Looking for suggestions/feedback on my planned lighting - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81850
Looking for suggestions/feedback on my planned lighting

So I got a set of Rokmen Corner Guards the other day and I have a lot of work to do before they go on, but I want to get everything lined up to go before I start.

Here's what I have so far:
Two Grote flush mount LEDs for the tail lights (with mounting flanges)
Rokmen corner guards unpainted and custom made without the normal holes for the tail lights

Here's what else I need:
Backup light
Rear rock light (I might combine this with the backup light)
Rear side markers (ignoring for now)
License plate mount and light

So installing the tail lights and the corners themselves are no problem, but since they need to be powder coated, I want to make sure I cut all of the holes at once before painting.

One idea I have is to fab a bracket and relocate the license plate to the spare tire. On that bracket I can mount the plate light and another light wired to serve as a backup light and a rear rock light. It would normally be pointed at a downward angle and would be wired to come on when I am in reverse. Additionally I plan to wire it so I can turn it on independently as well (for night wheeling).

My other idea is the same as above, but the bracket would have only the plate and plate light. For backup lights, I'd cut holes in my rock crawler bumper and install lights there (flush lights would naturally put them at a downward angle). My major concern there is that i don't have a torch, so that would limit me to a round hole. For backup lights that would be fine, but if I wanted to use those lights for rock lights as well, I don't think round lights would throw a good pattern. If the bumper lights turned out to be only backup lights, then I need to find a good place to mount a rock light. My tire carrier might work, but the Warn doesn't have a whole lot of room for extras. Especially when I move up to a 35 inch spare.

Does anybody have any suggestions as for lights to use, or better methods, etc.?

Thanks,
Andy
mendriel is offline   Reply With Quote