it out and set up your ends. Now you have a high pinion TJ axle housing that uses common shaft sizes and is almost free. I think I'm going to do this..
Buddy did this in a Cherokee used TNT waggy truss system ground the welds off the inner "c"'s cut axle tube pounded c's back on burned them in. Basically narrowed hi-pinion ford to waggy width.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 50971
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Buddy did this in a Cherokee used TNT waggy truss system ground the welds off the inner "c"'s cut axle tube pounded c's back on burned them in. Basically narrowed hi-pinion ford to waggy width.
I've built a few like this for people around me , they turned out great wish I could just find more housings to cut up.
fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.