05 TJ stretch and axle upgrade/lift - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 102528
05 TJ stretch and axle upgrade/lift

ok, been reading and need some more info.. I currently have a 05 TJ with an 6" RC long arm kit.. Switching the axles to D60's and wanting to stretch the rear to get to 100"+WB.. plan is for full width and a 37/39" tire..

Biggest issue I have right now is what to do with the rear suspension.. Like to switch to a triangulated setup, change brackets and extend the current arms.. anyone have any info or thoughts on cutting and sleeving the current arm to length?

Hate to scrap them and buy a whole different rear setup.. going to Comp Cut it and either put a small cell behind the rear seat or use a GenRight tank.. Keeping it on coils and shocks, no coilovers in this build..

Any help appreciated, and anything I left out that I need to add just let me know..Heres what Im starting with..

Last edited by House347; 05-17-2017 at 08:42 AM.
House347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Anyone?? opinions?
Old 05-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 197896
My opinion would be that if you are spending the time and money to swap to tons that it's silly to try and re-use a generic long arm kit. Sell the the long arm kit to someone and build a proper 4 link set up. You can always run regular coils and shocks in the interim before you realize you really want coilovers.
giles45shop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 322985
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
My opinion would be that if you are spending the time and money to swap to tons that it's silly to try and re-use a generic long arm kit. Sell the the long arm kit to someone and build a proper 4 link set up. You can always run regular coils and shocks in the interim before you realize you really want coilovers.
I agree 100%. You're putting a lot of work into this....Recoup some of your $$$ by selling your existing lift, instead of trying to cobble something together. I'd suggest a cell behind the seat, and getting that rear pushed as far back as possible. Check out the Motobilt unit. It's better than the RCI tank.
beaureed445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 99624
This is exactly what I am doing. RockKrawler XFactor long arm upgrade on RE 4" coils, 5" stretch, HPD44 front/D60 rear. I am struggling with the rear as well. I will have to cut the rear coil buckets out and relocate them OR... go with coilovers ($$$$). Genright tank will be a necessity as I want to be able to DD this rig and not have to booty fab a subpar RCI tank/cover that has a tendency of snapping the bottom of the sending unit off.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
This is exactly what I am doing. RockKrawler Genright tank will be a necessity as I want to be able to DD this rig and not have to booty fab a subpar RCI tank/cover that has a tendency of snapping the bottom of the sending unit off.
This is where I'm at with the tank as well, drop the $1100 for the GenRight.. Man that is going to hurt the wallet lol
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 99624
You can find it cheaper, but yeah

To retain the stock sending unit integrity and such... it is worth it to not reinvent the wheel...

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
You can find it cheaper, but yeah

To retain the stock sending unit integrity and such... it is worth it to not reinvent the wheel...
I need to do some looking, with it being a 2005 there's a $200 difference in the Alien tank over older TJ's..
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 99624
Contact my buddy at Star City Offroad. He can get some pretty decent prices. (I am not affiliated with him in any way.) No guarantee he can get you set with the best price, but I know he competes pretty damn hard.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by House347 View Post
Anyone?? opinions?
Compcuts are

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 99624
My goal is to get some of those Genrite corner guards for the stretch, then build some 5-6" dom tube fenders off of those.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Compcuts are
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
My goal is to get some of those Genrite corner guards for the stretch, then build some 5-6" dom tube fenders off of those.
I looked at stretching it that way but how much wheel base can you get that way?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 99624
KockKrawler has a 5" stretch and 8" stretch kit for TJs. I thought 8 would be nice but might be to long for what I want to do. Im not into Comp cutting the tub, to preserve *some* "stock" look without chopping the corners off.

With the Genright tank, you can easily run a stretched wheelbase with a 60.

The taller you go, the longer and wider you would want to be for trail performance. I feel like that is overlooked by a bunch of people just starting to get into the offroad lift realm.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
KockKrawler has a 5" stretch and 8" stretch kit for TJs. I thought 8 would be nice but might be to long for what I want to do. Im not into Comp cutting the tub, to preserve *some* "stock" look without chopping the corners off.

With the Genright tank, you can easily run a stretched wheelbase with a 60.

The taller you go, the longer and wider you would want to be for trail performance. I feel like that is overlooked by a bunch of people just starting to get into the offroad lift realm.
So with the Genright stretch corners, you can get to 97" correct? additional 4-5"?
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 99624
98-99" or so. Depends on if you run the front links out a little bit. Also, take into account the extra thickness of the axle, plus you can gain a little with longer brackets.

I would be surprised if you didnt hit the magic 100"

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
98-99" or so. Depends on if you run the front links out a little bit. Also, take into account the extra thickness of the axle, plus you can gain a little with longer brackets.
I would be surprised if you didnt hit the magic 100"
Looking at control arm id like to move the upper back and also lengthen the arms.. Arent the LJ rear arms 10" longer?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 99624
I just got my RockKrawler kit in the shop, so I will start installing this weekend and mocking up.

I think the LJ arms are about 10" longer... but I am not looking to be able to vert walls with the rear of the jeep

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
I just got my RockKrawler kit in the shop, so I will start installing this weekend and mocking up.

I think the LJ arms are about 10" longer... but I am not looking to be able to vert walls with the rear of the jeep
Agreed, not trying to do anything like that lol.. Did you get the 5" RK kit? do you have pics of how its going to look when done, or have you started on it at all?
Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 99624
Right now my jeep can be pictured on my lift, without axles or suspension haha.

I will start it this weekend. There are a few pics of jeeps out there with this setup. It was strongly advised that I do the stretch with the bigger tires as the shorter wheelbase tends to get tippy flippy on off camber climbs

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
Right now my jeep can be pictured on my lift, without axles or suspension haha.

I will start it this weekend. There are a few pics of jeeps out there with this setup. It was strongly advised that I do the stretch with the bigger tires as the shorter wheelbase tends to get tippy flippy on off camber climbs
Been looking at a couple threads, Im leaning towards the 8" rear kit.. I'm planning to leave the front alone for now other than a possible drop to a shorter coil and new shocks..
Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 99624
I believe 8" is going to put you in the realm of fuel cell only. Im trying to avoid that

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 102528
Quote:
I believe 8" is going to put you in the realm of fuel cell only. Im trying to avoid that
Ya I figured it would be close to that.. I think the GenRight site said 7" with a rear 60 was the max. Guess it depends on where the control arm brackets end up.. Sounds like a 5" kit is the way to go..
Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 56430
I'm at 100.5 inch wheelbase.

To get there, we used complete custom fabrication links (based upon an S&N car) done in Bremerton WA at Those Guys Rods & Customs.

Utilized D60s front and rear.

Started with a GenRight extended wheelbase fuel tank, in the traditional location. Don't exactly remember the capacity, but it's around 19 gallons. Because the D60 is so much larger, you cannot get the full 'stretch' that GenRight advertised, but it's still around 6 or 7 inches.

Then added the GenRight armor. That was probably a mistake, as it ended up being cut, and re-cut, and re-cut again. The rears are enlarged as much as possible, without resorting to a comp cut. The fender flairs are custom.

The front was also moved forward an inch or so. The limiting factor was the stock steering box location, and clearancing the tie rod and drag link. I'm high steer on the drag link, but standard low steer on the tie rod. Probably could have done high steer on both, but,... now that I have hydro assist, it's just not worth retrofitting.

The front fenders are GenRight 'DeFender' series. In hindsight, I'd have gone to the raised front fenders, and trimmed the hood up.

trying to post pic, but having issues, will try and link it
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 56430
NW-Wheelers Forums

NW-Wheelers Forums

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/att...1&d=1335065517

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/att...1&d=1335065541

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/att...1&d=1335065568

Not sure if you anyone can see these pics, as they're hosted on another forum (don't know if you have to be a member to see them), but, someone can pipe up.

Also, the TJ is on 40s in those pics. Might be able to clear bigger (pretty sure 42s will fit, maybe 44s but with massive rubbing, and, maybe need wheel spacers)
Jeep was originally built for 37s, and I just bought replacement 37s to go back on. Still on the 40s for now.

Last edited by Treeclimber; 05-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.