TJ steering: Currie vs Rock Krawler - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 68995
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 108
TJ steering: Currie vs Rock Krawler

Looking at finally updating the steering to either Currie or the RK X Factor. I've seen both in action and they both hold up to abuse on the trails. I've seen more people with Currie than the RK kit. Any major reason for this?
__________________
98 TJ, 35s, locked D30 and 8.8, 4.56s
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jeepinmichguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Member # 160362
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 49
Yup.
jeepinmichguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 68995
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
Yup.
Thanks for the informative comment...
__________________
98 TJ, 35s, locked D30 and 8.8, 4.56s
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sahara01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member # 79038
Location: Middle of nowhere....
Posts: 466
I've seen more broken / bent Currie than Rock Krawler . Haven't seen any failures with the Rock Krawler system now that I think about it.
__________________
Works sucks....I'm going wheeling.


Team #242 Shortbus Offroad (RCRoc's)



[URL="www.rockkrawler.com"]www.rockkrawler.com[/URL

GOODYEAR TIRES
SOLID AXLE INDUSTRIEs
[B]Edge Racing Converters[/B]
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Savvy Off Road
 
Provelogear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 110540
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 2,771
That's probably because there are 100x more Currie kits out there than the RK kits. Get our 4340 heat treated Savvy/Currie Ultimate kit and never worry about bending the tie rod.
__________________
COMPETITION BREEDS INNOVATION! 3X EMC



Click here for: SAVVY OFF ROAD WEBSITE


Follow us on Facebook for the latest news and pictures: Savvy Off Road Facebook
Provelogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
EricsGreen98Tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 187456
Location: Elkins WV
Posts: 966
So with your guys HD tie rod added to the Currie kit that obviously moves the weakest link further down the line. In YOUR opinoin whats likely to fail next since the tie rod doesnt bend? Any chance your knuckles are going to be the next "weakest link"? or will the TRE's bust before the knuckle shatters?

Just curious is all, NOT trying to put you guys on the spot..
__________________
Looking for a hydraulic FORD 4 speed bellhousing and the clutch fork. PM me with any leads please.
EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 68995
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 108
My current setup is a BDO tie road that has held up well. I recently hit the drag link on a rock and bent it in and pulled it back out with a winch. It got hit where the tie rod attaches to the drag link. Is this area significantly stronger on the Currie?
__________________
98 TJ, 35s, locked D30 and 8.8, 4.56s
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
clcsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Member # 220252
Location: Santa Clarita, SoCal
Posts: 21
I've been on back order for RK for weeks. Calls to the company left me feeling like they could care less if I bought their product. They do make a great product, but they obviously can't keep up on demand.
clcsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Member # 143020
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 100
Nothing but issues with my currie setup . Unique joints (money and time to get), stupid non-serviceable joint on drag link, and still same geometry as stock so you are going to get bump steer. Tired of fighting with it without resolution or helpful info from currie. I am going with the ORO or similar crossover soon.
xplodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Savvy Off Road
 
Provelogear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 110540
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
So with your guys HD tie rod added to the Currie kit that obviously moves the weakest link further down the line. In YOUR opinoin whats likely to fail next since the tie rod doesnt bend? Any chance your knuckles are going to be the next "weakest link"? or will the TRE's bust before the knuckle shatters?

Just curious is all, NOT trying to put you guys on the spot..
I'm thinking TRE if anything. But, the 4340 Tie rod takes the big hit and usually will spring back so it does bend and bend back. I had one on my recreational crawler for years and it is still straight. We made a custom knuckle to knuckle TR for the Savvy/Currie KOH LJ and I did manage to put a small bend in it during the big race when I was driving on a flat. So you can bend one but few people will drive through the rocks at race speed on a flat. Also, you can bend back both the Currie and Savvy TR in a shop press if needed.
__________________
COMPETITION BREEDS INNOVATION! 3X EMC



Click here for: SAVVY OFF ROAD WEBSITE


Follow us on Facebook for the latest news and pictures: Savvy Off Road Facebook
Provelogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
So with your guys HD tie rod added to the Currie kit that obviously moves the weakest link further down the line. In YOUR opinoin whats likely to fail next since the tie rod doesnt bend? Any chance your knuckles are going to be the next "weakest link"? or will the TRE's bust before the knuckle shatters?

Just curious is all, NOT trying to put you guys on the spot..
definitely the TREs. no way the knuckle is weaker than those.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
'you just got wenzeled BITCH'
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 124275
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
My current setup is a BDO tie road that has held up well. I recently hit the drag link on a rock and bent it in and pulled it back out with a winch. It got hit where the tie rod attaches to the drag link. Is this area significantly stronger on the Currie?
Yes, that junction spot is huge.


I've run the Currie setup for a long time now. I bent the tie rod several times due to my own faulty driving. I have yet to do any damage to the Savvy chromo rod or anything else downstream, and I've tried. I fully believe there's not a better route to go for a TJ axle, period. Flip it on top of the driver's side knuckle and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplodn View Post
Nothing but issues with my currie setup . Unique joints (money and time to get), stupid non-serviceable joint on drag link, and still same geometry as stock so you are going to get bump steer. Tired of fighting with it without resolution or helpful info from currie. I am going with the ORO or similar crossover soon.


1) Unique joints--this argument cracks me up. All joints cost money, what's your point? Do you know of an off-the-shelf joint that uses a TJ-appropriate pin and has a 7/8" shank (tie rod) or 1 1/8" shank (drag link)? I sure don't, and I used to work at a parts store. Plus, parts store TRE's are junk, even Moog. I'd rather spend $50 and know I'm getting a quality part than $60 on a junk rod end. If you're really worried, order up a set of spares when you purchase the steering. I run a tie rod that will outlast the ends and at times I used it as a bulldozer. I don't carry spares and I'm not worried about it a bit. The ends up hold damn well.

2) Non-serviceable joint at the drag link--good luck making that bend and trying to use a threaded rod end. There's no way around it.

3) You clearly don't know what bump steer is if you think the stock steering geometry contributes.

If you're gonna hate on something, at least find some decent reasons to do so.

As for the RK, here's what I don't like:
1) Straight through holes vs. tapered fit. The knuckles are soft so you'll never be able to torque those bolts to hold. Once you get a little play, the hole will wallow out and you're back to tightening them. I'll stick with tapered fits on TJ knuckles.

2) Rod ends vs. TRE's--when it comes to long-lasting and worry-free, TRE wins in this application. On a rig that I drive year-round, I'll always have TRE's.

3) The drag link. Those rod ends are already misaligned quite a bit at ride height due to it bolting up to the bottom of the knuckle. Fully droop the passenger side with 12" shocks and you'll be replacing those rod ends pretty frequently.
__________________
"Don't fuck with my dog"
-heavytlc

Last edited by imped4now; 06-19-2012 at 06:45 AM.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204556
Posts: 210
Ive actually had both setups. Personally i liked the rock krawler setup a lot better. To me it seemed like it was a lot tougher. Also i loked the fact that it doesnt use TREs at the knuckles. I abused my setup pretty badly (lots of droop and bouncing off rocks with it) and it held up very well.

As for the comment above, im pretty sure bump steer is caused my the track bar angle being different from the drag link angle. So yes the drag link geometry does have to do with bump steer and if not setup right any steering setup can get bad bump steer. Personally im not a fan of the stock steering geometry and thats why i went with the RK kit. The best option in my opinion would be to go with a high steer setup and be done with it.
JeepJake OIIIIIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 124275
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Jake, what "seemed" tougher? What's wrong with TRE's? Do you think others don't abuse their setup?

Your definition of bump steer is mainly correct. So tell me--if the drag link connecting points and track bar connecting points are in the factory location, how will that person experience bump steer? Hint: They won't.

These types of arguments have been going on forever. You'll get the baseless "anti-Currie" crowd, the baseless "anti-stock geometry" crowd, and all kinds of other guys spouting out their opinions without applying logic and sound judgement. I've provided my opinions and sound reasoning. More of that and fewer baseless opinions would really help clean up the argument nicely.
__________________
"Don't fuck with my dog"
-heavytlc

Last edited by imped4now; 06-19-2012 at 06:47 AM.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 68995
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 108
I've got no reason to go away from the stock geometry as it is set up correctly and I don't have bumpsteer. I've got the RK track bar on the front axle which I why I was looking at the RK steering kit. I'm leaning towards Currie now because I know that configuration works on my Jeep without any bumpsteer.
__________________
98 TJ, 35s, locked D30 and 8.8, 4.56s
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Member # 165988
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
I'm leaning towards Currie now because I know that configuration works on my Jeep without any bumpsteer.
And you can keep the stock stuff as a backup.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJake OIIIIIIIO View Post
Ive actually had both setups. Personally i liked the rock krawler setup a lot better. To me it seemed like it was a lot tougher. Also i loked the fact that it doesnt use TREs at the knuckles. I abused my setup pretty badly (lots of droop and bouncing off rocks with it) and it held up very well.

As for the comment above, im pretty sure bump steer is caused my the track bar angle being different from the drag link angle. So yes the drag link geometry does have to do with bump steer and if not setup right any steering setup can get bad bump steer. Personally im not a fan of the stock steering geometry and thats why i went with the RK kit. The best option in my opinion would be to go with a high steer setup and be done with it.
your definition of what causes bump-steer is correct. however. both the rock krawler and currie kits use the same panhard v. Drag link angle so that point is moot. both will have a bit of bumpsteer somewhere in the range of motion because the panhard is slightly longer than the DL. however its doubtful that you get a jeep to travel far enough to see it.

as far as Rod ends over TREs is concerned, Rod ends will wear faster, and you have to take much greater care in using them because of how soft the knuckle material is. the tapered fit of a TRE is a better idea.

the "best" option may be hi-steer, however it requires some kind of hi-steer knuckles, fabricating a new pan-hard with new mounts to go along with it. or your panhard/DL angle will suck. hard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
'you just got wenzeled BITCH'
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Member # 204556
Posts: 210
First, I was not bashing currie at all. I think that they make some of the best products on the market. I was simply sharing my experience woth both kits. If you read correctly i said that you can get bump steer with any steering setup if it is not setup correctly. This means i uderstand that you can have almost zero bump steer with the stock geometry or the geometry that rock krawler uses. The comment about me disliking TREs is my personal opinion bc i did have to replace them with my currie setup and i did have to order them versus being able to walk into an auto parts store and buy them. When i had the rod ends with my RK setup i never had any issues with them. They dont wear out like you would think becuase it is not strictly metal on metal like a generic heim. However, The comment about having to be careful when drilling out the knickles is correct. You have to make sure you do not drill the hole too big or else the bolts that go through the rod ends and into the knuckles will have room to move aroud which will cause wear on the knuckles which will eventually cause you to have very loose steering. (i know because this happened to me). Regardless, my way of thinking says that it is stronger for the draglink to meet the tie rod at the knuckle instead of connecting directly to the tierod. (im no engineer or physics major, so i could very well be wrong)

A comment that i forgot to make earlier as to why i like th RK setup versus currie is because with my currie setup i had to run a steering stabilizer and sometimes i still jad a little bit of wobble in the steering wheel and with the RK setup i never used a steering stabilizer and i never experienced any wobble. Maybe i am one of the only people that had an issue with the currie kit.

Once again im not trying to bash anyone or currie. I think they make amazing products, i am only sharing my personal experience with the two kits.
JeepJake OIIIIIIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
mattyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Member # 89901
Location: Mapleton, UT
Posts: 655
you really need to check out these guys.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/

JMO
__________________
WWW.PROVENMOTO.COM
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 124275
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj View Post
you really need to check out these guys.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/

JMO
Why?
__________________
"Don't fuck with my dog"
-heavytlc
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40238
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Why?
..to see what it was like to have a website built in the 1990s, AND to have a seizure viewing such a site, CLEARLY.


I was linked to that site a while back and I literally started laughing out loud when I witnessed how irritating it is.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/main.html
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 124275
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k3r1 View Post
..to see what it was like to have a website built in the 1990s, AND to have a seizure viewing such a site, CLEARLY.


I was linked to that site a while back and I literally started laughing out loud when I witnessed how irritating it is.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/main.html
No kidding......along with there being absolutely nothing special. There's more to proper steering than rod ends and heavy-wall DOM tubing.
__________________
"Don't fuck with my dog"
-heavytlc
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 1,436
ew.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
'you just got wenzeled BITCH'
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 198573
Location: Norfolk Virginia
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Looking at finally updating the steering to either Currie or the RK X Factor. I've seen both in action and they both hold up to abuse on the trails. I've seen more people with Currie than the RK kit. Any major reason for this?
Because the vendors selling Currie are way more active on the various forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara01 View Post
I've seen more broken / bent Currie than Rock Krawler . Haven't seen any failures with the Rock Krawler system now that I think about it.
A bunch of guys in my Jeep club run the RK set up and have been for years with no issues wheeling at Crozet, Rausch Creek, Harlan, Tinsley, etc.

My dumbass purchased the Currie steering and it bent like a wet noodle the first time I took it out at Rausch Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provelogear View Post
That's probably because there are 100x more Currie kits out there than the RK kits. Get our 4340 heat treated Savvy/Currie Ultimate kit and never worry about bending the tie rod.
Maybe, but what happens when you have heat treater problems? Oh yeah, your rig is grounded and you miss several wheeling trips until you cave in and settle for lesser parts just so you can actually wheel with your friends instead of waiting on perpetual backorder...

It's been almost 4 months since my Savvy control arm Jam nuts rusted on me and I was promissed some new ones, but I still don't have them... yet you promote your Savvy exclusive tie rod that you back ordered to me for months???

Savvy makes some inovative products, but you guys need some serious help in the customer service department.
__________________
When someone tells you that nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God
 
climbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Member # 161770
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 1,436
so how hard did you crash your jeep to bend the currie tie-rod?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
'you just got wenzeled BITCH'
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.