model 20 diff - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 52798
model 20 diff

I don"t no anthing about this biff. i have a 80 cj5 300 transv. case with i think a t176 but not sure just set up a small block chevy for it it had a 4 cyl. whith chevy bellhousing and the front has a model 30 diff. i never ben around a jeep this new i wanted to no if the 20 was strong and good anuff to put a locker in and change the gears or should i find a 44? any help with this jeep would be nice thank you.
pj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40958
The problem with the AMC 20 isn't the differential, it's the axles and hubs. They're in two pieces and the hubs like to come loose and spin on the axle shafts and then you have to spend money to get them fixed. You can either go with a stronger unit, (Dana 44 is good if you run 35 inch tires or less) or replace the shafts and hubs with one piece units. I'm just guessing, but I think getting a used Dana 44 will probably be just a little less expensive than the strong one piece axles since you might be able to find the Dana 44 used, off of an older than 1976 CJ5.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 52798
model 20

well i have a set of 44s front and rear out of a schout but there at my brothers in tx. im in ca. but if i can find out some info on moving the spring hangers out side the frame i will have them shipped out here. thanks for the info.i would like to put the 44s under it and get a little wider.
pj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 52752
fuckin tuesday
bowtied_micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Send a message via AIM to XJ_ranger
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj66
I don"t no anthing about this biff. i have a 80 cj5 300 transv. case with i think a t176 but not sure just set up a small block chevy for it it had a 4 cyl. whith chevy bellhousing and the front has a model 30 diff. i never ben around a jeep this new i wanted to no if the 20 was strong and good anuff to put a locker in and change the gears or should i find a 44? any help with this jeep would be nice thank you.
Quote:
well i have a set of 44s front and rear out of a schout but there at my brothers in tx. im in ca. but if i can find out some info on moving the spring hangers out side the frame i will have them shipped out here. thanks for the info.i would like to put the 44s under it and get a little wider.
a class in spelling

know, enough, and Scout...

and the model 20 rear end has the weaker 2 piece axle shafts - many vendors make stronger 1 piece shafts.

What tire size are you looking to run and over what terrain?

JV Rally Post #175 Tellico Rally post #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp87 View Post
I think our friend GreatWhiteXJ is forgetting a zero in his pulled-from-rectume tolerance. That's the only way it could possibly make sense. If that's the case, a refresher of 4th grade math is in order.

Last edited by XJ_ranger; 10-10-2005 at 10:26 PM.
XJ_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 18977
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Please get the fuck out until you can at least spell four letter words. I am suprised you use periods.

Get one piece shafts, and buy a truss for it and wheel it. If you can't spell, it is way beyond your grasp to complete an axle swap - even a rear one.

It's a respect issue. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could?
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 31695
I have one I will sell you for $1000 and will hold up to V8 pwr.

bolt right in for SOA, ARB locker, 4.10s, Moser one piece axles, tubes have been sleeved with 1/8 wall tube and plug welded, traction bar mount, Blue Torch 3/8" thick diff cover.

The ultimate polished turd!

seriously, they are not that bad if you do something about the tubes and go to one piece axles. The only other bummer is the axle bearing is a little turd as well... and even worse when you go w/ the one piece axles.
dozer dude is offline   Reply With Quote