Pirate 4x4 banner

14 bolt versus dan 60 hp

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  LCAC_Man 
#1 ·
What are the advantages/disadvantages of 14 bolt verses Dana 60 hp in the rear( weight etc.). Have star but my search isnt working .

thanks
Pat

#6 ·
patman1 said:
what is a good donor 14 bolt rear. right now have a TJ with dana 44.
You need to give us a good deal more info on what your trying to build. Are you looking to go full width? What size tires and what type of suspension do you plan to use? Are you doing anything with the front axle?
As was mentioned above 14bolts and standard Dana 60's are less than $200 at most pick-n-pull yards but most (some exceptions) are in the 65 to 69" wide range.

#7 ·
patman1 said:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of 14 bolt verses Dana 60 hp in the rear( weight etc.). Have star but my search isnt working .

thanks
Pat

apples and oranges patman.

14bolt is cheap, abundant, strong, etc. can be found in almost any yard for under $150.

dana 60 hp rear is gonna have to be custom. your gonna need an alignment jig and have to retube it. hp 60s are not that easy to find, usually more than $900, and still need more time and money to be put into it to make it a rear axle. all that, and its still not quite as strong.

so what are you looking for? cheap, easy and abundant, or expensive, time consuming and weaker, but slightly better clearance?

#8 ·
LCAC_Man said:
You need to give us a good deal more info on what your trying to build. Are you looking to go full width? What size tires and what type of suspension do you plan to use? Are you doing anything with the front axle?
As was mentioned above 14bolts and standard Dana 60's are less than $200 at most pick-n-pull yards but most (some exceptions) are in the 65 to 69" wide range.
Looking to strengthen the rig so I have a better chance of NOT braking down on the trail.

Currently have teraflex shortarms

Running 86 Waggy Dana 44 up front w/ warn hub conversion, original waggy inners. 4.56 gears
Rear is a TJ 2000 Dana 44 w/ dutchman axels 4.56 gears and a Rubicon disc brakes Nothing was done to housing width wise

Avalanche hy-steer crossover steering

Running 35" tires thinking of going to 37"

1999 TJ manual, 4.0 engine, looking to put Tera 4.1 in np231

#9 ·
87JeepWrangler said:

14bolt is cheap, abundant, strong, etc. can be found in almost any yard for under $150.

dana 60 hp rear is gonna have to be custom. your gonna need an alignment jig and have to retube it. hp 60s are not that easy to find, usually more than $900, and still need more time and money to be put into it to make it a rear axle. all that, and its still not quite as strong.

so what are you looking for? cheap, easy and abundant, or expensive, time consuming and weaker, but slightly better clearance?
Looking to go cheap, easy, and abundant.

#10 ·
87JeepWrangler said:

Looking to go cheap, easy, and abundant.

#11 ·
patman1 said:
Looking to strengthen the rig so I have a better chance of NOT braking down on the trail.

Currently have teraflex shortarms

Running 86 Waggy Dana 44 up front w/ warn hub conversion, original waggy inners. 4.56 gears
Rear is a TJ 2000 Dana 44 w/ dutchman axels 4.56 gears and a Rubicon disc brakes Nothing was done to housing width wise

Avalanche hy-steer crossover steering

Running 35" tires thinking of going to 37"

1999 TJ manual, 4.0 engine, looking to put Tera 4.1 in np231

I'm not sure on the waggy front width, I'm thinking it's in the 60" to 63" range
I believe that some of the Cab and Chassis (C&C) 14bolts came in a 63.5" width which should be a nice match for you, they're a little harder to find but still pretty cheap. You'll be looking at an 8 on 6.5 pattern with this axle so you could upgrade your front 44 outters to 3/4 ton 8 lug to match.
I think you'll have to rework your rear link system considerably to support the 14bolt.
37" tires are really pushing it at the stock wheel base unless you put a considerable effort on keeping you rig low to the ground, you may want to think about stretching it 6" to gain some stability.

#12 ·
LCAC_Man said:
I'm not sure on the waggy front width, I'm thinking it's in the 60" to 63" range
I believe that some of the Cab and Chassis (C&C) 14bolts came in a 63.5" width which should be a nice match for you, they're a little harder to find but still pretty cheap. You'll be looking at an 8 on 6.5 pattern with this axle so you could upgrade your front 44 outters to 3/4 ton 8 lug to match.
I think you'll have to rework your rear link system considerably to support the 14bolt.
37" tires are really pushing it at the stock wheel base unless you put a considerable effort on keeping you rig low to the ground, you may want to think about stretching it 6" to gain some stability.
What if I just stayed with the 35" tires ?

Thanks

#13 ·
For 35" tires, if you're going to be rock crawling I'd stay away from a 14 bolt rear unless you're going to shave it and grind the ring gear....you'll have a super-heavy duty axle that can take all kinds of abuse, but a huge disadvantage in clearance, and it'll weigh ALOT. This helps your COG some though...that's up to you. my suggestion is a ford 9" rear...but that's got such a low pinion unless you spend the bucks on a true Hi9 3rd....

I'd just stretch the wheelbase, nothing wrong with that, just a little more time and effort.

#14 ·
patman1 said:
What if I just stayed with the 35" tires ?

Thanks
Then I'd probably spend the extra cash and get a custom Hi-9 that will bolt up to your existing suspension(big $ savings), match your front axle wheel pattern(another $ savings), weigh a heck of alot less, and offer better clearance.
I agree that 35's are too short for the trail with a 14 bolt unless you shave the snot out of it and that's a PITA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.