Pirate 4x4 banner

14 bolt upside down?

4K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  spicker 
#1 ·
Has any ran a chev 14 bolt upside down (like a high pinion) if so what happen? did it last.

#7 ·
If you couldn't tell by the current response, you can't just flip an axle upside. Theres a hundred different reason why you can't do this, otherwise we'd all do this. Two main things, to remember here, if you flip the axle upside down, it will spin backwards, which means if your Jeep would have 5 reverse gears, and one forward gear. Also remember a high pinion is weaker than a low pinion in the rear.

#8 ·
Also the pinion bearings would not be probably lubricated and fail a lot faster due to the internal vanes

#9 ·
Couldn't you just flip the front and rear axle upside down, run the engine in reverse using some boat parts, and call it a day:laughing:

#10 ·
If you flip the front axle and the rear axleand put the driveline in backwards ie rear output to front axle and vice versa then yes it would all turn the right direction but there are still a million reasons why this will not last, drive properly etc.

#11 ·
not an expert on this-but I do know that a high pinion axle has internal lubricant routing for keeping the pinion bearing lubed. It's a cast in the housing channel that catches the lube flinging off the ring gear and lifts it up to the pinion bearing. Hope that description makes sense. If you saw what I'm talking about it would make sense. I suppose there are ways around this, but as stated the high pinion is not a perfect answer for rear axles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.