Jeep yj swap to full chevy axles questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 52289
Send a message via MSN to Dancj2
Jeep yj swap to full chevy axles questions

I have a 89 jeep yj. All the suspension is stock. I just got the axles out of a 3/4 ton 71 chevy. these axles were leaf spring.I believe that the axles are a 44 in front and a dana 60 in rear.I want to put the axles under my jeep. I have a few questions.
first, the front axle drop is on the passenger side on the chevy, and on the driver on the jeep. I heard there is a part that you can get to conv this. I dont know the name or if this is even a good option. Keep in mind these axles are free and have been geared and locked in the rear.

second, in doing this is there any secret parts that i will come across in the project? As in leaf spring mounting. doing this will give me spring over, do i need to make long brake lines, drop pitman arm? things like this.

When i take off the parts from the chevy, should i take anything else, like springs shocks...so on.

I am also getting the transfer case and would like to put it in too. It is the 205 transfer case. is there any problems with this since the jeep already has a zz4 chevy small block. I know that i will need new drivelines.

thank you
Dannie
Dancj2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 30627
i wouldnt waste the money on a chevy 44 front. unless you plan to turn the knuckles to fix the pinon angle problem then IMO its not worth it. save your money and find a ford HP44.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
El Presidente

Member # 38540
I smell some BullShit!!!.

WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

*ROCK BRAWLERS* So-Cal
www.RockBrawlers.com

Fifth annual SoCal Off-Road Truck Show . Coming 2013 .
www.OffRoadTruckShow.com
Infernal Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 02:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48153
Send a message via Yahoo to yj-mule
I am definately not an expert on SOA's, but I wouldn't attempt to do what you are mentioning. What I would consider doing is taking the free stuff you got, sell it comlete, or part it out. Keeping the lockers if you wanted to. No you don't want to keep the springs.

Then follow YjTim's opinion and get Ford axles. The general opinion is that Ford F250 or F350 D44's or D60's from the years 78-79 are already the correct width, and damn near direct bolt ins for YJ's. The perches are 1/4" off. In addition they are drivers side drop. A ford NP205 transfer case is also the way to go.

If you don't want to mess with ford stuff you can use Jeep Grand Wagoneer D44's, make sure it doesn't have the vaccume disconnect, they are generally the correct width. They came in narrow track, and wide track. The added bonus is the rear axles are already SOA. You will only have to convert the front axle.

Yes you will need longer brake lines, longer drive shafts, definately a slip yoke eliminator kit for your NP231 or TCase if it has a slip yoke. Longer shocks. and the list goes on.

There is a ton of info on the Board about SOA's for YJ's. Use the search option and SOA and YJ for keywords to start.

You can also check out this site
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/soa.html

I am doing an SOA on my YJ soon, and have been researching it for quite a while. No matter which route you take you will want to ge ahold of a welder ( or a friend with a welder) a grinder (to remove all of the brackets that arn't necessary), and several other fab tools to do the job. Look into an SOA kit like the one from Rubicon Express for the new spring perches, and other doo dads.

Most imortantly don't forget the steering. The pitman arm is the catch. If you SOA the existing axles, you can get a used ZJ pitman arm it is roughly the correct drop. If you are using the steering linkages from different axles like the 60 you will need to work that one out.

All in all read up on what people have to say about the SOA on this board, extremely helpful.

Good luck

Last edited by yj-mule; 10-26-2005 at 02:47 AM.
yj-mule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29415
Send a message via AIM to offroadmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancj2
I have a 89 jeep yj. All the suspension is stock. I just got the axles out of a 3/4 ton 71 chevy. these axles were leaf spring.I believe that the axles are a 44 in front and a dana 60 in rear.I want to put the axles under my jeep. I have a few questions.
first, the front axle drop is on the passenger side on the chevy, and on the driver on the jeep. I heard there is a part that you can get to conv this. I dont know the name or if this is even a good option. Keep in mind these axles are free and have been geared and locked in the rear.

second, in doing this is there any secret parts that i will come across in the project? As in leaf spring mounting. doing this will give me spring over, do i need to make long brake lines, drop pitman arm? things like this.

When i take off the parts from the chevy, should i take anything else, like springs shocks...so on.

I am also getting the transfer case and would like to put it in too. It is the 205 transfer case. is there any problems with this since the jeep already has a zz4 chevy small block. I know that i will need new drivelines.

thank you
Dannie

my situation is similar to this, except my free axles are both 10 bolts w/4.88 gears and detroits in both. the rear also has a c-clip elim kit with it. will these work with minimal fab? if not what fab is involved. i need to get rid of the junk d30 and d35 that is in it already. i am retaining the factory 258 i6 and am going to swap in a np435/d300 tranny t-case combo.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. ROMANS 10:13

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. JOHN 3:16
offroadmission is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29415
Send a message via AIM to offroadmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancj2

thank you
Dannie

my situation is similar to this, except my free axles are both 10 bolts w/4.88 gears and detroits in both. the rear also has a c-clip elim kit with it. will these work with minimal fab? if not what fab is involved. i need to get rid of the junk d30 and d35 that is in it already. i am retaining the factory 258 i6 and am going to swap in a np435/d300 tranny t-case combo.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. ROMANS 10:13

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. JOHN 3:16
offroadmission is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6340
Search here there is a ton of spring over stuff.

You can swap T-cases to run a Dana 300 and you would be ok with the Cheavy axles.

In what appears to have been an understatement, the plant operator described the situation at the Number 4 reactor as "not so good."

Super conversion calculator website

Love and kisses, Zaphod..
ItsaCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 52289
Send a message via MSN to Dancj2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Jeep
I wouldnt spend all that time writing this shit if i wasnt doing it. So thanks very much for your great input.
Dancj2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
Send a message via AIM to actionpaintball
I ran the same axles-good up to about a 35" tire with moderate wheeling. You need to either outboard your front springs-and just move your rear perches-OR cut into the front differential to add a new perch (I have done this myself and seen it done twice). Run a chevy tranny and tcase and you will be all set. Its that simple. And when you find that dana 60 you always wanted-it it another easy swap.

I kept my stock steering gearbox. You can either steer off the tierod or do a high steer converion and steer off the pass knuckle. Loose the boomerang steering-and keep the Jeep "style" gearbox set-up. I would reccomend a nice flat milled hiigh steer-passengers side knuckle and run your draglink and tierod off it-paired with a drivers side high steer arm as well.

Your stock front driveshaft will probably still work-your rear shaft will have to put cut-and you should look at going to a Double Cardan Joint and adjusting your rear pinion ange to match your driveshaft angle (Good write up in the tech section by BillaVista)

I use a modified YJ spring pack front and rear with an extra main leaf to prevent spring wrap.
actionpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.