2.5L to 4.0 Engine Swap Nightmare - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53857
Exclamation 2.5L to 4.0 Engine Swap Nightmare

I am the proud ownder of a 1997 O||||O Wrangler SE (2.5L & Automatic). Recently I purchased a 4.0 I-6 engine and manual transmission that came off a 2000 Jeep Sahara. My mechanic was able to drop the engine and transmission into my TJ recently, but approached me with a few problems. I didn't get the (don't know if this is correctly stated) clutch pedal assembly or clutch linkages from the donor vehicle nor did I get the dashboard harness from the donor vehicle? Why can't I use my existing dash wiring?

If I only received the clutch from the donor vehicle, what parts do I need? (what are they called - or - is there a kit I can buy) I've tried calling local dealers here, but the parts guys are MORONS and really haven't been helpful @ all! Any information on the dash harness and clutch would really lower my blood pressure and keep me out of jail, cause I am about ready to kill my MECHANIC!!!!

By the way - the donor vehicle is now down to the frame only - Fellow jeepers have taken all the parts!
smackTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 30627
when i did my 2.5->4.0 i used all the wiring from the donor. the problem is there might be slight differences between the years so to keep it consistent I'd use wiring all the wiring from a 4.0 jeep.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 42521
Send a message via AIM to nhgpnut Send a message via Yahoo to nhgpnut
well it stands to reason that a switch from auto to a stick you would need a cluth pedal and linkage.find another doner vehicle a get the whole assembley.this includes the brake pedal.different sizes to work w/the stick.the dash harness you need is the one for your gauges to work off the 4.0.i hope you got the computer w/the engine.good luck
nhgpnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackTJ
Any information on the dash harness and clutch would really lower my blood pressure and keep me out of jail, cause I am about ready to kill my MECHANIC!!!!

By the way - the donor vehicle is now down to the frame only - Fellow jeepers have taken all the parts!
This is why I got out of wrenching on other people shit for a living. The problem is not your mechanic. Its dumbasses like you that do absolutely no research, dont give us the correct parts and expect us to wave a magic fawking wand when it doesnt work the 1st try. You shouldnt have parted out the donor vehicle until your swap was finished and running because everything you need to finish the swap could have been taken from that donor

you need the clutch pedal assy off the donor. this should be a no-brainer but judging by your post its actually rocket science

There is no clutch linkage on a TJ. Its hydraulic and its a closed system. You get the master cylinder/line/slave cylinder in one peice already assembled and bled. Any parts guy can get this for you

you definetlu need the dash harness and probably the guage cluster off the donor vehicle. Of course a 97 2.5/auto is going to have different wiring than a 2000 4.0/stick
Old 09-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3645
IndyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42619
Send a message via AIM to ne14jpn
indy you LOVE that horse
Miller Motorsports #4421
www.millerrockracing.com
ne14jpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9274
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCJ

LOL, yup its been done. matter of fact we do it at least once a month at our shop...

now if you want a challenge wire in a supercharged buick v-6 into a TJ with a 4l60e....
Old 09-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53857
Thanks for the tips.....l did get the computer off the 4.0, and currently made some progress- found clutch swing pedal assembly master cylinder from a salvaged TJ. I had no clue that the manual TJ''s were all hydraulic and no linkage - thank you former mechanic. Just need the dash harness for now. Anybody know where I might find the dash harness ? (other than e-bay)
Old 09-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53875
Get rid of the (jeep) slave cylinder its crap. The slave pushes against a fork that puts a side load on the cylinder causing the seals to fail. Adapt something heavier with some adjustment, its not fun starting in gear and driving home without stopping!
max adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
#1 BURRITO IN NM!!!!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14jpn
indy you LOVE that horse
my horse is better.

or is that beater?

hmm

sceep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 53857
Quote:
Originally Posted by max adams
Get rid of the (jeep) slave cylinder its crap. The slave pushes against a fork that puts a side load on the cylinder causing the seals to fail. Adapt something heavier with some adjustment, its not fun starting in gear and driving home without stopping!

What the hell do you mean its not fun driving home w/o stopping?
Elaborate a bit on what you experienced with the clutch cylinder?
Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 57169
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris demartini
This is why I got out of wrenching on other people shit for a living. The problem is not your mechanic. Its dumbasses like you that do absolutely no research, dont give us the correct parts and expect us to wave a magic fawking wand when it doesnt work the 1st try. You shouldnt have parted out the donor vehicle until your swap was finished and running because everything you need to finish the swap could have been taken from that donor
This is the best gawd damn answer I think I have ever read on a forum!! Being a mechanic (even after all of this kind of shit listed above), I can damn sure agree with ya here. This kind of crap happens EVERY day at work.

I actually had a guy bring in spring spacers and handed them to me and said put them on his BMW wagon to support his saggin' ass springs out back. He asked that I install them as high up as possible on the coils. I did what he asked. I installed them as high as I could get them. The BMW rear struts run up into a sort of "tunnel" in the unibody and prevents the installation of the spacers into the very tops of the coils. So I installed them as high as I could, then used a hammer to move them up even more (using the coils like a screw thread) until they wouldn't go any farther up.

He came in two days later and wanted me to remove them and re-install them at the base of the rear strut coil spring. He had decided the spacers were installed in the wrong spot and would contact the strut cartridge body. He wanted me to do it all again. . . . for free. I said no and explained to him why they wouldnt go any higher. He said. . . "Yeah, I noticed that too when I looked and tried to install them myself, but I thought you guys would have some kind of "magic tool" to install them up high".
I told him we do. . . . its called removing the strut from the car, and then installing the spacers. Of course, he didnt wanna pay for that so he left pissed off.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 112

[COLOR=Lime] Stiffy®? why screw around with anything less? [/COLOR]

Charter member PBB mod divorce club for men.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 105631
hey how much does the swapp cost??i have 2.5 auto and wanna swapp to 4.0 auto
dustin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 97164
Dustin I don't know if I would want to know what the threadstarter will pay.
Chris90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackTJ View Post
I am the proud ownder of a 1997 O||||O Wrangler SE (2.5L & Automatic). Recently I purchased a 4.0 I-6 engine and manual transmission that came off a 2000 Jeep Sahara. My mechanic was able to drop the engine and transmission into my TJ recently, but approached me with a few problems. I didn't get the (don't know if this is correctly stated) clutch pedal assembly or clutch linkages from the donor vehicle nor did I get the dashboard harness from the donor vehicle? Why can't I use my existing dash wiring?

If I only received the clutch from the donor vehicle, what parts do I need? (what are they called - or - is there a kit I can buy) I've tried calling local dealers here, but the parts guys are MORONS and really haven't been helpful @ all! Any information on the dash harness and clutch would really lower my blood pressure and keep me out of jail, cause I am about ready to kill my MECHANIC!!!!

This is the reason i feel bad for mechanics. I doubt the parts guys are morons, it sounds to me like u have unrealistic expectations of them. Like knowing off the top of their heads what parts u need for a 2.5L to 4.0 Swap. You didn't do your research if anything.

Apperently your question has been answered, and i may get some shit for this but u might consider checking out www.jeepsunlimited.com, sounds like u should be sticking to bolt-on stuff since u can't research things, let alone buy a red star so you can do it correctly, and yet still not do for the most part one of the more simpler engine swaps that can be done in a jeep.

Good luck

Last edited by The Black Sheep; 01-02-2008 at 04:43 AM.
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote