Motor cuts out for a few seconds on the highway - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 12414
Motor cuts out for a few seconds on the highway

Did the search and am more confused than ever with all the sensors. Lately my 94 XJ 4.0 will die for 1-5 seconds while running 70 mph down the highway. The motor will like shut off then come back to life and keep running down the highway. There is no backfire or anything it is just like a switch on then off for a second or two then back on. So what is up with this thing????? It does suck when there is a big truck behind me and it does this.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12414
Would any of the sensors cause this, the fuel pump???
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24496
A pretty common problem is for the connector that connects the crank position sensor to the wiring harness gets corroded/dirty/etc... pull it apart and clean both sides and spray some di-electric grease in there, and put back together.

If that doesn't solve it, it may be the CPS itself going out... but in a lot of cases, it's the connector that's the problem.

Also, I had some symptoms similar to that (more like, the jeep kept running but it wouldn't accelerate, felt like the brakes were on or something) on a Renix-era ('87) XJ that turned out to be a bad O2 sensor... but it sounds like yours just simply quits running altogether, so it might not be the same thing.
NotMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12414
I'll try that and see how it does.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 47849
Sounds like a fuel pump. If it feels like your riding a bull down the highway then it's probably the fuel pump. Try what NotMatt said and then change your fuel filter, if that doesn't fix it, run a fuel pressure gauge inside your jeep and when it starts doing it watch the gauge. I'm pretty certain it's a fuel pump. If it is it's going to start cutting out for longer and longer and more often, or it may just suddenly die with no warning. NOT fun when that happens.

--*fixed triple post, IE was messing up and I didn't think it was connecting to database, sorry*

Last edited by SuckyJeep; 10-17-2005 at 08:44 PM.
SuckyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55261
Sounds Like How My Jeep Started Out But Has Progressivly Got Worse.already Replaced Fuel Pump And The Relays,cps,distributor,ignition Module, Now Will Check And Clean All Grounds Before Heading To Replace Anymore Sensors.seems From This Forum Jeeps Have Done This Often And It's Nuts My Started It 800 Miles Away From Home And Eventually Started Completly Stalling Going Down The Road And It Isn't Any Fun When You Have 18 Wheelers Behind You And All You Can Do Is Coast.
Tammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24009
Filter
Old 10-20-2005, 03:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55261
I was told because the cps connector has know issues and some wiring replacement kit was put out by jeep years ago that I should do away with the connector, by that I mean cut out the connector and solder the wires direct and then tape and insulate.Has anybody ever done this?
Tammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 46710
The throttle positioning sensor might be bad also, a very common issue.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12414
So it died on the way to work this morning, but after is sat for a little while it did restart. Died again so I called AAA, while waiting on them it started and ran for 10 minutes then died. After setting it does restart for awhile coil. cps anyother thoughts?????