Axle swap questions for my YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 73300
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 88
Axle swap questions for my YJ

I've done a lot of searching around for this info and haven't been able to find out all of what i'm looking for. I found a dana 44 front axle out of a '78 ford truck. I haven't talked much with the owner yet and all i know is that it's 8 lug and has warn hubs. is this a good axle to swap into a YJ? (i'm planning on going SOA with a dana 60 rear and run 37 inch tires)

anybody know the stock width (WMS to WMS) of the '78 dana 44?
also, what does "reverse cut" mean?
__________________
2000 F250 7.3 PSD

Last edited by Stangman516; 10-14-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13889
Location: Conifer, CO
Posts: 326
It's going to be around 65-67" wide.

"Reverse cut" means that, like your YJ dana 30, the ford is a high pinion axle.
__________________
CJ7, 1 tons, 5.7l, hummers, IROK's etc., etc.
scope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sand dune coon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Member # 57123
Location: Bay Area Cali
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman516
I've done a lot of searching around for this info and haven't been able to find out all of what i'm looking for. I found a dana 44 front axle out of a '78 ford truck. I haven't talked much with the owner yet and all i know is that it's 8 lug and has warn hubs. is this a good axle to swap into a YJ? (i'm planning on going SOA with a dana 60 rear and run 37 inch tires)

anybody know the stock width (WMS to WMS) of the '78 dana 44?
also, what does "reverse cut" mean?
no not a good axle, u want a 79 or newer those are high pinion also known as reverse cut..
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 69441
Location: N of Lansing, MI
Posts: 405
It is a great axle for what you want. It is a hp 44. IIRC if it is a F-250 not a converted F-150 it bolts in soa. If it is 8 lug it will be more like 68-69" wms.
__________________
Lj stretched Dana 80s 47s coilovers 5.8 aodw 203 205
99grandtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 73300
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99grandtj
It is a great axle for what you want. It is a hp 44. IIRC if it is a F-250 not a converted F-150 it bolts in soa. If it is 8 lug it will be more like 68-69" wms.
Awesome. thanks!
__________________
2000 F250 7.3 PSD
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
H Rated
 
jethrodeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 36099
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,398
Hey.... I have a 1979 8 lug F250 HP44 4:10 w/lock-right for sale. And yes the y are 69" wms. Both sides have machined flat tops for high steer. I have the pads adjusted for the spring centers. Straight bolt on. It is in perfect working condition. I am close to you as well. Let me know if you are interested.
__________________


Friends of Fordyce
jethrodeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 73300
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrodeg
Hey.... I have a 1979 8 lug F250 HP44 4:10 w/lock-right for sale. And yes the y are 69" wms. Both sides have machined flat tops for high steer. I have the pads adjusted for the spring centers. Straight bolt on. It is in perfect working condition. I am close to you as well. Let me know if you are interested.
PM sent!
__________________
2000 F250 7.3 PSD
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Member # 16008
Location: South Lake Tahoe
Posts: 46
hp 44 front, 9" rear with arb's and 37" mtr"s under my 89 wrangler.If you plan on wheelin it hard replace the stock axle shafts with some modern metalurgy...,I would save you this trouble.
billmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.