CabinJeep7: Pile of Garbage 1980 CJ7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 186755
CabinJeep7: Pile of Garbage 1980 CJ7

Bought home another jeep this weekend. It was used on a ranch since '98 and sitting on a friend of a friend's property for the last 2ish years. I was called because I "like jeeps" and ended up buying it. Plan is to clean it up a little, pass CA emissions, and keep it up at my girlfriend's cabin to play around with while we're up there.

It seems to be mostly stock, some "repairs" here and there, but mostly intact. Important part for me is it looks like most of the emissions parts are there.

This is really a learning experience for me, as I've never personally as anything I've had with a carb has been smog exempt. Hoping to use this thread for some knowledge I can't find through google searches.

Specs:
1980 CJ7, 258, SR4, D300
Ramsey winch

Here are some pics:

Vac Diagram matches this one:

I gave its first pressure washing and took off every vacuum hose I could find. Going to start fresh with new hose and the vac diagram on the grill cowl. So far its been going pretty well. Have a few questions though:

Anyone had trouble sourcing the right ported vacuum switches? I need the SPARK CTO one, as the one I have is broken. I bought a Yellow one from Napa, but it did not want to thread in. Maybe I specifially need one with a smaller nub on the coolant side? Trusted counter guy and I couldn't find a match in his book but I ordered a black one just to try it.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 186755
Next, the vac diagram shows the EGR temp vacuum switch on the air cleaner housing next to the PCV vent and a line to the TAC SIGNAL. My air cleaner housing has 2 vacuum switches on the side, one on the bottom, the PCV breather, and 2 vacuum pods on the front for valves. From what I've read the bottom vacuum switch is for the TAC and that is the front-most vacuum pod on the air horn. The vacuum switch closest to the PCV breather should be the EGR switch like shown in the vac diagram. But what is the second vac switch for and what powers the vacuum pod closer to the air filter itself? Are they supposed to be connected?

Here are some pages I found that lead me to believe the bottom switch is for the TAC which is the front pod, but they do not cover the 2nd side vacuum switch mine has?

Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 186755
Quote:
Anyone had trouble sourcing the right ported vacuum switches? I need the SPARK CTO one, as the one I have is broken. I bought a Yellow one from Napa, but it did not want to thread in. Maybe I specifially need one with a smaller nub on the coolant side? Trusted counter guy and I couldn't find a match in his book but I ordered a black one just to try it.
Turns out there was a bunch of buildup behind where the switch goes. I used a 9/16 bolt through the hole in the block where the switch goes and cleared a path. Went for the yellow switch instead of the black one. Yellow was 170* rated, the broken one said 150*, and the black one was over 200*.

Need to buy some more vacuum line. Its taken over 25ft already, but I just need the last few to hopefully have the vacuum advance hooked up so I can take this thing on a (hopefully better) joyride.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
If their is that much crap in the intake, you may want to seafoam it. Try all the classic backyard fixes. Like Fred, the radiator and pepper.

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 05-19-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 186755
This was in the side of the block. I did what I could with a screwdriver to break it all free and flush it out, but I'm sure there is crap in there.

Gunk on the right kept the dongle from fitting.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
I'd do a coolant flush. Yikes.

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.