Nv4500? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 39045
Nv4500?

Toying with the idea of putting an NV4500 in my ZJ.
I've got an AX-15 for it but if I keep thinking why not swap the trans once.

So basically I want some info on what NV4500 to get for my appilcation? Suggestions on adapter kits (needs to bolt to a 231 case)? And whatever else you can come up with. I know I'll have to custom make mounts for it.
My cousin used the AA kit with his swap and hated it. Had to custom make stuff he said.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 37184
There's been a lot of discussion here on Pirate relating to the NV4500 into an XJ--same as a ZJ, I'd think. So you should spend time searching, using Google.
That said, Advanced Adapters (AA) is a great place to start your search for relevant info. I put an NV4500 into my XJ, against a Chevy V8, bolted to an AA transfer case, which was a direct replacement for NP231 case. I used the Dodge tranny, which has the same transfer case bolt pattern as the NP231. The swap isn't easy, and requires a lot of fabbing/welding to do right.
Bubba_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
The swap isn't easy, and requires a lot of fabbing/welding to do right.
This is defintely the truth.

I used a chevy NV4500 with an AA 712577 bellhousing mated to my SBC so that I could get the right input length and the lower first gear. Then I used a Dodge output shaft and an AA 51-0205 tailshaft housing to mate to the STaK t-case (designed for a Dana 300, but will work for the Atlas II and the STaK also). If you are using the 231, a stock Dodge tailshaft housing should work.

The only real fabrication I had to do for the trani in my CJ7 was a new crossmember to hold it up (no floor trimming required). Not sure if this the case with the ZJ or XJ. You will also have to change your driveshaft as the AX5 is 16" long and the NV4500 is 19.5" long. This may also create driveshaft angle issues depending on how much lift you run.

I did do quite a bit of floor trimming to fit the STaK.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 37184
On my XJ, I had to cut a significant hole in the tunnel, starting under the dash, where the heater outlet is located, all the way to the back edge of the original shifter hole .
The uni body depends on the tunnel for body rigidity, so it's necessary, IMO, to reconstruct the tunnel to retain the original strength. This is where the fabbing/welding came in. With the 2004 Dodge tranny, the shifter comes up just aft of the front of the console--so while mods were necessary, along with shortening and bending the shifter, it came out OK. I used AA's Chevy bell housing along with a Chevy input shaft. I was lucky, in that I didn't have to adjust drive shaft lengths.
Bubba_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39045
I know there will be a lot of cutting of the trans tunnel.
So if I use a 231, I shouldn't need an adapter for it to bolt to the Dodge NV4500?

Last edited by Yota Tony; 10-23-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Yota Tony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 39045
Alright so after driving my cousin's 98 TJ with this trans I am 100% sure that this is the trans for me.
So I have to ask, what year of truck (Dodge I assume) should my NV4500 come from? I've got an external slave cylinder and a 231 t-case, fyi.

I'm going to call Advance Adapters tomorrow and talk to them about the swap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.