do i need trac bars - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80641
do i need trac bars

ok before everyone starts argueing about this one please read this. Im not going to be driving this jeep on the street. It is a trailer queen. Ive been reading about how after performing an soa some people that use there jeeps for driving alot use track bars but im not going to be on the street ever. Do i need to use them after i complete my soa? Pros and cons of not using them?
offroadjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84003
My cj5 is soa with yj spring I need to install traction bars but no trac bar
muddpuppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80641
trac bar is a traction bar

Last edited by offroadjunkie; 12-21-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 58117
Have I lost it?

Track bars center the axles left/right under the vehicle.

Traction bars are mounted to the rear axles of performance vehicles to hold the rear tires on the ground (prevent bounce on take offs), hence improving traction.

I am not a leaf spring guy, however, I know a lot of leaf sprung guys who removed their track bars. Will the spring over change this? I don't know.

BTW, I have never seen traction bars on a Jeep. I guess you could install them. I have just never seen it
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 03:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 84018
from what ive read u dont need it... i havent done mine yet but im gettn ready to an i aint puttin it on cuz leafs wont move side to side like a spring will. im also doin hysteer
86xjsoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 74716
Don't need them I have a soa and it's my dd, but's your call.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 80641
cool thanks guys they are staying off. Minute i get my jeep back from the fuel injection shop im taking them off. How much gain in flex do you think i will be gaining?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55802
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunkie View Post
trac bar is a traction bar
TRACK bar (note the K) is what Jeep/Chrysler calls a pan hard bar. A TRACTION bar or ladder bar (in drag circles) or anti-wrap bar keeps the axle from wrapping up the springs onto themselves as torque is applied to the axle. This mostly affects leaf spring vehicles that do not have a link suspension that would otherwise locate the axle correctly. A pan hard bar centers the axle under neath the frame so it doesn't shift side to side.

These are totally different things for totally different purposes. Using the term "trac bar" is what caused a bit of confusion.

Lots of YJ owners report running no pan hard bar on either end because the leafs seem to do a good enough job at locating the axles underneath the frame.

Barry

Last edited by xFallen; 12-21-2006 at 02:39 PM.
xFallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 80641
ok just to make sure i am removing the right bar under my jeep.... i want to remove the one that goes left to right if your looking at the grill of your jeep correct? i think the rear on attaches to the frame on the passenger side and im going to pull that out asap. Hopefully it will give me some more droop.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 69049
Send a message via Yahoo to jeeperak
they both run left to right/right to left. with a mnt on the frame and one off the axle, i took both off my yj after doing the soa, still kept trac, but i would look into running/making a anti axle wrap bar for the rear

STFU bitches, it's Santa". whoops.
jeeperak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 84003
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunkie View Post
ok just to make sure i am removing the right bar under my jeep.... i want to remove the one that goes left to right if your looking at the grill of your jeep correct? i think the rear on attaches to the frame on the passenger side and im going to pull that out asap. Hopefully it will give me some more droop.
From what you are saying I am amusing you are talking about a track bar and not a traction bar yjs have track bars stock you can remove both front and rear if you like.

My need for traction bar is to get rid of the axle wrap when in thick mud
muddpuppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1792
I have a CJ-7 with SOA and no SR.I have thought about adding a pan hard bar to it.When bound up is the rocks the axle will move side to side about 6" or so.Which limits the steering output.Adding a pan hard bar would keep the axle centered and let the steering do its job.On the rear I wouldn't worry about it.
On Jeeps with a SR this doesn't seem to happen as bad if at all.I just don't like the SR because of the related problems with the DS,pinion angle and such.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 70561
I removed the track bars from my stock yj a couple of months ago and it rides much better. Cjs never had a track bar and they were fine. They originally put them on the yjs when they came out with them because they were trying to appeal to a larger market. They put track bars on them to cut down on body roll because they wanted soccer moms to drive them but knew they would still drive it like a car as opposed to an offroad vehicle. If you think about the design though it stands to reason your jeep would not flex worth a damn, one end of the trac bar or pan hard bar mounts to the frame and the other to the axle on a tj or xj when you lift one you have to change the track bar or relocate it because it pivots at the frame end and throws the axle out of center. i.e. the axle moves side to side as the frame moves up and down. Now, if you mount the same style of track bar on a leaf sprung vehicle the leafs will prevent most side to side movement which in turn would cause the leafs and the track bar to oppose each other causing your jeep to ride like ass.

Last edited by Got Wood?; 12-21-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Got Wood? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.