eye to eye measurements for YY leafs? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 36676
eye to eye measurements for YJ leafs?

Anyone got the eye to eye measurements for the front and back leafs by any chance?

Even better if you know what the same measurement is for the 2 1/2T front leafs are (that are usually used with Rockwells, hint hint)

Thinking of a new project, but I can't get leaf measurements off my TJ!

Thanks.
-BN

Last edited by Bnovak; 10-12-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Bnovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5861
I was going to reply, but since it is posted and can be searched, it will help you try the search function before posting. Not flaming you, but for your own good.

I may have the info on my sig...

Gui
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2005, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15811
Old info, but this may help:http://www.4x4spot.com/spring_swap_info.htm
[COLOR="Silver"]♣[/COLOR][B][COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Arial Black"][B]Bink'sFab[/B][/FONT][/B][/color][COLOR="Silver"]rication[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]♣[/COLOR] - [URL="http://facebook.com/binksfab"]facebook.com/binksfab[/URL]
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 53037
Wait a sec, did TJ's ever have leafs?? if not that would in fact make it hard to measure
Paramount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramount
Wait a sec, did TJ's ever have leafs?? if not that would in fact make it hard to measure

No flaming, but read three times his first post so you understand what is being asked.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramount

wow - yer fawkin' smart aren't ya.

I'm thinking about buying my neighbors YJ from him. The reason I asked about the eye to eye measurement is that I'm trying to figure out how far I'm going to need to move the shackle mounts to fit leafs from a deuce to keep a pair of rockwells under control. I was going to do rockies on a TJ, but I think I can get almost as much flex out of a leaf suspension. Saves the hassle of building links for coils.

The goal is to run as little lift as possible (I know, I need some to clear the 3rd member on the rockwells) and then just trim the body as needed. Goal is to roll 44's or maybe 46's. I'll probably have to bob or comp cut the rear end which isn't a big deal. The puny little 4 cylinder that's going to get stuck up in front of these axles is going to have a heart attack though (more on that to come.)

Thanks fawkers - I'll use the search, I promise.

-BN
Old 10-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5861
hehe , no worries, and keep the build up coming. There are a couple rigs running leafs with Rockies under. ALso chekc out the JP Mag hotdog projct for some ideas n the rockwell and leaf setup, Cappa and whoever worked with him did a good job and the install looks pretty clean. I think his rig was on TTC this year, so do a search fro top truck challenge, maybe here or Google or check the JP site for some close up shots of the build for some ideas.

Gui
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 36676
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard
hehe , no worries, and keep the build up coming. There are a couple rigs running leafs with Rockies under. ALso chekc out the JP Mag hotdog projct for some ideas n the rockwell and leaf setup, Cappa and whoever worked with him did a good job and the install looks pretty clean. I think his rig was on TTC this year, so do a search fro top truck challenge, maybe here or Google or check the JP site for some close up shots of the build for some ideas.

Gui
Cappa's truck was where I got the idea from. Problem is, it's too damn long for my garage, and my neighbor is practically giving me his YJ ($2K with like 60K miles on it or something but it's a 4 cylinder) or I would have done a J truck.

moving these things around is going to be a byatch though....and I'm going to HAVE to cut the windshield and cage off (oh darn, have to do a custom cage.)

searching I go....
Old 10-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5861
Nice, BTW cappa is on the board as well, so you could probably hit him up with some questions. I did the u-bolt to leaf mount on the rockwells, look pretty clean and easy.

Honestly, with rockwells I do not think you will need way tooo much flex, those are heavy as heck. I think the XJ springs would possibly not survive for long on them, maybe F150 thicker springs could be a good choice, or J truck springs.

http://jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0406_dog/
Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 36676
I was originally thinking (yeah, in a bout of stupidity) of running the leafs from the deuce! That's why I was wondering on the leaf measurements for the YJ as I wanted to see how close they would have been to "bolting on." Yer right though, It's not going to need much flex - and I'm aiming for low COG and low lift anyway, so stiff works for me.

I think the F150 (maybe F250?) leafs are going to be the way to go though in the long run. There's plenty of them in the junkyard so it's easy to come by.

I do like those U-bolt mounts - did you guys find that it was more rigid using that setup rather than a clamp on the bottom of the axle, or was it more for clearance? Is that just 1.5" DOM tubing or something? (the size wasn't in the article.)

The other thing that concerns me is the 3rd member height & impacting the radiator. that's going to be tricky to figure out.