Q on taking a Rubicon on the Rubicon (stock) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
Q on taking a Rubicon on the Rubicon (stock)

Pops is thinking of picking one up, they seem to be pretty set but we'd like to cruise into Buck when he gets it.

thoughts?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 792
new or used?

It will need upgrades to get to buck.

It will get banged up.

will this be his daily driver?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6
we won't be in a race, what kind of upgrades?

New

I figure it will be better off than my truck was when I used to take it in on 31's, course the trail is a bit different too..

Last edited by Brandon; 10-12-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Member # 21948
Depends on how well he can drive. I dont see a problem taking it to buck as long as you have another rig for a little tug in some spots.

Dane

SEE WHAT THE HYPE IS ALL ABOUT:
http://www.facebook.com/hooliganrockcrew

I WILL TRY BEING NICER IF YOU TRY BEING SMARTER.

FU JS FU KS FU RTF FU FOTR FU DA FU RMK
dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
Depends on how well he can drive. I dont see a problem taking it to buck as long as you have another rig for a little tug in some spots.

Dane

Me and him both have been wheeling the rubicon for a long time, but never in anything new. We'd be going in just the one rig, not usually a good idea I know but we'd baby it (do they come with a winch?)
Old 10-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
They dont come stock with a winch, never been to buck but I'd atleast have a 2nd vehicle with ya guys. Gotta be great wheeling with your dad

-Joe
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8277
Send a message via MSN to troyman Send a message via Yahoo to troyman
Hey Brandon, I think they've got an option directly through Jeep where you can pick up a 8000 or 9500 series Warn winch as a dealer option. It'd probably make it fine, but I wouldn't trust those stock rocker guards and maybe pull the front swaybar links when you get up there. Don't forget to bring along your new set of Torx bits
Old 10-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 62
I would definatly put some better rocker protection on it I don't think the factory pieces are up to much abuse. A small lift wouldnt hurt either, the factory tranny crossmember hangs down like a set of 80 year old tits
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16548
you'll be fine, I've seen lesser vehicles make it with shitty drivers. Use your head and you'll be fine. That jeep will walk the 'Con. Especially now in the season, the last time I was there this year it was like a freeway through there. My pops is doing the same thing right now, he wants a new built heep and he can afford it, I told him why not. Those that talk shit about the Rubicons are just haters anyway. I'd wheel the shit out of one if I could afford it.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Send a message via AIM to XJ_ranger
Talking

throw a winch on the front and have fun...

there are enough tree's and people that run through there - there wont be that many issues...

the gastank and steering box are low hanging equipment - but take it slow and have a good time with dad...

JV Rally Post #175 Tellico Rally post #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp87 View Post
I think our friend GreatWhiteXJ is forgetting a zero in his pulled-from-rectume tolerance. That's the only way it could possibly make sense. If that's the case, a refresher of 4th grade math is in order.
XJ_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15811
I wheeled with a stock TJ, not a rubicon, about two years ago. He was part of a small group of Toyota guys running the con. This rig had a rack on the top, the back, and nothing other than a slightly larger set of tires done to his rig. Wheeled the entire con with only a small ding in a rear quarter panel. This was a stupid ding too. If you take the turn-outs and give yourself plenty of time, you can do it quite easlily. Just don't get too pissed at the guys behind you and make sure you let the faster guys pass when possible. There were a number of stock CJs, even one with a trailer there. They did not have any damage. It is more driving style and turn-outs than anything else IMO.
[COLOR="Silver"]♣[/COLOR][B][COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Arial Black"][B]Bink'sFab[/B][/FONT][/B][/color][COLOR="Silver"]rication[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]♣[/COLOR] - [URL="http://facebook.com/binksfab"]facebook.com/binksfab[/URL]
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 50639
Should be able to do it with little trouble. If you can get the Rubi early enough there might be a few inexpensive upgrades to look into first.

-Dealer should have a winch option...
-Rubis come with an SYE from factory - might want to look into a flat or belly up skid. Should tuck everything up nicer.
-steering box skid would be cheap insurance
-Tail gate reinforcement kit or heavy swing out carrier... Just in case pops comes off of a bad slope and the spare grabs the dirt - I have seen tail gates wasted this way... Not cool.

Just my .02 - A lift or BB with 33s would be cool also. If he is going to wheel it stock height skid plates all around would be a great investment as stock plates don't take abuse very well.
Rattlecan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 33520
My buddy's dad drove his stock Rubi in our group when we did the Rubicon in July '04. IIRC the only trouble he had was the gate keeper at Loon Lake. Everything else he walked or bypassed. He did have a 1" spacer lift though to make up for being loaded.
easyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyover
My buddy's dad drove his stock Rubi in our group when we did the Rubicon in July '04. IIRC the only trouble he had was the gate keeper at Loon Lake. Everything else he walked or bypassed. He did have a 1" spacer lift though to make up for being loaded.

Good to know, I doubt pops will do anything to the jeep - it's really a driver more than a wheeler. I actually look forward to driving something where you actually have to look where you are driving

Here's pops some 30 years ago

Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 940
I would look at some coil spacers say 1" or 2". They are dam low to the ground but other than that they have the lockers and T-case to make it all doable. I know they come with some rocker guards but like stated that might be something to look at upgrading before so that it stay's looking good.
www.KICKASSOFFROAD.COM
916-434-6978
Custom Sway Bars and Axles built to order.

Got 40 spline? I have the hubs, spindles, and axles you need to kickass!
Custom Hummer wheels and centers
Axle Resplining
66CJdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66CJdean
I would look at some coil spacers say 1" or 2". They are dam low to the ground but other than that they have the lockers and T-case to make it all doable. I know they come with some rocker guards but like stated that might be something to look at upgrading before so that it stay's looking good.

Are they taller than say a sport edition or whatever? I believe they come with taller tires (still only 31's or so).

It's looking like it's going to a spring trip rather than a fall trip now.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8277
Send a message via MSN to troyman Send a message via Yahoo to troyman
They're the same suspension as a Sport, but they added 31" MT/R's. They'll work fine, but like said above a 1" spacer on top of the coils would help a bit and you can put those on in an afternoon without changing anything else.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
B- when you thinking of going? We're heading up next weekend 10/22 & 23. You and your pops are welcome to join us

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 112
As I think most stated a very mild lift, and some body protection and it's better than the stuff we ran in the early 90's

Matt did fordyce/sierra trek with 31's and a 1" spacer lift on his then spanking new '97 tj sport. No body damage no going slow, no probs.

[COLOR=Lime] Stiffy®? why screw around with anything less? [/COLOR]

Charter member PBB mod divorce club for men.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N
As I think most stated a very mild lift, and some body protection and it's better than the stuff we ran in the early 90's

Matt did fordyce/sierra trek with 31's and a 1" spacer lift on his then spanking new '97 tj sport. No body damage no going slow, no probs.
I haven't seen how stout the stock protection is but it does have it.

Mark, it will be next spring - Pops hasn't even bought it yet but I figured I'd post up and maybe find someone that has a stocker rubicon for some insight. I think we will be fine and when the time comes I'll try to find some others to go with for an easy paced trip to buck or maybe all the way through.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 50156
Brandon, I would talk him into doing at least a Rubicon Budget Boost. That will buy you an additional 2 inches of lift. Effectively, with the Rubicon coil springs providing about 1 inch more lift than all of the other TJ models, he will get let's say 2.5 to maybe 3 inches of lift out of it. If he really doesnt plan on lifting it with a 3.5 suspension lift, then this will be a low cost way for him to get more clearance, yet be just fine for a daily driver (NancyBoy, bolt on, mall crawler, barbie doll in the hardcore forum....LOL! I love my barbie, baby!) Also, I dont like the 16 inch Moab rims, so you might consider trying to convince him to sell those new and put some 15 X 8 rims on with let's say 4.5 backspacing, and run 32 X 11.5 Mud Terrain's). Setup like that, it is low cost, and at least the jeep sits more like a jeep should sit (short of going higher of coarse), and he will have better capability. If he wants a hardtop and hard doors, cut that deal at the time of purchase, and also get the soft top, otherwise it is alot more money after the fact. My jeep is my toy so I have a soft top, and the lower doors of which I like for what I do with my jeep. Mine isnt a daily driver, but is basically street friendly, and fairly capable off road as it is currently setup.
AggieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
, what kind of upgrades?

hey Brandon,

I didn't bother to read what everyone else said. here's my thoughts on some minor upgrades.

- tires/wheels. sell the rubicon alloys and 16 inch tires, and get 32x11.50s-15s. on 15x8. 4 or 4.5" backspace

- spacer lift. I don't know how much you can get away with before you need to mess with trackbar relocation, but an inch or two to clear the 32s will help. some minor trimming inside the front fender might be needed even with a spacer lift.

- body lift / motor mount lift. 1 or 1.25"

- different t-case skid. I don't know which one, but the 03 and later skids hang really low.

- better rocker skids.

- better rear bumper with a 2" reciever as a recovery point

- trim the stock bumper, or get a narrower front bumper. (aka a hanson sierra shorty)

- swaybar disco's.

- tie rod. I'm assuming the rubi didn't change this. the stock one is a POS. a factory v8 ZJ tie rod is a cheap alternative from a junk yard and alot beefier

- Lower control arm skids are needed, but I don't know what works with the stock control arms.

- probably an oil pan skid
- probably a steering box skid
- maybe a gas tank skid. My 2001 "new and improved" skid was still lame.
- replace the stock tow hooks (sell them on eBay) for standard heavy duty 10K tow hooks.
- add a rear frame mounted tow hook (on the driver side)
- velcro "oh-shit" handles
- tie in the rear hoops of the cage with a rockhard bolt-on rear spreader, especially if you have passengers. its like $110

If he's getting new, here's my thoughts on what factory options...

I'd get the auto. with the 4:1 t-case it will be plenty slow. I've always been a "manual tranny guy" but I'd go with the new auto.

get a hard top with the deep tinted windows and full doors. skip the soft top,
get a besttop safari top, and best top two peice full soft doors.

so new eh?

I'd buy an already built up used TJ, and a two year old honda accord, probably for less money
Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 48401
I took a near stock 2003 rubicon through with only warn rocker protection added and a warn 9.5ti which we never used, no problems, stock skids got worked a lil bit but no prob. I stock rubi will cruise through with proper driving i done it! We have also taken a 2001 stock tj open front and rear with rocker protection and stock skids and only had to tug twice! Its all about the driving not how high your lifted.
CherokeeTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 22563
This is my Rubicon 3 weeks after I bought it. I ran a trail up off of HWY 88 called Pardoe trail (Squaw ridge). This trail is no Rubicon but it was fun to see what it could do. These things wheel great out of the box and only lacks clearance and body protection which most 4x4 do. I have seen a group stock Rubicon on the Con with people who have never drove the Con before. These people have little or no experiance off road. You can wheel it as is but expect some scrapes, scratches and possible some dents in the body or the stock skids. I am in the process of building (bolting on) mine now. Atlease get some disco's to allow the front to articulate better. In the pic you can see the sway bar really limits the front axle travel. Here is what my Rubi is going to have on it before it see's the Con

RE SA 4.5 SF kit w/ 3.5 coils and CV D-shaft, 33x12.50x15 MT's on 15x8 wheels, JKS 1.25 BL, MORE 1in MML, Medic HC transfer case and engine skid, Rockcrusher Diff covers, home made frame mounted rock sliders, upgraded steering componets, and better front and rear bumpers.

You can also get alot of info here.

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb2/index.php
Attached Images

[URL="http://www.fullsize4wd.com"]http://www.fullsize4wd.com[/URL]

Last edited by WHEEL N TOY; 10-14-2005 at 08:00 PM.
WHEEL N TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 15424
You dont need to do anything with the rig, but your plan of flying solo is definitely a bad idea. Just take some other rigs and it will be fine.