I need help finding the year of my Dana 30 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53766
I need help finding the year of my Dana 30

I have two Dana 30 axles, one is a 94 YJ axle, and one is a unknown year but from a YJ. I need help finding out the year of the axle. They both look identical, and both are reverse cut and high pinion. I got some of the numbers off the axle and I will underline the numbers im not sure about, but looked close to that number. OK on the axle tube it says 42283 and under it says 21 02 X. On the pumkin it says 283. Please help me figure out what year it is, or any ways to find out. Thanks.
Brandon H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 62
why do you need to figure it out? The only difference is some have ABS some don't and some of the last production year had the bigger U-joints. These are things you can inspect visually, no need for date of production.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48153
Send a message via Yahoo to yj-mule
You can try the Dana Expert website. They database their axle BOM numbers.

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx?prod=AXL

I suspect the 42283 number is not the BOM number, but rather the tube part number. I say this because
the pumpkin number is similar.

On the longest axle tube look for the date code, the BOM number is to the left of it, directly, about 2 to 3" away.
On a Dana that I have there is something welded right over the BOM #, so I am shyt outa luck.

Last edited by yj-mule; 10-13-2005 at 03:16 PM.
yj-mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 53766
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE-RokToy
why do you need to figure it out? The only difference is some have ABS some don't and some of the last production year had the bigger U-joints. These are things you can inspect visually, no need for date of production.
The reason I wanted to know is because in using it as my axle for my SAS in my S-10 Blazer. The axle doesn't have a tie rod, draglink, brake calipers, or rotors. I was wondering if I could switch them over from the 94 YJ axle to the unknown year YJ axles because the 94 YJ one is being a bitch and is not as good condition as the other.I have heard that some parts won't fit, and just wanted to know that way when I order parts I will get ones that do fit. I need to order a pinion seal, bearings, brake pads, brake rotors, and a few others things and I wanted to know the year to make sure I get the right parts.

Last edited by Brandon H.; 10-13-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53766
Well crap, I can't find my BOM number either. I think mine is also covered up by something. So hopefully you guys can help me out with those parts and if they will fit on that axle. Here is a pic of the axles.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32401
Send a message via Yahoo to hotwheelsYJ
They are the same thing and parts will be interchangeable.
The brakes didn't change until the late 90's on the TJ's.

If you have to get new shafts & want to keep the disco on the pass side ask for 95 model. They had the bigger 297 joints. Or just buy mine and get gears & spare shafts
Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 53766
Ok great, so I will be able to transfer over the tie rod, draglink, and calipers from the 94 YJ axle to the other one? Then I can go buy brake rotors for a 94 YJ and put them on the other axle also?