New to the Board and Need lots of Help! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 56032
New to the Board and Need lots of Help!

Hey guys Im sure Im going to have lots of questions for all of you so I really hope you can help. I have a 1984 CJ7 with a I6. I want to throw a V8 in it. First I want to find out what to do about my driveline. I want something I can do the least amount of fabricating to but can handle a V8. Also if this helps this will strictly be a street Jeep. No offroading at all in this one. So Do I only need a rear axle or will I need a Tranny, Front and Rear Axle etc etc . And maybe Im going down the wrong road with a V8. I want a real throaty, huge cam sound out of the jeep. And maybe there is a way that I can build up the I6 to do that but I really like the sound of a V8. Thanks again guys for all the help
TJ0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
WOW... Just get an AMC v8 bolt in and go.... NO OFFROADING..... WOW

Nicey Nicey

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2005, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 56032
Yea we have a CJ5 we use for the offroad fun but it came with a V8. I like driving the Jeep so much I wanted this one for my street fun. So I can throw a AMC V8 in it with out changing the Tranny or Axles? From reading the posts it doesnt sound that easy. Plus I have a 305 and a 350 I can use. Just dont know about the drivetrain
Old 10-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43239
if you want the least amount of fab work , stick with the AMC motors , a V8 will drop in, upgrade the rest as you blow it apart
Ridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 54600
do you want the v8 just for the sound? or will you be running it hard on the street and want to use the power? potential power of a V8 + the AMC 20 sounds like bad news.

try to find a factory rear dana 44 from a 86 CJ, that will hold up to the AMC on the street.

84 [COLOR="Red"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]J[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]7[/COLOR], Runs on alcohol ([COLOR="Red"]Old Mil[/COLOR]).

1984, 7, 100", 38s, 44s, 5.38s, 350, 465, 300, 92:1
BildoStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 62
drop in an AMC v-8, if its making any power and you will drive it hard put one piece rear axle shafts. the end
Old 10-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 56032
Hey appreciate the input guys I took a real beating on the other board and I probably asked for it. I have done my share of rockcrawling with my CJ5 but I also want a Jeep for the street. I bought my CJ5 as is with no knowledge of how they got the Chevy 350 to work with all the components. So my problem is I have a CJ7 that I also want to throw a V8 in with no real experience. Im going to search for a AMC 304. Since this is going to be my main vehicle I dont want to drive it till some of the stuff breaks then replace it hehe. I would like to do it right so I would guess I would have to replace my Tranny and the axles if I use a 304? or do you think my original equipment can handle the stress. Im not going to race it down the street. I just want a nice sound with some power if I need it. I have been trying to search as much as possible for this information without asking you guys but its really tuff to find a forum or a discussion about a street setup. Thanks again guys