2 Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 48233
2 Questions

I don't have the jeep repair manual, but to replace to rear main seal on a 1990 YJ with the 258. One needs to remove tranny and clutch and what else???

Second does the 1990 YJ with ax-15 have a slave cylinder. I know that seems like a dumb question cuz there is the DOT 3 fluid resovoir so obviously it is a hydraulic clutch. My question is, is the a slave cylinder???? I don't see a slave cyclinder listed in my parts magazine. I have my new clutch kit and don't want to put everything back on without replace the slave cylinder. If there is a slave cylinder where is it????
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
follow the line from your reservoir

It might be internal? A SC isn't exactly a wear item though, if it don't leak really no need to replace it..

Last edited by Brandon; 10-11-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Well I followed the fluid lines and they only lead to the clutch release bearing. And this is why I'm thinking I don't have an SC. I"m not really as dumb as I'm sounding. I've just never done this before, I don't have a teardown manual, and I want to cover my basis.
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19251
not sure about the 258 but the 4.0 you DON'T need to pull the transmission/xfer case. As far as a rear main seal is concerned is a I-6 an I-6?

I'm assuming a 2 piece seal. If so try droping the oil pan and taking a look. Pull one cap and you should have access (4.0) anyway.
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25028
Quote:
Originally Posted by microtus
not sure about the 258 but the 4.0 you DON'T need to pull the transmission/xfer case. As far as a rear main seal is concerned is a I-6 an I-6?

I'm assuming a 2 piece seal. If so try droping the oil pan and taking a look. Pull one cap and you should have access (4.0) anyway.
That is correct for the 4.0. I am also not sure on the 258, but on the 4.0 the crankshaft is often grooved at the rear main seal, and just replacing the seal will not totally fix an oil leak. It will probably slow it down though.
Flashover Mfg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 54168
Send a message via AIM to mudeejeep
the ax-15 has an external sc and can be replaced after everything is put back together........unless its broke don't fix it
mudeejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2331
The slave cylinder on my '91 is internal...
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 30590
You don't have to remove the trans just the oil pan and the last bearing cap.
http://www.neow.org/rms1.html
It an article for a CJ but its the same motor

Last edited by 73jeep; 10-11-2005 at 08:40 PM.
73jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5861
If everything is apart right now, go to a junkyard or jeep used parts place (i.e. JWjeeeps0< and buy a 94 and up Ax-15 bellhousing with the external slave cylinder (normally 94 and up Yj's and possibly XJ and TJ's with teh AX15).

I had the internal slave cylinder (I think it is also called throwout bearing) - looks like a cup and acoredon that mounts on the tranny input shaft on the front. It has two lines running to it. That is your slave or throwout bearing, I believe the same thing.

Then from the same junkyard or jeep used parts place, get the hos eand external slave. You can use a clutch kit from a 94 Yj, and be good to go.

I highly recommend doing this at this time to avoid having to tear stuff down again next time the POS internal slave fails again (and it very likely will). Then it becomes a 15 minute job

clucth kit - about $120 includes disk, plate, pilot bearing

used bellhousing and external slave and hose - about $70

not having to deal again in a long time tearing the tranny down PRICELESS

BTW, the pilot bearing may be slightly different on the kit you get (the 4.2, 91 flywheels and 94 flywheels are different, and have difefrent internal and external diameters), so make sure you use the correct one, if the one in the kit does not work for ya. And do not be lazy and repalce it at the same time. Unless your flywheel is too fubar, DO NOT resurface it.

More info on the pilot bearing issue here for future searches :

/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/267393-not-all-ax15s-created-alike-please-read-suggestions.html

Good luck!
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.