87 cherokee rpm's drop and stalls HELP!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55261
Unhappy 87 cherokee rpm's drop and stalls HELP!!

87 Cherokee Laredo, New Motor But Here My Problem Ran Great For 800 +miles,then On Backing Up One Day It Died,then 25 Miles Later 70 Mph Jeep Jerks Rpm's Drop To Zero,looses All Power Like Ignition Turned Off. Did It One More Time About 50 Miles Down Road. Now It Does It All The Time Idle,driving, Cold, Hot But It Has Got Worse As Now When The Rpm's Drop And Loose Power It Stalls Usually Will Start Right Back Up But Sometimes Have To Wait A Couple Minutes. Replaced Distibutor, Cps,ignition Module,vacuum Lines,relays Also Smells Like It Is Running Rich.what Is Weird Is On Two Occasions Of Setting For A Week Or So It Started And Ran Fine For 25 Or So Miles Then It Started Back Up Of Loosing Power But Not Stalling And Now We Are Back To Stalls Just Right After Starting. Don't Have A Drbii Nor Does This Year Have A Check Engine Light. One Point I Noticed Since It Has Started This I Do Not Hear My Realy Clicking In The Pdc Box Anymore, Seems I Have Always Heard It Before.any Ideals I Am Willing To Take Any Advice At This Point.
Tammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 47977
I have the same problem but haven't been able to pin it down either. I've gone over almost everything. It was great over the summer with new plug wires. If I start it and let it warm up for five minutes before driving, I don't have the problem. I'm thinking of a propane conversion and do away with the computer crap. I'll watch this post though for suggestions. Sorry, I couldn't help you but try the warm up and see if you have better performance.

k
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2005, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39627
from what your saying, I had the same problem. it would be fine and just die, also got progressivly worse. I found a crack on the air intake, I couldnt see it because it was on the underneath, The o2 censor wasnt reading it was getting any o2 and stoped sending fuel. I duct taped the crach and worked fine after that. my best guess is that the crack would open up whenever it wanted, so no air was being sucked past the o2 censor.

hope it helps
Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55261
Thanks, I Will Look At My Air Intake Box. Does Anyone Else Agree That I Should Hear A Relay Clicking In The Pdc Box With The Ignition Switch Turned To On? Not Sure If It Would Be The Fuel Pump Relay Or Latch Relay.the Fuel Pump And The Relays Are All New.have Thought About Soldering The Wires Direct On The Cps And Just Cutting Out The Stupid Connector.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 55261
By Chance Does Anyone Own A 87 Or 88 Xj? My Computer Crashed(shop Couldn't Retrieve Any Of My Data) And I Lost All My Digital Pics I Had Taking Of Where All The Vacuum Lines Went To And What Size They Were, So When New Motor Went In Found A Diagram But Had To Guess At Sizes Of Lines, And The Diagram Really Dosen't Show The Metal Thing That Has Three Holes And Has Three Vacuum Lines Running To It.plus I Am Real Concerned About The Size Of Line I Have Running To My Map Sensor As I Believe What Came Off Of It Was A Smaller Plastic Tube Line And I Now Have What Would Be Windshiled Washer Line On It But It Is Going To The Right Hole On The Rubber Plug At The Throttle Body.does Anyone Have Pics Of Thier Motor Or Vacuum Lines On Thier Computer For A 87 Or 88?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55261
The metal thing is the intake manifold vacuum fitting, it has 3 ports on the 1987 cherokee 4.0 and trying to decide exactly which port hole the fuel pressure regulator vacuum went on, is it on the top vacuum hole on this port?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 55261
Could this cause any issues the main bulkhead
connector (above the brake booster) that is attached to firewall with bolts and a mounting bracket use to set flush but when putting on exhaust manifold it got pulled away from the firewall I tried to bend the bracket so it would set flush with the firewall again but it wouldn't it now sets about 3" away it was about 100 miles later my problem with stalling started could I have loosened a wire or now it is just getting to much vibration? It appears to open up to so I think I will clean it and check wires. Does anybody no if this bulkhead connector is capable of causing stalling if it has issues?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 56112
Send a message via Yahoo to Danzig13
Danzig13's 87Wag4.0

Hey one of the biggest problems i'm havein is all the wire connectors are givin up(bad connections)everywhere the (TPS)gave me loads of trouble and after i check and found a dead spot on it,repaced it,everything ran soo much smoothly, the vacuum lines i need to take some pics and load them on here for ya........Danzig13
Old 11-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 55261
Okay guys I need HELP it seems I may be a woman but I understand more about my Jeep and it's Renix system than the mechanics in my town..they don't have the scanner for it and since I don't have a check engine light in the 87 that means good old troubleshooting but whats scary is they sound like I am nuts when I tell them what the Jeep is doing and that is scary as Jeeps have been known to have stall issues as well as electrical gremlins.
1. Installed new t-case, and while doing this pulled battery cables off since I also pulled the bulkhead connector and cleaned and regreased it.
2. I now have a pattern, ever time the jeep has ran good and I thought I had it fixed it was because I had pulled the battery cables for one reason or another.
3. This is the pattern, after reconnecting battery and the ECU is running off factory presettings she purrs like a kitten, it's only after I have drove it about 20 miles does the RPM's drop to zero,like ignition turned off but within 2 to 3 seconds regains it's self and will not do it again for a few more miles but eventually after being driven awhile will get so bad that when the RPM's drop it will not regain power and stalls, wait about 1 to 2 minutes and she will start but will stall again even at idle sometimes.
4. I think that during the computer relearn stage isn't the computer learning all the various sensors? If so wouldn't this make point to the direction of a bad sensor or connector and elimanate things like the ECU itself, fuel pressure?

Parts that I have replaced after the new motor that has not helped.
1. Distributor
2.ignition control module
3.cps
4.map sensor tested okay
5. fuel injectors
6. all new plugs, wires ect. during rebuild
7. all new relays
8. all new vacuum line and fuel line quick connects

so I was going to replace
1. coil
2. tps
3.coolant sensor
4. o2 sensor
5. ignition switch
now does anyone no if I could eliminate the coil and ignition switch or does the computer relearn all these as well because clearly what ever my issue is it only rears its ugly head after the computer relearn process.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55261
Wow today I started it and it idled then stalled but for the first time I noticed after it stalled the fuel pump kept running and only quite when i ran around and kicked the ignition switch off, first time to have done this.