Ford 5 on 5.5 rotor for dual piston caliper? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
Ford 5 on 5.5 rotor for dual piston caliper?

I didn't do enough researching on this axle swap and now I think I'm kinda fucked. Does anyone know if there is a superduty front 60 rotor out there that I can drill to a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern? I turned my unit bearings down for the 5 lug pattern but when I grabbed one of the rotors to drill it out there is not enough material on it to re drill.

I already had 5 on 5.5 in the rear is why I was going to go with that in the front. Even already bought beadlocks in the 5 lug pattern. I totally messed up cause I've been searching online for days now with no luck for a rotor. I wanted to run the dual piston Ford calipers that came on it.

I need one that is 13.3 dia or larger, 3.92 height and 1.5 thick. And the hub I can turn out. Needs to be less the 5'' around 4" would be ideal.

Any help I really appreciate it. Edit: This is for a JKU but wasn't sure to put this thread in here or the ford section.

Last edited by OffTopic; 07-15-2012 at 08:12 AM.
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
schleprock
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member # 88698
Location: Long beach
Posts: 495
I just modified some dodge ram
Rotors for a Rock jock 60. IIRC, the rotor is already 5x5.5, and I machined the center hole out to almost 4.25". Look at 2007 and later Ram 1500 fronts.
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBHSBZ View Post
I just modified some dodge ram
Rotors for a Rock jock 60. IIRC, the rotor is already 5x5.5, and I machined the center hole out to almost 4.25". Look at 2007 and later Ram 1500 fronts.
How thick is the rotor and is it 13" in dia

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member # 157357
Location: 1,250 miles from Moab
Posts: 116
FWIW - I just ordered/received a 'True-1-ton' axle from Rock Solid Performance. They build these from '99-04 HP Fords, using dual caliper brakes and they redrilled mine (from an 8-lug) to 5 on 5-1/2". Super guys to work with (you might check with Robert, he'll have answers!): robert@rocksolidperformance.com
Mo Printer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
^ thanks but I bet you are running spindles. I'm using unit bearings. I will give them a call tomorrow just to see what I can find out. I talked to a few shops but they where all spindle guys.

I did talk to a guy this morning and he said to use a rotor off of a 78-79 ford bronco, they are 5 on 5.5. I would just need to bore out the center some. Also need a chevy caliper off 78-79 3/4 ton. Then fab a bracket for caliper off the ford knuckles. I have no problem getting the bracket made just sourcing the parts I need. I guess is now where I need help.

I have searched and searched pirate for a thread with this issue. Here are two links please someone check these out and tell me if these are the right ones to order to get this done. Like this caliper will fit this rotor or something cause I need some help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L55382M-CHEV...d613a1&vxp=mtr

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1310&ppt=C0062

Edit: I found this pic online somewhere I have no info on it. It was a image search but this is what i have to do I think.



IF someone wants to move this to hardcore I don't mind. I might get more responses

Last edited by OffTopic; 07-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member # 157357
Location: 1,250 miles from Moab
Posts: 116
Nope, I've got (massive!) unit bearings!
Mo Printer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
Oh yeah! that is good to hear I will be calling them today for sure to see what's up. Thank you for your help. This might save me so much time. This swap is taking longer than I expected after this brake issue. I have no ride right now. Mine is my DD.
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Member # 4375
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTopic View Post
^ thanks but I bet you are running spindles. I'm using unit bearings. I will give them a call tomorrow just to see what I can find out. I talked to a few shops but they where all spindle guys.

I did talk to a guy this morning and he said to use a rotor off of a 78-79 ford bronco, they are 5 on 5.5. I would just need to bore out the center some. Also need a chevy caliper off 78-79 3/4 ton. Then fab a bracket for caliper off the ford knuckles. I have no problem getting the bracket made just sourcing the parts I need. I guess is now where I need help.

I have searched and searched pirate for a thread with this issue. Here are two links please someone check these out and tell me if these are the right ones to order to get this done. Like this caliper will fit this rotor or something cause I need some help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L55382M-CHEV...d613a1&vxp=mtr

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1310&ppt=C0062

Edit: I found this pic online somewhere I have no info on it. It was a image search but this is what i have to do I think.



IF someone wants to move this to hardcore I don't mind. I might get more responses
I just finished this kit up for the F-450 knuckle. Ram 1500 13.25" rotor, Dual 54mm piston caliper, rotor bored out to fit the Currie modified unitbearing.

__________________
I am an official member of the "I saw Dave Cole get run over by a rock buggy" club.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
[QUOTE=mrblaine;14581184]I just finished this kit up for the F-450 knuckle. Ram 1500 13.25" rotor, Dual 54mm piston caliper, rotor bored out to fit the Currie modified unitbearing.

Would you mind sharing the part #'s you used if you know them? What years dodge and the caliper part #. And did you buy your bracket or fab yourself? Also if possible could you post a pic from standing behind the caliper. Like a side shot. No big deal if not. I really do appreciate you guys helping me out on this.

I did talk to Robert this morning. They do have a bracket but i need to measure the caliper bracket on the knuckle. He said one is larger than other. My luck the way its been going, when i check it will be the one they don't make.



Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
Little update for future reference. I just talked to Robert again and it seems there bracket will fit. 10" center hole to hole was my stock ford caliper brackets on the knuckle.

I went ahead and ordered the brackets. And by the way Rock Solid Performance is the shit! Thank-you for refering them. Robert was a great guy to deal with customer service there is top notch in my book. And I'm pretty picky. Once they email the part # for the rotor and caliper i will edit this post with them. Thanks again everyone.



Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by OffTopic; 07-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Member # 224345
Posts: 3
run stock 44 units.
afsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Member # 224345
Posts: 3
you can use 78-79 front calipers from F-250
afsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jgarden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 584
Location: So Cal
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTopic View Post
Little update for future reference. I just talked to Robert again and it seems there bracket will fit. 10" center hole to hole was my stock ford caliper brackets on the knuckle.

I went ahead and ordered the brackets. And by the way Rock Solid Performance is the shit! Thank-you for refering them. Robert was a great guy to deal with customer service there is top notch in my book. And I'm pretty picky. Once they email the part # for the rotor and caliper i will edit this post with them. Thanks again everyone.



Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

What size is the rotor used by Rock Solid Perf? What caliper do they use?

Thanks
jgarden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9316
Location: Avon IN
Posts: 215
I used 5 on 5.5 dodge ram rotors. I had Branik open the ID up when they machined my unit bearings. I am going to use the stock SD calipers. You just need longer bolts and a spacer. Everything mocks up good. I haven't stopped with it yet. I pretty much copied the article that was in crawl.
__________________
ROCKHEADS transplant in Indiana
CITY WORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49
The rotor is 13"s in dia.

SE5304A Caliper
SE5303A Caliper

TS7626M Cheap Pads
SS7626M Better Pads

4886830 Rotor edit: this rotor will need to be re drilled to the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern


Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by OffTopic; 07-26-2012 at 05:47 AM.
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9316
Location: Avon IN
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTopic View Post
The rotor is 13"s in dia.

SE5304A Caliper
SE5303A Caliper

TS7626M Cheap Pads
SS7626M Better Pads

4886830 Rotor edit: this rotor will need to be re drilled to the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern


Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
emailed ya some info today.
__________________
ROCKHEADS transplant in Indiana
CITY WORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffTopic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 175071
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 49




Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
OffTopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jgarden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 584
Location: So Cal
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTopic View Post
The rotor is 13"s in dia.

SE5304A Caliper
SE5303A Caliper

TS7626M Cheap Pads
SS7626M Better Pads

4886830 Rotor edit: this rotor will need to be re drilled to the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern


Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
So to sum it all up (hope I have all this correct):

The set up that OFF TOPIC used is different than the one discussed in the Crawl article. This set up, the rotors seem to be from the rear of some GM trucks. The rotor is 13", 8x6.5 bolt pattern (so the bolt pattern has to be redrilled and I am guessing the center bore enlarged).

Crawl article used 2002 Dodge 1500 rotors which are 13.23" and already 5x5.5 (need the center bore enlarged).

Crawl article used the original Ford Superduty front calipers.

The set up used by OFF TOPIC uses calipers from the rear of a 99-05 Superduty.

From what I can find online, the bore sizes of the two calipers are as follows:

Superduty front 2 x 54mm

Superduty rear 2x 44.5mm

Then there is the set up that Blaine has designed. It too uses the larger Dodge rotor and I believe a different caliper than the original front Superduty. Blaine also includes a replacement master cylinder with his set up. I assume to better handle the Dual 54mm piston calipers. I spoke with him and with his matched master cylinder he said his set up works very well.

Last edited by jgarden1; 08-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
jgarden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.