broken turn signal, wiper, high beam lever - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 70416
broken turn signal, wiper, high beam lever

Hey, my younger brother ran full impact into the side of my jeep , and cracked that turn singal lever clear off the steering wheel column . Two smaller plasted pieces also broke off the inside box like thing that the lever fits into. How do I fix this? I think the pice inside got a little messed up too. When I stick the broken lever back in and pull back to like get the high beams to stay on it wont click into place, it just flashes the high beams. Sound like I have to replace both the lever and the box like thing on the inside? If so, how do I get in there and also how much am I going to get ripped off at the dealership for these parts? Thanks!
breakjeepparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 53301
Its called a turn signal switch on a CJ, they cost roughly 40-50 bucks depending on where you get it from.

To get at it, you will probably have to remove the steering wheel and all its guts till you reach the switch.

Have fun and dont loose any of those screws otherwise you will be.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
Send a message via AIM to actionpaintball
You can also replace just the armature of the lever without having to re route the wiring.

the switch is $25 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...spagenameZWD1V

I could not quickly find the white plastic section that brakes off-but have seen it for $13 separate. Worse case if you buy the whole assembly and just have to use the pieces from the head-and save all the wire routing time.
actionpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 70416
thanks for the replies! Do you think I could just JB weld this thing back together? I have all the pieces. Anyway, I'm going to try and get to this piece inside the steering wheel to see if there is anything I can do. So do I just start taking things apart starting with the steering wheel? Also, its a 93 YJ so I'm guessing that part from the eBay link wouldnt work.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
I think they are the same-the part that breaks that is...don't get carried away with ripping stuff out of the column-I think-just pull the wheel and the dust cover (plastic) and shine a light in there. When you see it-you will understand. Its a part thats more consuming than $$$ consuming
Old 04-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70416
I couldnt get the steering wheel to come off after removing the screws and center nut. Is there some sort of special tool that I need to remove the wheel? I think I remember reading that someone. However, there are no autozones or similar stores within an hours drive of me. If I do need a tool, is it possible to make one out of something? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
You need a steering wheel puller. 1/2 the time you can grab the wheel and rock it back and forth real hard-and it will pop off. Flat bar, two screws and a center bolts will pop it out as well