2 stick, cut out, line lock steering - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81115
2 stick, cut out, line lock steering

What's the scoop on this?

Near as I can tell, people put independant line lockers on the back wheels (one each), and some kind of "cut out" (one each?) on the front, then by utilizing neutral on the tc effect power slide turns.

What hardware is used for the cut outs? how exactly does one shift the front/back while utilizing these break system modifications?
timpanogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31552
they are called cutting brakes. you disconnect the rear driveshaft and use front wheel drive only. the rear is not being powered, so if you use the cutting brake on one wheel, it locks, the other free spins. its called a front dig.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
They are called "cutting brakes", and to use them they do a "front dig" to turn tighter. It requires modification of the transfercase to allow you to shift into F(ront)WD or R(ear)WD or 4WD, not all transfercases can be modified for this though. Dana 300, Dana 20, NP 205 are some popular xfercases than can be modified. Atlas and Stak 'cases are already made for it. Chaon driven 'cases like NV231/241 can not be modified for FWD. Cutting brakes can be cable actuated like an emergency brake or plumbed hydraulically in to the brake system.

Edit: Damn I type too slow...
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

Last edited by guidolyons; 12-20-2006 at 06:02 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 81115
so, are the "cutting breaks" simply 4 line lockers? I assume a back dig (reverse, neutral front) is also possible? For example, If I wanted to shift the rear to passenger, I might turn hard passenger, line lock the passenger front, disengage front and romp it once in reverse.

I have a 4sp atlas so have everything but high fwd only.

In the olden days we had these red "micro line lockers" that had this camed handle. You just mashed on brakes and pulled up the handle. I think they were used mostly on trackors ... I'm having a hard time finding any of these anywhere?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 81115
another example, The other night we are on a dirt road with a foot of snow. We slide off the road, both driver side wheels in a 3' drop while passenger side still on the road. Not really stuck, but can not get turned back on road, stuck running the rutt as it where, but would never get out of it forward or back, it seems if we could have line locked both passenger wheels, the jeep would have pivoted 90 and let us back on the road. Does this work in practice?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 39935
i have cutting breaks. i got mine from poly performance. the company makes them is cnc. it is like a master cylinder will and handle and no reservoir you pull or push the handle and it pumps the brakes thus locking them up. they sell and dual piston and single piston. i have the dual one and each rear brake has its own cutting brake so they can be controled seperately. here is the link. http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/home.php?cat=381. i have this only on the rear. i have not seen a jeep/buggy have them on the front. i dont think you would need them on the front brakes.

Last edited by redsandman6; 12-20-2006 at 07:32 PM.
redsandman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24640
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpanogos View Post
another example, The other night we are on a dirt road with a foot of snow. We slide off the road, both driver side wheels in a 3' drop while passenger side still on the road. Not really stuck, but can not get turned back on road, stuck running the rutt as it where, but would never get out of it forward or back, it seems if we could have line locked both passenger wheels, the jeep would have pivoted 90 and let us back on the road. Does this work in practice?
not really...both front wheels spin due to a "twinsticked" tranfer case being shifted into front wheel drive only while they are turned towards whatever direction you want to pivot in, the back tire on whatever side you want to pivot towards is the one that is locked, the other one just freewheels.

The presence of lockers would prevent you from doing what you are describing

Thanks to our partners: Bulldog Winch, Jackson Powertrain, Winchline.com, BFG, Raceline wheels
jmhinescj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 81115
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandman6 View Post
i have cutting breaks. i got mine from poly performance. the company makes them is cnc. it is like a master cylinder will and handle and no reservoir you pull or push the handle and it pumps the brakes thus locking them up. they sell and dual piston and single piston. i have the dual one and each rear brake has its own cutting brake so they can be controled seperately. here is the link. http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/home.php?cat=381. i have this only on the rear. i have not seen a jeep/buggy have them on the front. i dont think you would need them on the front brakes.

Very cool, thanks ... now I understand what they mean by "cutting breaks".

Question ... is there a lock out on those handles? In other words, can you use these as line lockers also? If not, do you still find at least a single line locker (lock all four wheels) for e-break/winching break .. to keep presure off your parking pawl?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
It's a MICO line lock, not micro. http://www.mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=43

BREAK is what happens to you when your BRAKES don't work and you hit a tree.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 39935
no locks in the cnc cutting brakes. you would have to get a line lock like the ones that are stated earlier
Old 12-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 81115
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
It's a MICO line lock, not micro. http://www.mico.com/products/displaysubinfo.php?id=43

BREAK is what happens to you when your BRAKES don't work and you hit a tree.
give a dumb guy a brake, um errr break. I searched high and low for that darn lever locker! We used them as kids. Between my spelling of brake and the micro ... never did find a thing! search for "line locker" does not help either. I found electric ones and one button push one from Jamar, but that was it!

Thanks for that link (and the spelling lesson).
Old 12-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
There are two different products being talked about here:

1) Line Locks, which are block off valves that go into the brake lines. To do a cut with those, you'd stomp on the brakes, then flip the switch to lock up the tire of your choice(closes the valve to keep pressure in that line), then you let off the brakes. The other wheels are released.

2) Cutting brakes. These really come from the dune buggy world(and other places). Most good dune buddies have them, because the front ends are so light they just plow straight ahead at speed in the sand. These actually have a master cylinder in them. So pulling the level will engage the brake without touching the brake pedal. You can get single levels, or one that will lock one wheel if yo push forward, and the other wheel if you push backward.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
There are two different products being talked about here:

1) Line Locks, which are block off valves that go into the brake lines. To do a cut with those, you'd stomp on the brakes, then flip the switch to lock up the tire of your choice(closes the valve to keep pressure in that line), then you let off the brakes. The other wheels are released.

2) Cutting brakes. These really come from the dune buggy world(and other places). Most good dune buddies have them, because the front ends are so light they just plow straight ahead at speed in the sand. These actually have a master cylinder in them. So pulling the level will engage the brake without touching the brake pedal. You can get single levels, or one that will lock one wheel if yo push forward, and the other wheel if you push backward.
True... two separate things, but he had asked about both, sort of. I was trying to keep it as a simple explaination. Redsandman posted the info on the cutting brakes from Poly Performance, I was just helping him find the mico line locks he was looking for. Armed with the correct spelling, his search for "cutting brakes" will turn up more results

Last edited by guidolyons; 12-24-2006 at 03:33 PM.