Buying a Jeep - What to look for??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 72667
Buying a Jeep - What to look for???

Hello. I currently have a '90 Toyota pickup I will be trying to sell. I am then going to buy a Jeep Wrangler. My question is, what should I look for when buying a Wrangler? I know to look for rust and all that, but I mean is there any certain parts or areas I should look at? I will be 4 wheeling in mud and water, but I want to go to a park and do a little rock crawling, but nothing major. I want to run some 37's eventually. So, is there anything I should stay away from or lean towards when buying a Wrangler? Thanks!!!
sr5_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 49539
Send a message via MSN to BCYJ
92 or newer YJ or TJ, 6 or 4 cyl its up to you, PERSONALLY If you find a 4cyl in good shape buy it over a 6cyl in not so good shape.

YJ if you have good kidneys, TJ if your kidneys will get pissed at you for the bumpy ride.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dabbler

Member # 29562
Send a message via AIM to actionpaintball
Stay fuel injected. 1992 and up 6 cylinders 4.0 or all 4 cylinders. Checks for rust behind both seats where the cage meets the floor (seabelt anchor) and especially the rear frame around the tires-get underneath and poke at frame with a screwdriver. Check steering gerabox play and if its maual-stall it all FWD gears and make sure it does not pop out. Make sure the front 4WD vacuum engages. Lift the cowl rubber on the windshield to check for rust. Try to buy a stock unmodified Jeep-that has not seen larger tire and offroad abuse. Check both seatbacks and maks ure the metal support has not rusted through. Check that both seatbelts retract and operate as they should.

1992 and up have a full family style cage
actionpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 72667
Thanks for the help. Now its just convincing my mom to let me do this. Ill update on the situation later. Thanks again for helping!
sr5_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5_4x4
Thanks for the help. Now its just convincing my mom to let me do this. Ill update on the situation later. Thanks again for helping!
Check the skidplate under the transmission, if its beat, its been wheeled. Also check the frame at the back of the front fender openings, at the top corners there should be a series of 3-4 holes drilled in the corners of the rectangular frame rail. These holes creat a weak point or crumple zone for front end collisions. If they are not round holes, or have been patched over, then the jeep has been in a wreck and repairs have been made.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.