TJ 1 Ton Axle Swap Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67642
TJ 1 Ton Axle Swap Questions

Hey, Planning my 1 ton build for when I get back from the desert, and am running into some questions. The Lift I'm looking at has adjustable front/rear, upper/lower control arms and front track bar, I'm also getting a SYE so I can get whatever driveshaft I need. I'm planning on running a 6" lift with 1" BL and 36" tires on my 14B r, hp60 front.

Heres the questions, what should my pinion angle be at? Since I have the SYE and adjustable everythings is there a better setting than just pointing at the trans case? Also, since I'm starting from scratch, would stretching the wheelbase be that worth it for 36s? I dont think Ill have much room in the rear with my stock tank but maybe I could scoot up the front a little.

Any advice would be great, thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16648
with the 4 link, a pinion angle pointed at the t-case works well with a CV style shaft.

In the front, you have to find a compromise between pinion angle and castor angle on the D60. In a TJ, castor is going to critical, to keeping death wobble to a minimum without any type of hydro assist.

Stretching the wheel base is always cool, but to do correctly, requires quite a bit of effort and relocation. 100 to 103" seems to be a great wheelbase for all around wheelin.
Asshogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2006, 05:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67642
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to keep waiting to do a rear stretch, just got the idea from a friend to stretch out the front an inch or 2.

Also, from anyones experiance, any problems running a stock front driveshaft with an adapter to fit the 60? (assuming a 1350 or so) also, couldn't I just use shims to fix castor? that was my plan to keep the font pinion angle good, any input would be great, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.