Dana 60 hub disassembly guide - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43590
Send a message via AIM to BFJ93YJ
Dana 60 hub disassembly guide

I am currently rebuilding a front Ford (HP) Dana 60 out of a 1990 F-350 with lockout hubs. I am not very familiar with hubs and their disassembly (I currently have an HP D30).

I need to get the hubs off so I can pull the rotors and replace them, but I don't really know how to disassemble the hubs. I got the hub off (by taking off the 6 or 7 hex bolts). There is a gear (I assume to engage/disengage the front axle) that I pulled out and a spring behind that that I got out too....but I am not sure where to go from there and I don't want to screw something up. Do I need a special tool to take a nut off at the back of the hub that will allow me to pull it apart?

What I am really looking for is a link to directions that will walk me through it step by step. I can't search here and I couldn't find anything very useful on Google. If you have a link or good directions, please post it up!

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Have you looked at the TECH page?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/

The D60 bible by Billavista?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43590
Thanks for the links guidolyons. I found an article in the Tech section that helped a lot. I got a little closer to getting it apart, but I ran into another part that I can't seem to figure out. In the article (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ine/index.html) there are step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble the hub/rotor. I was able to follow most of it, but there is a section (starting with the 4th pic) that is totally different than my axle (1990 Ford). My axle looks totally different than the one he is working on, so I am having a hard time figuring it out.

I am currently at this stage:

This is not a pic of my axle; I found it in the D60 bible, but this is exactly what mine looks like right now. I need to get the three lock washers out, but I don't know how. There is a little cut-out in the out-side most washer, but no matter what I do with it, it wont move.

Does anyone have any pics of this being done or can walk me through it? Or better yet, does anyone have a link to a complete teardown of a FORD HP front D60? I have searched a lot, but all I come up with are Chevy articles.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67386
Send a message via AIM to HsOffRoad
If you are in fact at "that stage" then you need a special socket (or a chisel & hammer) to remove the locknuts that you see in the pic. They are standard thread, the first one comes off, then you remove a retainer (easiest with a pair of small magnets, one on each side) then you unscrew the inner locknut the same way. Make sure you are looking at the correct stuff. They did use different styles of locknuts over the years... but also be aware - if you haven't removed the hub guts yet, then that would explain why it looks different than the picture. The hub guts are retained by a small thin lock ring that fits in a groove near the edge of the hub casting. If there is grease in there you may very well be missing it. It needs to be pried out with 2 small screwdrivers and is generally a pain in the neck to remove unless you've done a few and have the system down. There is most likely also a snap-ring on the stub shaft that needs to be removed before the hub guts can be pulled out by screwing 2 of the cap retaining screws into the holes and pulling. Hope this makes sense, it's the best I can do without pictures.

Hans
"Shut Up And Wheel Your Junk" - UROC/NEUROC Super-Mod Team #143

Last edited by HsOffRoad; 07-02-2006 at 01:32 PM.
HsOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 48966
This is the socket,your ford dealer can cross reference you year to a part number for the cocket.I used the instructions hub instalation instructions for a guide when I did mine.
brokejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 63901
Yep. Need a Ford dana 60 socket. Different than the Chev/dodge ones (bastards.....found that out too late). Take off the first nut, then a washer comes out, then there is a second nut. From there the whole hub/rotor assembly will slide off the spindle as one piece.

Yes you can supstitute a hammer and chisle for the special socket. Just drive it into the edge of the nut to make it turn. It's slower but it works. Mine had to go this route.
Brink_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43590
Thanks for the helps guys, I am going to pick up the socket tomorrow.

HsOffRoad: You did a very good job explaining how to get the guts out. I had already gotten them out, but I would have been able to follow your directions. You're right; getting the big snap ring out takes patients and is a PITA!

Brokejeep: Thanks for the pic; now I'll know what I am looking for!

Does NAPA or other auto parts stores carry the socket? Or do I have to get it from a Ford dealer?

Thanks

Last edited by BFJ93YJ; 07-03-2006 at 05:44 PM.
BFJ93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.