2.5 getting overbore - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 50162
2.5 getting overbore

I have a 2.5 out of a 95 yj that I have at the machine shop right now. The plan is a .060 overbore on it with new pistons and rings along with all new bearings and connecting rods. Also plan on putting a 4.0 throttle body on. Should I run new larger injectors also? Would 4.0 injectors fit? I don't know if the 2.5's run lean at wide open or not. But after the headwork, boring, exhaust, and intake are done, will it be to lean?
silver_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_silver
I have a 2.5 out of a 95 yj that I have at the machine shop right now. The plan is a .060 overbore on it with new pistons and rings along with all new bearings and connecting rods. Also plan on putting a 4.0 throttle body on. Should I run new larger injectors also? Would 4.0 injectors fit? I don't know if the 2.5's run lean at wide open or not. But after the headwork, boring, exhaust, and intake are done, will it be to lean?
It's really hard to say. If the injectors are in good shape, you may be OK. Hate to say it, but the single best way to find-out would be to hook-up a wideband air/fuel ratio guage/datalogger once it's in. If you need larger injectors, the stock 4.0 injectors should be a direct swap. Ford Motorsport 19 lb/hr are also a good injector - same flowrate as older 4.0 injectors with a better spray pattern.
SubCultureNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 50162
Do you have any idea what the ford injectors would come out of? I can get used 4.0 injectors for free, but I might spring for new ford injectors if they are cheap enough.
silver_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_silver
Do you have any idea what the ford injectors would come out of? I can get used 4.0 injectors for free, but I might spring for new ford injectors if they are cheap enough.
Fox-body Mustangs (fuel-injected 302s from late '80s to early '90s) used that injector - you can usually find them cheap on eBay. I heard about them from XJ guys that used them as a cheap replacement for leaky stock injectors. They claim the spray pattern helps driveability - I had them in a '90 XJ.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13176
Fox-body Mustangs with the 302, from mid to late '80s to early 90s. They're typically pretty cheap on eBay.